BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] £15 M To Spend - What Are You Strengthening And Who Are You Buying?

As far as a striker goes, I'd like a player who's at a decent age (mid 20s) with Premier league pedigree, with perhaps a point to prove.

I realise these are in a short supply, but I would be delighted with Bent, Crouch or Pavlyuchenko (agent has said he's looking for a new club).

That said, even if these players wanted to join, financially I'm not sure it would be wise.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would that be the same Mbia who's in talks with Everton over a 7million pound move? The same Emana who joined Betis barely a year ago for 5 and a half million? :blink:

I was under the impression Mbia was available on a free for some reason.

About Emana, they have just been relegated. Id think about 3 million Euros could be enough, or maybe even a loan move.

Guest benmaxwell
I was under the impression Mbia was available on a free for some reason.

Ah, your getting confused with M'bami. Easy mistake to make...

I don't like Cisse. All he'd bring is pace. He seems to have a bad attitude . We need players who'll give it a go not more prima donnas.

Chimbonda I rate as player, he could be anything he wants to be footballwise. He's got all the tools. Trouble is, his head's up his own arse ! Could Sam sort him out ? Could be, but it's a gamble.

Sidwell is a good shout, we're in desperate need of a midfielder who can support the attack and get beyond the front two. I can't remember the last player we had that could do that on a regular basis. He could be got I think, it would cost but it wouldn't break the bank.

Papa Diop would have been handy two seasons ago, I think he's on the way down now. We'd have to get Grella off the wage bill first before another defensive midfielder can come in I think.

As far as attacking players are concerned a lot depends on the style of play Sam will go with. If he stays true to his days at Bolton we could get the Smith/Nolan type of one dimensional up and at 'em grafters. We'll see. I'd like a bit more football please. Anybody up for rescuing Andy Reid at Sunderland? Not a Sam type midfielder, but I like him. Good left foot and the brains to go with it.

Right Back- Civelli, Chretien or just keep emo there

Right Mid (something we desperately need if di santo is coming, because of the crosses they provide) -

Ahmed Al Mohamaddi (looks quality),

Adam Johnson (quick, young and powerful and could easily be trained to cross well)

Defensive Centre mid-

Steven Nzonzi- possible new Vieira at a cheap price

Tom Huddlestone- great passer and unfulfilled at Spurs

Maniche- A freebie portuguese international could be well worth getting

Attacking midfielder-

Shikabala - can also play as a Forward and has bags of pace and flair

Nuri Sahin - Usually a defensive mid but has an eye for goal and a great passer of the ball -the next Tugay

Forward

Mohamed Zidan - Class player who has a huge array of tricks and is also inteligent, remeber Roque's scoring record

Marc Janko - Has a great touch and skill for someone of his size, could prove to be more of a Roque than an Afonso Alves?

Tuncay-Another player in the Zidan mould, an automatic fans favourite but will probably move to a big club

Franco Di Santo - My chelsea supporting mate is always bangin' on about this guy, with the right right winger :wacko: he could be a great goalscorer, if he does well I hope we bid on him

A lot of players being named would want huge wages. Realistically we're not going to go for anyone on more than 45-50K a week I wouldn't have thought. It's all very well to want to cover the RB/CM/Striker but collectively whoever we bring in won't be able to get more than 100K a week I wouldn't have thought. JW came out and said we had to reduce the wage bill, and so far we've probably reduced 80-100K of that.

Therefore unless we are able to further clear some deadwood (Rigters/Gallagher/Brown) then people like Owen, Crouch and co are just unrealistic, even if we can now match the fee they're wanting. 15m is great, but it's only half of the problem.

hello all,

I thought I would give my 2 pence worth

Right Midfielder: Spiderman-Jonas Guitierrez-(NUFC), Ahmed Al Muhammadi-(Egypt)-quality player,

Attacking Midfielder: Shikabala- lots of pace exactly what we need,

Strikers: Janko-quality forward in the same mould of RSC, Zidan-quality Egyptian forward scoring some good goals, Di Santo- scores some great goals

I would like to see Crouch/Tuncay but both bigger clubs than us are after them and wages could be a big problem with both of these esp Crouch I know I said Spiderman at the beginning would raise a few eyebrows a right sided midfielder of all the rubbish we have been linked to from that club of all the rubbish he I feel was one of the stand-out performers and feel with the right coaching can only improve with age and as he is only 25 would definitely be bringing the age of the squad down.

Going off what we know so far I'd say these positions are likely to be targeted:

2 new strikers (Derbs): Di Santo, Bent.

