BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Kevin Davies - The Second Coming...?

Would you be in favour of re-signing Kevin Davies?  

453 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be in favour of re-signing Kevin Davies?

• Yes
    • No
    • Depends on Price
    • I'd rather have Grooby upfront

Danny "18 years old Manchester United huge prespect, various youth trophies, England U21" Welbeck? just like Danny Simpson - Danny Simpson didn't get likened to Kanu by Sir Alex Ferguson, as much as i hate the guy, he knows a good player when he see's one! He has made the bench in Champions League games, you don't have that happen if your rubbish! i'm not saying he's rubbish by ny stretch of the imgination. I'm just sayin that Davies is better Mentally and physically. and i'm sure Ferguson thought Simpson was a good player too...

Ishmael Miller (scored against us, is only 22 years old, is a England U21 star of the future i'm sure - 15 goals in 28 games for Brom) so everyone who's scored a goal against us is mint? - Nope, just thought you might have seen the goal? It was pretty damn good! so was mokena's goal that won our goal of the season...

Sylvan Ebanks-Blake (a better goal ratio then 1 goal in 2 games - Only 23 - England U21) he's been playing in the championship - So? You don't get Capello's attention if you are not good enough?! Davies has caught Capello's attention...is he good enough in your eyes now?

Matt Derbyshire (has time to progress - only 23 - Has bundles of potential, only reason were selling is we need the money...) ...and he's not good enough to be in our squad - But he's good enough to be scouted by Capello for the U21's..? Like i said, not good enough at the moment, but deserves first team football. I have no doubt that he will 'James Beattie' us... Like I said, Davies is better than him at this given time.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rocky gone and some cash in the bank. ST sales on an upward spiral.

Let's look at bringing in a footballer, - someone with a bit of flair and pace. Kevin Davies isn't a footballer, he's a big lump and this signing [if true] would likely signal the type of football we're about to witness at Ewood.

The only saving grace to this signing would be for us to bring in two pacy strikers to play either side of him. and that's clutching at straws.

Oh, and is this a sign of the probable cash available after the Rocky sale?

Why the panic?

Kevin Davies is only a replacement for Derbyshire. He isn't Roque's replacement is he?

HE is better than Derbyshire in my opinion. He has more power and strength and has proven his worth in the PL. He is going to cause defences more problems than what Derbyshire would have done and that is a FACT.

Anyone care to disagree?

Why the panic?

Kevin Davies is only a replacement for Derbyshire. He isn't Roque's replacement is he?

HE is better than Derbyshire in my opinion. He has more power and strength and has proven his worth in the PL. He is going to cause defences more problems than what Derbyshire would have done and that is a FACT.

Anyone care to disagree?

yep.

Again if true, Davies would be coming as a first choice striker, not a Matty replacement.

It's not that I'm against Davies, it's not. Even though he is the most persistent fouler in England, 32 years old and limited in terms of what he can offer.

It's the fact that, if this is Sam's 'no.1 target' then it is blindingly obvious that he won't be given any of the Roque / Matty money. And that's ###### #.

Roque and Matty out, Davies and Di Santo (on loan) in? Well that's a massive step backwards. It's like selling Bentley and bringing in nobody, only worse.

God, I knew that things were desperate, but THIS desperate?

Guest benmaxwell
Roque and Matty out, Davies and Di Santo (on loan) in? Well that's a massive step backwards. It's like selling Bentley and bringing in nobody, only worse.

Correct me if i'm wrong. But when Ince sold Bentley, did we ever replace him..? :blink:

it seems daft that people complain about Di Santos (a young promising striker from one of the best teams in europe) "why's sam bringing in a young unproven player? we need someone who is a proven goal scorer"

and then Davies (a proven goal scorer) is linked with us and people give it a "we need a young promising player! blah blah"

Luca Toni anyone? :P

utterly woeful if remotely true...........................age 32 = no transfer fee surely, absolute shocking waste of resources.

benni and davies...........too slow imobile

roberts and davies..........lot of work little end product

franco and davies............not sure even burnley would fear that

or quite likely it will only be the 1 upfront next year FFS.

this possible signing only makes sense if he is a free agent, paying any fee is obscene.

PLEASE SAM SIGN JANKO, he's 26, new and exciting got a bit of pace and generally all round would make me anticipate the new season that bit more........signing davies kills a part of me and makes the black clouds seem that bit closer. FFS was never more aptly used as all i hear is my brain saying FFS, really FFS.

Well said :tu:

Jesus wept there are some moaning people here. Davis is coming from a great season where he's scored goals, created goals and generally made things all kinds of difficult for opposition defences. I certainly don't want to spend a large fee for him nor give him big wages but for a million or three he will make our team better.

As mentioned earlier Bolton won't be willing to part with him for nothing and price doesn't reflect value rather how long is left on a contract. We'll see how this pans out but I wouldn't mind him at all.

It also sickens me to hear people bleating on about resale value. I know it is a relevant concern for the club but it's horrific hearing a football fan talk about it. This damn game is getting worse and worse with money the culprit above all others.

Im all for Kevin Davies as a player, and I bet most of the ppl on the forum would gladly take him for 1.5 million or less.

PROBLEM IS:

We as supporters have looked into that empty transfer fund bag for many many years now, and FINALLY we get a sale like Santa Cruz which atleast lightens a glimmer of hope that an exciting and a bit expensive signing could be made.

Then Davies is TOO OLD, and TOO EXPENSIVE. As a player he is great..but I know after all these years that if 1 million pounds is worth 1 million pounds for Man Utd, it is worth 10 million for Rovers. We cannot afford to waste one single penny. The millions MUST go to a player 27 or less of age, that can grow in the jersey, and atleast have a resale value of approx what we paid.

