BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley

Hughesy

He reminds me a bit of what Joe Cole used to be like when he first started playing regular first team football...the talent is obvious but getting that into 90 minutes of football is a struggle, as is working out his best position.

I think he's certainly worth hanging on to, I can't think of many better places he could be to turn that raw talent into effectiveness on the pitch.

373854[/snapback]

Great Shout, Agree completely

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An Arsenal blogger's view on Bentley. (that list of young players at Arsenal is frightening- watch those kids win the Prem in the new Emirates Stadium. But we've still got a decent chance of finishing ahead of them this season tongue.gif )

If he manages to stay focussed and keeps following Hughes and Bowen's advice, he could become very special. The comparisons with Bergkamp are instructive given the role he has been asked to play for Rovers recently though I guess he'll be competing with Reid and Emerton for a starting place once Dickov and Bellamy are fit- let's see what his attitude is like if he doesn't walk into the team.

Bentley has won me over since December and I think this is going to prove a very smart piece of business.

The last few games from him has been much improved compared to his start.

I agree with philipl.

Although, physically he needs to improve and his workrate should improve too. Alot of Bergkamps game relies on his phsyical presence, as he is pretty strong, when getting past people, etc...

I'm very happy with the signing of him on a permanent basis. He has got great potential, would be happier if he put soem muscle on as he is like a twig at the moment. That is probably the only thing that could be his downfall, his lack of strength, apart from that he has everything that makes a good player.

I just don't think Bentley is god enough for the premiership. He has shown nothing to suggest otherwise. Hughes plays him more on the right than in the centre and he just doesn't have the pace or skill to play there. At least he is relatively versatile and this deal allowed us to move for Pongolle.

I think signing Bentley is a very good piece of business. We very likely got him for under £1m, and if so its very clever - at 21 he's a player that could play regularly for a couple of years, play to an average standard, and can still be sold on in a couple of years at a price that would recoup the outlay.

Fairly low risk on account of his age, the board did good thumbs-up.gif

Bentley himself said he thought his best would come once he had found the stability of a permanent home. Now let's see him prove it. The lad switches from top class to total annonimity. Sadly it's seems to have been primarily the latter but I think the lad is worth hoding onto even if only on the off chance he can perform consistantly.

He's a very talented player, he has the skill to take men on and beat them, he has two good feet and he can pass. However, he goes missing for long periods of a match. He has to be more involved, setting moves up, running at defenders more often and adding more goals to his game. He is also quite light, which doesn't help. Hughes has the chance to work with him and develop him and he could be a great player in a few years.

I'm also happy with the signing of Pongolle. The guy is quick, he has scored a few goals this season and he's only on loan, so if the move doesn't work out, then we haven't lost much. He is certainly a better option than Francis Jeffers. This young Swedish defender sounds sounds pretty good as well.

i am totally astounded by that 3m figure. i do not really believe it to be true though... if we had 3m to spend in the first place, we would not have had gone in for FSP on loan. hope that the actual figure is nearer the 900k palace had agreed to pay for bentley last summer before we hijacked the deal.

What Bentley needs right now is a return of his self-confidence. When he emerged at Arsenal, he had that swagger about him which was part of what made him so exciting a prospect.

His spell at Norwich seemed to take something out of him. When he first arrived there he was shooting from all over the park - perhaps tipping self-confidence into the arrogance bracket.

Worthington wasn't happy, the Norwich fans weren't best pleased either, i think, and Bentley seems to have lost that sparkle since then.

He is a guy who is going to depend on the coaching to get the best out of him. He lacks pace and strength but clearly knows how to handle the ball - he has good technique and can pass. He also looks increasingly like heis willing to put the running in, something that didn't really appeal to him when he first turned up.

If he can work on his game the way Reid clearly has then the only way is up. If he does not work out it seems unlikely that we will of made a major financial loss.

I think that Bentley is the type of classy flair player we need.

Most of our other players are hard working but without that touch of class, BUT players like Bentley by their nature drift in and out of games.

If he was having an impact ALL game, he'd be in the Ronaldihno league of player (and wouldnt be playing for us.)

Most of our other players are hard working but without that touch of class, BUT players like Bentley by their nature drift in and out of games.

If he was having an impact ALL game, he'd be in the Ronaldihno league of player (and wouldnt be playing for us.)

380633[/snapback]

Personally I haven't seen enough hunger and desire to win in him yet. I guess MH must see it though.

380633[/snapback]

I just couldn't disagree more. He has never displayed any real class or flair and I just couldn't describe him as such. And to suggest that if he was making an impact throughout the game he would be in the same league as Ronaldinho is ludicrous. Absolutely bleeding mad. He doesn't so much drift in and out of games as much as consistently fail to make an impact and hasn't played better than average since joining.

Players with real class make presence known early, not persistently play average after half a season. He has a long time to improve and may well become a decent player, but he isn't the classy, flair player we need. Not by a long shot.

I just couldn't disagree more.  He has never displayed any real class or flair and I just couldn't describe him as such.  And to suggest that if he was making an impact throughout the game he would be in the same league as Ronaldinho is ludicrous.  Absolutely bleeding mad.  He doesn't so much drift in and out of games as much as consistently fail to make an impact and hasn't played better than average since joining.

380668[/snapback]

Thats a bit unfair. I think he has been solid, certainly no worse than Emerton, Thompson, Kuqi, Mokoena and Pedersen (when he isn't scoring). Plus when you look at him you know he has got more (to use some Ronglish) 'in his locker' than Emerton, Dickov and Savage.

Ronaldinho, Joe Cole or even David Dunn are all far too generous comparisons- but he certainly is, along with Pedersen, clearly the player we will look to develop into a major creative force.

Personally I am of the opinion he needs to work on the physical side of his game and his positioning.

Archived