BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Bentley

Hughesy

Bringing a further modicom of sense to this thread, Betnley was brilliantly outstanding against the Mancs. That performance alone should have catapulted him into the England starting line-up. But when his own supporters are saying he is playing badly, what hope is there of McClown noticing?

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why no criticism from you Phil for the elusive Agbonlahoor and why were you not pushing for Rooney to have been selected for all 3 teams too?

Firstly because this thread is about Bentley.......and I couldn't spell the other bloke's name :wacko:

Secondly , Rooney has been an established first team player for ages now . Like it or not , Bentley is only just on the fringes .........despite his "brilliantly outstanding" performance against the Mancs . The Croatians must be trembling in their boots .... :rolleyes:

Considering Pedersen's been rubbish, Bentley nearly as bad and Ooijer not wanted any more, - how the hell have we done so well this season? Must be that bone idle McCarthys' odd goal or two, pulling us through.

I think it's been quite surprising how well we've done considering that our main threats, our two wide players (neither of whom I would like to see sold and both of whom I think are very good players) have been off colour in most of the matches this season. The reason we've done well? Santa Cruz, Benni lately, Nelsen, Samba, Savage, Warnock, Emerton, Ooijer (who although I wouldn't mind selling for some money I have never thought was a bad player, unlike a good number on here) and Friedel. That's the majority of our team right there, which is why we've had a good start. Bentley has had some good games and overall he's been better than MGP, but they've both been below par for virtually the entire season in my mind.

I think it's been quite surprising how well we've done considering that our main threats, our two wide players (neither of whom I would like to see sold and both of whom I think are very good players) have been off colour in most of the matches this season.

I find it incredible that anyone can question Bentley's contribution this season. He, Friedel and Samba have been our outstanding players this season, with a mention also going to Santa Cruz. Bentley is our chief creative threat in each and every game.

How many goals has he actually created? Maybe I've just somehow missed his contribution and involvement in games.

I would also say that Bentley has been amongst our best players (Samba, Fridal and Santa have all done slightly better imo).

The only thing I am disappointed about him is that he gets a lot fewer crosses in this season and instead seems to be driving more at goal to shoot. Its a shame when we have in Cruz a near perfect targed for the ball into the box.

Off the top, he set up the opening goals against Boro and City and he scored against Brum and Sunderland. He has probably done more than that. Yes, there have been possibly three sub-standard Bentley performances for Rovers this season but you've got to remember how high he is setting his standard now.

When I watched Rovers at Man U and compared that with Kyev during the week, the difference was we had players who could retain posession when pressed by Man U then turn that into a platform that could be used to launch a Rovers move. In that respect, Bentley was outstanding in his play.

Man U played quite a few reservers against Kyev but had the strongest XI they could put out against us. For me, the Bentley performance against Man U showed David has moved on to another level with us and I am sure would be far more effective playing wide right for England than the current competitors for that slot.

• 1 month later...

I'm getting a bit irritated by his gob. He was stupid in the Summer and needs to stop going on about how he was right and get on with proving it.

Thought his celebration when he scored the free kick the other week was about as bad as it gets, something along the lines of "WHO AM I? DAVID BENTLEY, WHO AM I? DAVID BENTLEY, THAT'S WHO I AM." Pack it in...

Very good player, is scoring a few this season but needs the be more influential in games. I'm sure it'll come soon. In the meantime leave out the interviews...

He always does that bish

I disagree with your post- he was 100% sensible in the summer and clearly has good advice about how to play the media. Unfortunately, the last young player we had who handled himself as well had a motorbyke accident in Rome.

With regards to being more influential, it really has boiled down to the team falling apart recently. Santa has lead the line brilliantly but Bentley, unlike Beckham in his prime, is not yet able to run a game from the right wing.

Thought his celebration when he scored the free kick the other week was about as bad as it gets, something along the lines of "WHO AM I? DAVID BENTLEY, WHO AM I? DAVID BENTLEY, THAT'S WHO I AM." Pack it in...

