BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Kevin Davies - The Second Coming...?

Would you be in favour of re-signing Kevin Davies?  

453 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be in favour of re-signing Kevin Davies?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on Price
    • I'd rather have Grooby upfront

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kevin Davies has been pretty good for Bolton, but he doesn't get me excitied. And he's now a bit old. I'd much rather take a bit more of a risk on Janko or Darren Bent than Davies. Unless we somehow get him for around £2m or less, and use the money on some serious talent in midfield.

I could be well off the mark, we could have £15 million to spend.

But if Kevin Davies is being touted as a possible target you have to be worried.

didn't we spend £7.5m (my mistake) on a young unexperienced striker named Kevin Davies quite a few years ago?

..that went well didn't it.

I think Sam is stickin with what he knows and not takin an expensive gamble on someone who could well end up sh*t

Guest benmaxwell

If Kevin Davies is the quality were going to bring in...

I'm going to make a change of tack...

STAY SANTA CRUZ... PLEASE STAY!! :(

Kevin Davies has been pretty good for Bolton, but he doesn't get me excitied. And he's now a bit old. I'd much rather take a bit more of a risk on Janko or Darren Bent than Davies. Unless we somehow get him for around £2m or less, and use the money on some serious talent in midfield.

Bolton won't want to sell and if we sell Roque they will assume we have a decent amount of money to spend. Just how much would Sam be willing to pay for him if he really wants him. I can see us having to pay £5 million minimum (how long does he have left on his contract?)

I'm sorry but we can do a hell of a lot better than Davies and for cheaper.

I know he was a bit of a flop at Rovers last time he was here, but Sam knows the system he wants to play, he wants a target man to ruffle some feathers, illustrated by the way he deployed Samba late on last season, the system works and Sam knows Davies well, revived his career and in all fairness, despite the past, in that particular role, there arent much better around!!!

We still need a top midfielder along with some pace though

He is a good target man provided the monies right he may not be a bad signing Sam knows hes tried and tested. I still don't see him being RSC's replacement though.

Seems a strange mix of strikers. Two battering rams in Roberts and potentially Davies. Sluggish Benni and the untested Di Santo.

No pace whatsoever!

I think we may see another coming we need a lot more pace for this to work.

Seriously, Nicko? Davies?

Not quite the exotic forward man a lot of us were expecting. Sure, he can do a job, but he's hardly an investment at 32. What kind of figures are being speculated here?

Anyone do Fantasy League? This is how the Premiership Forward table looked for last year

Forwards »

Anelka

CH 9.9 179

Agbonlahor

AV 8.5 146

Van Persie

AR 9.7 145

Robinho

MC 9.2 145

Crouch

PO 7.7 138

Berbatov

MU 9.5 138

Davies

BW 6.8 136

Torres

LI 12.5 135

Rooney

MU 10.7 135

Keane

TH 8.5 129

Cole

WH 5.8 127

Adebayor

AR 10.7 122

Carew

AV 7.6 114

Defoe

TH 7.9 113

Cisse

SU 6.3 112

Bent

TH 6.9 111

Not all bad my friends. This is not the agricultural labourer signed by Roy Hodgson, but one of the most intelligent footballers in the League today. And one of the most effective. And yes one of the most consistent - admittedly his high ranking comes from playing the games he does week in and out as opposed to the pampered elite that sit below him. But I for one have had enough of star strikers peeling grapes of a match day. Believe in the Archangel.

You all realise that we haven't actually signed Kevin Davies, don't you? Just because Nicko says something doesn't mean we should accept it as 100% truth, calm down and remember that this is only a rumour from a journalist not a concrete development.

Also, even if Big Sam was given every last penny of the Santa Cruz money to spend, who would you be expecting us to sign? We've heard that the club is looking to make major cuts to the wage budget, which pretty much rules out most of Europe's big names. Plus, all season we've been saying that the team needs at least 4 new players, then as soon as silly season starts you throw around ideas like Berg and Dzeko, either of whom would account for the majority of our hypothetical transfer budget before we've bothered to address the defence or the midfield that is unanimously regarded as being in need of improvement.

Why does everyone always expect miracles? We should know by now that we aren't likely to turn up with quick young attackers with big reputations on our budget.

EDIT: Kevin Davies got 12 goals last season. How many did our top scorer accrue in the league?

Oh my, to say that I am underwhelmed is an understatement, we should not be paying good money for a 32 year old striker, if he is free then fair enough but this will send out completely the wrong messages!

Positive news will be that Bolton will not want to sell (here is hoping)

Edit: Hold on Capello is looking at Davies for the England team and my best mate who supports Bolton states that he is the bedrock of the side- £1 million and I'd take him no more!

There is this, but still :blink:

Premiership Top Scorers 2008/2009

1 Nicolas Anelka Chelsea 19

2 Cristiano Ronaldo Manchester United 18

3 Steven Gerrard Liverpool 16

4 Fernando Torres Liverpool 14

Robinho Manchester City 14

6 Kevin Davies Bolton Wanderers 12

Darren Bent Tottenham Hotspur 12

Frank Lampard Chelsea 12

Dirk Kuyt Liverpool 12

Wayne Rooney Manchester United 12

Gabriel Agbonlahor Aston Villa 12

12 Ricardo Fuller Stoke City 11

Peter Crouch Portsmouth 11

John Carew Aston Villa 11

Robin Van Persie Arsenal 11

16 Matthew Taylor Bolton Wanderers 10

Robbie Keane Tottenham Hotspur 10

Jermain Defoe Tottenham Hotspur 10

Djibril Cisse Sunderland 10

Benedict McCarthy Blackburn Rovers 10

Emmanuel Adebayor Arsenal 10

Carlton Cole West Ham United 10

Kenwyne Jones Sunderland 10

Amr Zaki Wigan Athletic 10

25 Dimitar Berbatov Manchester United 9

Stephen Ireland Manchester City 9

Nicklas Bendtner Arsenal 9

Its got to be a sick joke, if memory serves me correct:

When we signed him first time around - we paid £7m and threw James Beattie in as part of the deal

When we got rid of him, we gave him to Sothampton (can't remeber fully) and paid more for Egil Ostenstad

So... we've probably had a net cock-up of £15m on this muppet (best thing he ever did was score 4 in the reserves one night).

Great idea... lets spend some more on him.

Guest benmaxwell

I just been thinking, how could we play Gamst, Davies and Diouf in the same squad? :huh:

Why are we only being linked to 30+ year olds, isn't our squad old enough?!

Someone please tell me why some people have got such a big problem with KD?

All that's been said is "he's 32!" "he was sh*t last time round" "it's bolton Mk2!" that's about it.

face it, KD is better than any striker we currently have (Santa Cruz not included because he's off down the road)

yeh he's 32 and he's at the top of his game. Look at last years performances.

We might play unattractive football, but its our football club, if you wanna watch "sexy" football then Arsenal should be on bbc 1 at 10.30 every saturday ;)

Would you complain about "huff ball" if it got us in to Europe?

Sign Davies and we join the favourites for relegation.

truly a shocking choice if its to be believed. he failed once before why should he be any better second time around?

if Rovers could send me to see Mr Steadman to fix my knee I would be a better choice at 42 !!!

Archived