BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley

Hughesy

A lot of Bentley-praising on other thread after Thursday night so thought I'd bring this back up.

IMO the two areas that Bentley is currently excelling in are consistancy and end product.

He's not having 1 in 3 good games like Gallagher might (or 1 in 10 with MGP at the moment but thats for the other thread)! He's now being praised as one of the better players in every match he plays. A regular place in the same area of a team with obviously good team spirit is a major help with this.

Also, when he plays well he makes things happen. He must have been involved (in either scoring or assists) in around 50% of the goals scored in the last month.

At the minute I'm enjoying watching the lad enjoying himself. Lets hope it continues Sunday.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A lot of Bentley-praising on other thread after Thursday night so thought I'd bring this back up.

IMO the two areas that Bentley is currently excelling in are consistancy and end product.

He's not having 1 in 3 good games like Gallagher might (or 1 in 10 with MGP at the moment but thats for the other thread)! He's now being praised as one of the better players in every match he plays. A regular place in the same area of a team with obviously good team spirit is a major help with this.

Also, when he plays well he makes things happen. He must have been involved (in either scoring or assists) in around 50% of the goals scored in the last month.

At the minute I'm enjoying watching the lad enjoying himself. Lets hope it continues Sunday.

I've only seen a couple of games but the lad has really really impressed me this season. He seems to be our most skilful player. If he keeps his head down and grafts, continues to learn and keeps his confidence up he could be a real winner.

After the confusion surrounding Bentley and the under 21's, I read a quote from hughes where he said that he isn't ready for the full squad especially as he'd recently got dropped from the under 21's. God knows how he did after his start to the season though?!

Interesting how Bentleys club form has improved dramatically after being dropped by the U21's??? <_<

Personally - I think Bentley's good form is partly as a result of Bert's excellent form. How many times have we seen Emo bursting down the wing creating space and passes for Bentley. IMO, at the moment, there can't be many better right sided pairings in the EPL.

It does make me wonder how effective he would be playing for England - with Neville as his over lapping full back. The one thing that Emo does do is make up for (in a small way) is Bentley's lack of pace.

Personally - I think Bentley's good form is partly as a result of Bert's excellent form. How many times have we seen Emo bursting down the wing creating space and passes for Bentley. IMO, at the moment, there can't be many better right sided pairings in the EPL.

Totally agree that there can't be many better right side combos and think that it's a two way thing - Bert's excellent form is aiding Bentley and vice versa. Most encouraging for me is the continuous improvement we're seeing in Bentley. Even at the start of the season his crosses were still too often not beating the first man. Not only is his crossing improving but also he seems to be getting shrugged off the ball less than at the start of the season. If he keeps up this rate of improvement he could go a long way.

Just throwing in a thought - would Bentley be able to cut it in a similar manner in the centre of the pitch? I wouldn't move him out of choice but the midfield options are thin. If Tugs gets injured or worn out Bentley may very well be moved inside to add more creativity than a Savage-Mokoena centre-mid partnership would provide as all our other options (namely Gally Peter and Emerton) are wide players. I'm wondering how much that would effect his form.

Bentley.....had a good 1st half vs Bolton & ran them ragged at times.

2nd half, didn`t have as much impact, but neither did rest of team. Rovers looked tired towards the end, maybe something to do with Euro travelling midweek? :huh:

Spurs are so irritating.

I dont see them trying to get Arteta/Cahill from Everton, or Davis/Barry from Villa, or Parker from Newcastle, but they seem to want OUR PLAYERS ALL THE TIME. :angry:

Think we should just be flattered - how many of our players actually end up there? The only players spurs ever seem to be linked to are those that are well out of their league (ie. Ronaldo etc) and then our players (Gamst, Bentley etc). Having said that many people in the media seem to think Gamst is some sort of world beater.

Spurs are so irritating.

I dont see them trying to get Arteta/Cahill from Everton, or Davis/Barry from Villa, or Parker from Newcastle, but they seem to want OUR PLAYERS ALL THE TIME. :angry:

That's cuz thi no wur al't litl guduns ar!

I try to admit it whenever I'm wrong, and this is one of the foremost examples. I criticized the club for not signing a right winger in the summer because I felt that it was our most glaring need. It turns out that Hughes and the club must have had faith in Bentley the whole time, because his form has improved immensely since last year and he's been a very effective player for Rovers (aided, of course, by the great play of Emerton, as everyone has mentioned). Now if only we could sort out our lack of depth in central midfield, we'd be all set!

As for Spurs wanting Bentley -- that all gets a bit tiring, doesn't it?

Archived