BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley

Hughesy

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Incidentally, that was the first hattrick against the Mancs since Bailey of QPR scored one in 1991 and therefore the first against them in the Prem. rover.gif

380926[/snapback]

Unfortunately, someone scored a hat trick for soton when they beat them 6-3 many years back (Ostenstad in 96, perhaps?)

But having said that, it was Neville who put it in even tho the goal wasn't creditted to him as an own goal.

Actually Kuqi proved he couldnt score when he missed the sitter of all sitters late in the game.

Also, Bentley has improved by leaps and bounds since Christmas and last night was no lesser a performance than we have seen from him last week against United or even the time before.

No one is saying he is world class, but IF he keeps this up, he will be a very good player for us!

now lets not get carried away, i think even Kuqi might have scored the first two goals.

good third goal

Sorry but thats is nonsense ! if Kuqi could have scored that, then why didnt he and why doesnt he do it regularly .Whils Im not jumping on th e Bentley for England bandwaggon just yet, His quick reactions were fantastic to get the first two goals.

now lets not get carried away, i think even Kuqi might have scored the first two goals.

good third goal

Sorry but thats is nonsense ! if Kuqi could have scored that, then why didnt he and why doesnt he do it regularly .Whils Im not jumping on th e Bentley for England bandwaggon just yet, His quick reactions were fantastic to get the first two goals.

381012[/snapback]

so your telling me that Kugi couldn't in a million years score that second goal, it was purely luck for us. and terrible mistake.

and the first goal was half decent he just aimed for the goals and lucky the keeper touched it so Brown could not clear it.

how is that nonsense, Kuqi doesn't do it regular because team don't givwe away goals regualrly do they.

try thinking about what you saying first

Bentley is fantastic. He was just holding back till we bought him clearly!

In seriousness he raised the bar last night - now he's got to stick to it! or at least somewhere close as that level of performance has got to be unsustainable week in week out!

Can any remember who the last Blackburn player to score a hat trick was home or away? It's got me struggling. blink.gif

381107[/snapback]

In the league it was Sutton, Jansen did it though in the league cup against arsenal in the quarter finals when we won it.

good third goal

i think 1 million for Bentley is more then fair based on how he was playing

380999[/snapback]

Well I'm fairly certain Kuqi would not have got the first. Bentley managed to find power and downward direction from out of nothing.

Most impressive thing last night was not his goals but his first touch. He controlled every ball played to him with the ease of a Duff or a Tugay.

In the league it was Sutton, Jansen did it though in the league cup against arsenal in the quarter finals when we won it.

381123[/snapback]

Jansens hat trick was on 11 December 2001 in the Worthy Cup. Not sure on Suttons though.

Didn't Dunny get his hattrick of penalties more recently than that? Seems so long ago anyway...

First player to score a premiership hatrick against United. Good effort.

In an interview I heard just now on the radio he was keen to stress that now he's a fully-fledged player he can really put everything into the team, whereas before he was worried that if he got injured he'd have to go back to Arsenal and start again...

Time will tell.

Edit: Spelling miatske

In an interview I hear just now on the radio he was keen to stress that now he's a fully-fledged player he can really put everything into the team, whereas before he was worried that if he got injured he'd have to go back to Arsenal and start again...

381135[/snapback]

Really hope that was case, if anything, last night could be just an indication of things to come.

The first one required great technique and strength. That was one heck of an awkward ball to deal with- it bounced up higher than he expected.

381001[/snapback]

I also thought the first required real skill to even get it on target; the ball was above waist height when he hit and and he aimed to put it where he did - down low.

The third goal was world class from start to finish: great initial movement by Sav and Bentley, great vision and chip pass from Gray, great lateral movement from Bentley, great vision and lob pass from Savage, great finish. One of the best Rovers pass and run goals I've seen for a long time.

I also thought the first required real skill to even get it on target; the ball was above waist height when he hit and and he aimed to put it where he did - down low.

The third goal was world class from start to finish: great initial movement by Sav and Bentley, great vision and chip pass from Gray, great lateral movement from Bentley, great vision and lob pass from Savage, great finish.  One of the best Rovers pass and run goals I've seen for a long time.

381159[/snapback]

I think the term 'world class' is being overused here. Goals like that are special and excellent, but 'world class' implies that the goal was something that only an elite number of humans can do.

And I think that's being unrealistic.

Bentley had a good game last night, but he has a long way to go yet and I'd still put him behind Bellamy and Dickov - perhaps even Pongolle yet - in the pecking order for strikers.

Didn't Dunny get his hattrick of penalties more recently than that? Seems so long ago anyway...

381135[/snapback]

Dunns hat trick of pens was against Rochdale, League Cup 1st Round 2nd Leg, September 6th 2000.

Now please excuse me, I have trains to spot. biggrin.gif

Just seen Bently being interviewed. Nice sense of humour- thanking Rio for his second goal, and- along with Hughes- defending us against the "physical" nonsense that RFW spouted.

And (on a non-footballing topic) he's cuter than I thought!

Archived