We simply cannot throw 4-5 million onto K.Davies for him to last 2 seasons tops, play good, but then retire. If we do things like that from now on, we will never ever see a 17-18 million sale again.

However, from watching Big Sam in interviews and in general, the man is not daft enough to pay that kind of money for Kevin Davies. He is NOT stupid, and I suggest we put the whining on hold until we can see what he does. And also, don't you think our big man mr Williams would have a little objection if he heard we were gonna bid 5 million for 32 year old Davies?

Calm down.

so we lose santa cruz and derbyshire and we get di santo and davies........anyone else feel like we lost a tenner and found a quid!!!

i am sure if the board had any respect for the fans they would put a stop to this ...surely?

Can this really be true?

Nicko's article quotes £5m. Yet on the very same page Wolves are set to sign Nolan for £2m, Burnley looking at Adam Johnson for £2m and West Ham looking at Marc-Antoine Fortune for £2.5m. Any of these would be infinately better value than Mr Davies.

The idea in itself i'm not 100% against. If he was coming in on a free of say 500K i'd be quite pleased. But at £5m i just can't see it. Surely the board would intervene? They have already had their fingers burnt with Grella.

I'm not accusing Nicko of fabricating this story. I can quite believe Sam wants him here. But i don't see it happening. Bolton will ask atleast this much for him and i can't see us paying it.

The article mentions how he has never spoken out about why it didn't work out 1st time around. But i work with a guy who was very good friends with him during his spells at Southampton. He absolutely HATED his time with us. He said the atmosphere in the squad was the worst he had ever known and i got the distinct impression he apportioned a good deal of blame to the club for the lack of support he received.

For these reasons i'll be absolutely astonished if he is wearing the blue and white halves next year.

Davies is a good player and Sam knows him better than anyone. Sure he isn´t young but could easily have couple of quality years left. But the problem is money. Bolton won´t sell him cheap and we shouldn´t pay much for 32 year old. Big Sam knows this and could still be keen on him. Maybe there´s something we don´t know. But he did sign a contract lately, didn´t he? The player ain´t problem but his price probably is and there´s better options available by same money.

I could elucidate my opinion at great length, but I'm very tired, and everyone will doubtless say the same things eventually anyway. So let me say just:

PLEASE GOD NO (Unless less than 2 million, which won't happen).

Just spoken to Leavers Bakery across from Ewood. They are delighted about the deal as when Davies left last time their profits halved. :lol:

It would not surprise me if Davies is on Sam's hitlist but as KD was probably at number 1 or 2 in John Williams' list of 'Things I Regret at Blackburn Rovers List' it would also not surprise me if this did not happen.

Also last summer, Nicko kept saying that with the Bentley sale we would have a reasonable transfer budget like he saying now. In truth that wasn't the case as the bank had other ideas. I suspect this summer will be the same as Williams has already stated the bank require some of the overdraft will need repaying. I suspect Rovers that even if Davies is to come I cannot see us paying £5 mill for the player especially with midfield needing strengthening as well.

satisfied if we can get him for around 5m and no more, he`s the ideal targetman for how we`ll be playing under sam, bet you wouldn`t be moaning if we were signing 34 yr old inzaghi from milan for 5m, would you? what`s the point in sam gambling with janko(8m and possibly high wages), crouch(10-12m and huge wages) or zigic(9m and huge wages) when he knows for certain that davies WILL do the job he wants doing upfront. if this story is true, then it`s likely davies has let it be known he`s not happy with bolton anymore and wishes to move, so we should only have to pay around the 5m i`ve stated, freeing up around 15m to spend on the rest of the team where it`s much needed also. we still need imo 1 right back(finnan for me), 2 centre mid(???), 1 left winger(rothen?), 1 centre back after givet(???) and if brown leaves a goalie(???).

If we got him on a free it would be too expensive.

Shocked and horrified if this is right.

I`m horrified at this as well - I know he had a good season for the Trotters last year, and got player of the season, but surely he can`t be Sam`s answer to move the club forward ? I thought Sam was keen to reduce the average squad age - really hope that Bolton dig their heels in and won`t sell to a rival club if this is our no.1 tragte to spend money on.

He could do a job for us, but I don`t think this is the club showing ambition or moving in the right direction :-(

Kevin Davies: he hated us; we hated him. So what's changed?

Not the best way to sell more S/Ts!! I was seriously thinking of getting another one this season, but I think I will wait a little longer and see if the club actually have the ambition that we were all getting so excited about just recently, or are things going to be the same as last year?

Kevin Davies: he hated us; we hated him. So what's changed?

Not the best way to sell more S/Ts!! I was seriously thinking of getting another one this season, but I think I will wait a little longer and seeif the club actually have the ambition that we were all getting so excited about just recently, or are things going to be the same as last year?

what kind of bloody fan are you? season tickets at 199 quid and you expect 15m pound international striker signings on 60,000 a week! get real, sam was brought in to acheive success on a tight budget and that`s what he will do! if you can`t appreciate that, then indeed your better off doing something else.

what kind of bloody fan are you? season tickets at 199 quid and you expect 15m pound striker signings on 60,000 a week! get real, sam was brought in to acheive success on a tight budget and that`s what he will do! if you can`t appreciate that, then indeed your better off doing something else.

I will ignore your ignorance, and make allowance for the fact that that you are obviously new to the site.

Where did I mention anything about spending £15m or indeed any amount at all?

Archived