1 New targetman (Cruz): Janko is the obvious one. Zidan, perhaps. Crouch?

Right Back: Civelli or Chretien

2 Centre Midfielders: M'Bami, Shikabala, Huddlestone,

Right Midfielder: Al hahbsfiabfiabfasf. Number 3 for Egypt.

If we get 1 targetman, two cheaper, quick players, a good RM (Al mummy would be good) a cheap but experienced right back, 1 playmaker and one powerful running midfielder, we'll be looking at Europe.

Over to you, Sam.

hello all,

I thought I would give my 2 pence worth

Right Midfielder: Spiderman-Jonas Guitierrez-(NUFC),

I'm sure someone came up with a statistic about him. Didn't he fail to make any assists or something daft? I'm probably getting that wrong. Either way, i don't see us putting a right sided winger/midfielder high on the list of priorities. Diouf did a good job last season plus this Van Heerden can play there i believe.

I'd like to buy into this £15m transfer kitty business. But i'm afraid i've supported Rovers for too long and its made me a cynical old sod. I'd be suprised if we re-invested anything over £10m. To my mind we'll see two strikers come in. One quite established, probably around the £5m mark, and probably this lad from Chelsea, Di Santo. If not him then another loan job from somewhere.

The rest of the cash will probably go on a centre midfielder. I'd like to offer up some names but it would be pretty pointless and complete guess work. One thing i will say is i don't expect it to be someone with craft and guile. More a physical presence, capable of scoring goals from midfield. For instance a Tim Cahill not a Niko Kranjčar. I say this because i'm certain we won't change our direct approach next year. Get the ball out wide and pepper the box with crosses. I think Sam will opt for a real driving force through the middle who will get on the end of crosses and assist the front man with the goal quota.

Lastly i think a right back should come in. Probably on the cheap as the bulk of our funds will go on the above.

To my mind that gives us very good balance. Emerton + ? (RB), Warnock + Givet (LB), Nelsen, Samba + Givet (CB), Diouf, Emerton + Van Heereden (RM), Grella, Dunn, Van Heerden, Reid, +? )CM), Pedersen, Van Heeden + Diuof (LM), Roberts, McCarthy + ? (CF)

Please people explain why you want Janko, he has been around the scene for a good time now, had a bad injury and has never been prolific till this season where he hit goals in a mickey mouse league. 6million? Joke...

Striker - Crouch or Bent

Centre midfield - Reo-Coker and Huddlestone

Right back - Justin Hoyte

Oh and with Downing being out for a while stick in a season long loan. He will get chance to impress and we get someone to kick gamst up the arse.

--------------Bent------------

Downing---------------Diouf

------Dunn--Reo-Coker----

-------Huddlestone--------

Warnock-Givet-Samba-Hoyte

-------------Robbo-------------

A side with over half being english will be a novelty.

Guest benmaxwell

A side with over half being english will be a novelty.

Where does the 35 million pounds come from to buy those players?

Guest benmaxwell
Jonathan Greening WBA Midfielder - Not good enough

Frazier Campbell Man Utd Striker - Too expensive!

I honestly feel we do not have the type of midfielder we require playing in English football, we need a player who can put his foot on the ball, pick a pass and support the attacking players, if someone knows of a British player who can do that, let the club know.

The closest one I have seen in Britain is Pedro Mendes, but we wont get him now Rangers are in the champs league!!

I do mean gettable ones, not Gerrard, Rooney, alonso etc!!

If Sam wants to bring in a tall target man striker (if we bring in Di Santo on loan i don't see the point of bringing in another big striker) i think he should make a serious move for Pogrebnyak. The guy is quality and his contract is running out. I remember when Spurs bought Pavlyuchenko, i thought they bought the wrong Russian.

Guest benmaxwell

Bent about 8-10

Huddlestone and Reo-Coker 5 a piece

Hoyte 2 or 3

Bent - £7m-£8m

Downing - £10m (English / Wanted by Spurs)

Reo Coker - £6m (bearing in mind he's English)

Huddlestone - £6m (valuation by Spurs)

Hoyte - £5m (English)

= £35 million

Striker - Zigic and if you have enough money left over, Kevin Doyle.

Right Back - Philip Degen (Liverpool, solid player and would get him on the cheap)

Centre Midfield - Jamie O'Hara (4 million although the fee could be reduced to about 3.2 million upfront + add ons)

In relation to Cisse, he could be quality if he played a substnatial number of games alongside a tall forward.

At Sunderland he was good alongside Jones but they too often went 1 up front .

He has pace and can score as well as create. I am certain a di Santo/Cisse combination or even a McCarthy/Cisse cpmbo would be effective.

We are so desperate for a central midfield general, that is where we need to strengthen.

Archived