BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley

Hughesy

What does everyone think about David Bentley?

To be honest i am not too keen and the feeling from others who sit near me in the BB end are the same.

I think so far the sub appearance against Bolton and parts of the 1st half last night are the only time he has really been involved in the match to a significant level.

Others views??

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Too lightweight and at times he seems ever so slightly underconfident. He needs to put his foot in more - I know this isn't his game but his pussyfooting is doing little to endear him to the Blackburn End. Other players such as MGP can get away with this because he produces moments of magic like last night against United, whereas we have yet to see this from David Bentley.

i think he actually has endeared himself to the Rovers fans. He scored the winner in the league cup game away at Charlton where he ran to us behind the goal when he scored. Also, he showed a nice gesture when in a warm up at the beginning of the game, smacked some kid in the face in the BB end(with the ball of course). He then went up to the kid and gave her a pair of his boots. Quite a lot of us actually saw that and gave him a round of applause.

Though he has yet to shine in that position - I still think he is best as the link striker (similar to the Bergkamp role).

When he plays on the wing we sadly lack pace - the one thing that both Emerton and Reid give us.

Having said that I thought he had a good 1st half against United. But was amazed he lasted as long as he did in the second - at one point I wondered whether he was still asleep in the dreessing room.

he is very similar to MGP physichally and technically but i think its not a good idea to have such relativly weak wingers compered to the EPL defences. his touch is very good and his distribution isnt bad ... i think if we can sign them up to a gym we would have a couple of good strong wingers, IMO though emerton is still prefered on the right wing

I am not sure whether it is fitness but Bentley does lack the confidence to match his ability.

If he has time he seems reluctant to take people on but if his back is against the wall he has shown several times that he has great skill and can beat his man.

The Wigan game was a great example for his involvement in setting up Reid's scorcher. He was out wide and being bullied towards the touchline. A little bit of magic and hey-presto he was sending in the cross that caused all the confusion.

In games where Rovers are under the cosh (like last night for periods) he does go missing and will not offer himself to the defence when they are bringing the ball out.

I don't know if fitness is the issue or confidence because I do think if he is pushed he does have the ability to be a great player for us.

i think he actually has endeared himself to the Rovers fans. He scored the winner in the league cup game away at Charlton where he ran to us behind the goal when he scored. Also, he showed a nice gesture when in a warm up at the beginning of the game, smacked some kid in the face in the BB end(with the ball of course). He then went up to the kid and gave her a pair of his boots. Quite a lot of us actually saw that and gave him a round of applause.

373770[/snapback]

So give the guy a Blue Peter badge. Seriously though, the fact that when he scored a goal he went over to our fans doesn't mean he has endeared himself. Neither does the fact that he so generously gave a pair of boots away that he probably gets paid to wear anyway.

The lad needs to be more consistent. He needs to build on his strength and play as though he is fighting for a contract. He was on Radio Rovers some time ago saying, "I will defintely never play for Arsenal again", or words to that effect. Well if that is the case David, you need to play your heart out!!!

I'm sure he's a lovely lad Greggy, but I'm afraid at the moment Bert is the better option for me and I'm sure there are potential signings/youth players that are breathing down his neck too.

Emerton is better physically, however, when faced with a 1 on 1 situation with a full back, seems completely stuck for ideas. Never takes the man on. Bentley although smaller and more lightweight seems to have more skill and a better football brain. Bentley seems more capable of beating a man and delivering a decent ball, or playing an early and effective pass, than Emerton who you can see thinking ever so slowly about what to do. Bentley is a good technical player, but just seems theres something missing. Might be Pace. Worth signing though i reckon, remember the skill to beat 2 man u players in 1st half, the cross for Sav in 1st minute, and did a good stepover vs wigan i think and set up a goal. He does seem to be getting better and does seem to be quite effective. Depends how much Arsenal ask for him.

David Bentley is an excellent player who will get better as the years go by, understand those criticising him though because they want it now, but long term Bentley will continue to develop and become an outstanding player for Rovers.

Have faith dont be too demanding he will become very good in the future.

Ask me before last night and I was in the doubters camp. But in the first half against the Mancs he showed everything you would want of the lad and including no shortage of physical presence.

But I fear he has a reputation as a quitter and after the third thumping challenge he disappeared as a force.

My big question is- when Hughes has finished turning a fairly useless but skilful player into a very useful skilful player (in the mode of Joe Cole) what are Arsenal going to do given we don't have a purchase clause?

David Bentley is an excellent player who will get better as the years go by, understand those criticising him though because they want it now, but long term Bentley will continue to develop and become an outstanding player for Rovers.

Have faith dont be too demanding he will become very good in the future.

373806[/snapback]

Good words JAL

IMO, at the moment he reminds me of the early Duff years a bit hit and miss and easily shoved of the ball but could turn it on in an instant. The thing with Bentley (or as I see it) he does seem to be getting better game by game, given that he has also been used in different positions.

As JAL says, it may not be as quick as people want but hopefully he will continue to develop more mentally and physically (and is better than Bert anyway)

I'm fairly sure that Hughes is keen to sign him at the end of the season. By selecting him in the side, out of position, when his performances probably don't warrant a start Hughesy seems to be attempting to keep him involved. He's undoubtedly a very talented guy but we're yet to consistently see his best form. That said, if anyone can get the best out of him its our superb coaching staff.

Ask me before last night and I was in the doubters camp. But in the first half against the Mancs he showed everything you would want of the lad and including no shortage of physical presence.

But I fear he has a reputation as a quitter and after the third thumping challenge he disappeared as a force.

My big question is- when Hughes has finished turning a fairly useless but skilful player into a very useful skilful player (in the mode of Joe Cole) what are Arsenal going to do given we don't have a purchase clause?

373820[/snapback]

That's the thing - Hughes and his coaching staff have begun to turn him into a useful player. They've done it with Reid, Neill (who's developed into one, if not the best right back in the league), and a few others who are, in all honesty very average footballers. Bentley on the other hand has ludicrous amounts of skill, but no toughness, determination or pace. Now the coaching staff can't help him on the pace front, but they've improved his workrate and toughness immeasurably. Given time he'll be a fantastic player for us, though probably not on the right wing. Unfortunately the question is whether we can afford him or not - Arsenal will take whoever tries to sign him to the cleaners wink.gif

He reminds me a bit of what Joe Cole used to be like when he first started playing regular first team football...the talent is obvious but getting that into 90 minutes of football is a struggle, as is working out his best position.

I think he's certainly worth hanging on to, I can't think of many better places he could be to turn that raw talent into effectiveness on the pitch.

He is improving but like Kuqi he is only a 45 minute man.  Emerton is damned frustrating I know but he really must have fettled Sparkys wife recently.

373732[/snapback]

i agree about Bentley, he's doing better. Kugi is a 45 minute good man followed by a 200 minutes most shocking player in the world man

Bentley played his best last night since he's been here, he is definatley improving with every match he plays.

He would make a good permanent signing but it's all down to the value Arsenal put on him and it would probaly use most if not all of out summer transfer money, unless of course his contract runs out either this summer or next then we would have a chance of getting him on the cheap.

Archived