BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley

Hughesy

does anyone else think Bentley is way over-rated? I'm a season ticket holder and I really think he receives a lot of disproportionate media-hype because he alomost fits the Beckham Goldenboy mould and made a couple of headlines last summer. He's good don't get me wrong, but isn't anywhere near the same match-winning standard of Duff if you get me yet seems to receive similar heights of reviews amongst our Rovers

No. He has been easily our best player apart from Cruz. Everything we have created comes through him and he socres us goals. Perhaps not quite as dangerous as Duff at his best, but really not a lot in it.

His technique is fantastic, good vision, great shot. His only real weakness is a lack of pace.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No. He has been easily our best player apart from Cruz. Everything we have created comes through him and he socres us goals. Perhaps not quite as dangerous as Duff at his best, but really not a lot in it.

His technique is fantastic, good vision, great shot. His only real weakness is a lack of pace.

Another weakness is consistency of performance . This could count against him at international level .

Yes he definitely deserves a chance for England but he's lucky that we have a shortage of talent on th right wing . Beckham's had it , SWP will probably never hit the heights ; Bentley will , though , be seriously threatened by Lennon .

Not to be mentioned in the same breath as Duff .

Does he score more goals than Duff? He seems to see goal scoring as one of his priorities whereas Duff seemed happier to pop up with the occasional very good goal but not too many. It's silly to compare two very different players anyway. Duff was then, Bentley is now and I'm very happy to have him. I think he's good enough to play for England ahead of the competition and I don't think he's being over-hyped. We probably need to talk him up more to make sure he gets in the England team because if he doesn't he's all the more likely to look for a club whose profile will give him a better chance of doing so.

Does he score more goals than Duff? He seems to see goal scoring as one of his priorities whereas Duff seemed happier to pop up with the occasional very good goal but not too many. It's silly to compare two very different players anyway. Duff was then, Bentley is now and I'm very happy to have him. I think he's good enough to play for England ahead of the competition and I don't think he's being over-hyped. We probably need to talk him up more to make sure he gets in the England team because if he doesn't he's all the more likely to look for a club whose profile will give him a better chance of doing so.

if only we had the duff and dunn of 6 years ago to slot into our midfield today with bentley!

Another weakness is consistency of performance . This could count against him at international level .

Yes he definitely deserves a chance for England but he's lucky that we have a shortage of talent on th right wing . Beckham's had it , SWP will probably never hit the heights ; Bentley will , though , be seriously threatened by Lennon .

Not to be mentioned in the same breath as Duff .

He won't be washed up at 28 like certain players.

Does anyone else think that Bentley has lost a bit of faith in his fellow team mates? I think he's a fantastic player, but recently he has been trying more to beat players or take the long shots, than pass the ball.

It's great when he does that and scores (like the one against Cov), but often you can see the simple option that he doesn't take.

Then again, you can't blame him the way some of the team have been playing recently.

Does anyone else think that Bentley has lost a bit of faith in his fellow team mates? I think he's a fantastic player, but recently he has been trying more to beat players or take the long shots, than pass the ball.

It's great when he does that and scores (like the one against Cov), but often you can see the simple option that he doesn't take.

Then again, you can't blame him the way some of the team have been playing recently.

I think your last comment says it all really. The team is suffering from lack of confidence and when that happens players with a huge belief in their own ability take it upon themselves to do whatever they can.

If the noises coming from the club so far this transfer window have taught us anything, it's that we're going to have to find some alternative ways to raise the funds we require to keep active in the transfer window and retain Sparky's interest. The only way I can see to do this is to sell our assets when they are at their most valuable and look to sensibly reinvest the proceeds in MH's usual way.

Right now may be to time to do this with Bentley.

We've already missed the boat with McCarthy and Pedersen, who are probably now worth at most half of what we may have got for them when they were at their most desired.

I'd suggest we could get around £10m for Bentley, being young and English. With Sparky's expertise in the market, we could replace him with circa 3 good standard players.

If the noises coming from the club so far this transfer window have taught us anything, it's that we're going to have to find some alternative ways to raise the funds we require to keep active in the transfer window and retain Sparky's interest. The only way I can see to do this is to sell our assets when they are at their most valuable and look to sensibly reinvest the proceeds in MH's usual way.

We've already missed the boat with McCarthy and Pedersen, who are probably now worth at most half of what we may have got for them when they were at their most desired.

I'd suggest we could get around £10m for Bentley, being young and English. With Sparky's expertise in the market, we could replace him with circa 3 good standard players.

I can't believe what I've just read there Toogs.

Continually sell our best players? Madness I say, madness. We finish up with a team playing first division football in front of 4000 fans. Upwards and onwards eh?

BTW, anyone notice that PNE had a crowd of 4500 against Scunthorpe in the cup tie last week? Apparently it was rovers fault for selling kids a ticket for a quid.

That unfortunately is our role nowadays. I've made this point about making Hughes bonus payments based on his success in the transfer market. BUT Den look on the bright side, bringing on and developing under achieving players and misfits before selling them on to big clubs for big money means that agents will be falling over themselves to offer us their prodegies whos careers need resurrecting. It's not a bad way forward for a club with whats prob the lowest income in the Prem.

OK, I'll phrase it another way.

With £10m (could we even get £12m?) we could sign (given recent reported asking fees) Diarra, McFadden and Kewell.

Now, if those 3 played for us and Bentley played for someone else, would we accept a swap deal of Bentley for the three of them?

MH has a record of knowing how to invest in the transfer market. It's the area of the business he has been best at since he's been at Rovers. At the moment we're giving him no chance at all to expand that reputation.

With £10m (could we even get £12m?) we could sign (given recent reported asking fees) Diarra, McFadden and Kewell.

Now, if those 3 played for us and Bentley played for someone else, would we accept a swap deal of Bentley for the three of them?

MH has a record of knowing how to invest in the transfer market. It's the area of the business he has been best at since he's been at Rovers. At the moment we're giving him no chance at all to expand that reputation.

Alternatively Tugay the timing might not be the best. If Capello likes him and makes him an England regular his value will rise even more in the next 6-12 months.

Maybe. And if Pedersen had scored a few more scorchers this season we may be bringing in £10m for him this window. If McCarthy had carried last seasons form over he could've been signing for Chelsea today for half the price of Anelka, in a win-win deal for all concered.

We've already made the same mistake twice. Can we afford to again?

One good if unproven player, one average player and a crock. Great bit of business. :rolleyes:

One good if unproven player, one average player and a crock. Great bit of business. :rolleyes:

Or you could call it two young, highly rated internationals and a proven Premiership performer who has lost his way, and is available for a nominal fee. It's a matter of opinion.

It's also fairly irrelevant as the players mentioned were purely for illustrative purposes. The point is, Sparky has proven he can spend money wisely, and would no doubt be able to find 3 good players with £3m to £4m to spend on each.

I find it hard to believe that people still live in this disillusional state where they believe we shouldn't be selling our best players.

As T4E says, that is our business. We get sh*t crowds, awful, we get no income from anywhere. We need to develop players, sell them for big profits, get more established players whilst developing new ones.

If we ever get double figure million offers for ANY of our players, we HAVE to accept it. And anyone whinging if we did needs to wake up.

Archived