My Everton supporting friend was on to me about that but saying he was a fool but as I pointed out at the time, could he not have been doing it because:-

1. His name on his shirt had been spelt wrong a week or two before

2. His name on the club Calender had been spelt wrong

See the pattern

I enjoyed that Philip, cheers.

I have to admit, I always thought that Bentley was a Londoner, but it's interesting to know that his roots lie in the north. I like the guy, not many players will try to rally the fans into cheering the team on when they're chasing a game and I like the fact that he has time fo the regular Joe in the pub - very few footballers do.

Saying that, if he just shut up about the whole England U21 fiasco, people would forget all about it and he wouldn't be this "pantomime villain" he professes to be.

I reckon he and Sav get on great!

Saying that, if he just shut up about the whole England U21 fiasco, people would forget all about it and he wouldn't be this "pantomime villain" he professes to be.

I reckon he and Sav get on great!

Every journo in the land will ask him about it and he's got to say something hasn't he? If he doesn't you'll have an article about an 'evasive' David Bentley. He's dismissing the whole thing which is the best way to go, I reckon.

If he's wanting a regular England spot then the publicity is actually a good thing towards that end. Without turning down the U21's then Bentley's story is just about an actual football talent at a very unfashionable club and that won't sell as many papers/get him noticed.

Hopefully Capello will see through the fashionable/unfashionable nonsense.

If players at the club lying 9th (despite a run of stinking bad form) are not eligible for England then no wonder England are in the poo.

It has been obvious for a while that Bentley deserved a place ahead of SWP.

Unfortunately, Bentley's interview is being headlined "I'll end Beckham's career" in many quarters so his hate factor will be rising!

SWP had a much better start to the season than Bentley, it has only been recently that you could say Bentley's form has been better. Last season he was much better than SWP, but SWP is still quite the player.

But we all know Eddie thinks he knows best, and likes to go against popular opinion aswell.

Well I think the majority of football fans would agree with me, I'm actually just trying to take an unbiased look at the premiership. Last season I would have put Bentley ahead of SWP, but behind Beckham. This season I'd put Bentley ahead of SWP, but it is difficult to place Beckham.

Despite what some of you may think, I don't take the opposite opinion because it is the opposite opinion, I simply take it because it is my opinion. I'd actually think that the majority on this site would agree that Benltey hasn't been as good this year, particularly early on, and that SWP has been the better player so far.

For me there isn`t much difference between them with regards to who is better than who.Bentley is far better at crossing the ball whereas swp is better at running at defenders.

Being as they are level pegging with regards to impact in a game the fact that swp has been given chances in the team and not exactly set the world alight,suggests to me Bentley should be given a run in the side.

That's about the size of it , Bacup .

SWP deserved a run in the team on the strength of his re-emergence for Chelsea but hardly set the world alight . I have the feeling that he never will get better than he is now - hopefully I'm wrong because he seems a hard worker with the right attitude , a chip off the old block ...

I'd like Bentley to get a few games also for England .

I'd also like him to stop giving daft , provocative interviews and just get on with playing football . A lot of people , rightly IMO , thought he was out of order with his non appearances for the u-21's . Forever reminding them of this incident , especially now that most are forgetting about it , is just counter-productive . He's not Ronaldo class wise ; nor is he Sav mouth wise - so why act like he's a bit of both ?

That's about the size of it , Bacup .

SWP deserved a run in the team on the strength of his re-emergence for Chelsea but hardly set the world alight . I have the feeling that he never will get better than he is now - hopefully I'm wrong because he seems a hard worker with the right attitude , a chip off the old block ...

I'd like Bentley to get a few games also for England .

I'd also like him to stop giving daft , provocative interviews and just get on with playing football . A lot of people , rightly IMO , thought he was out of order with his non appearances for the u-21's . Forever reminding them of this incident , especially now that most are forgetting about it , is just counter-productive . He's not Ronaldo class wise ; nor is he Sav mouth wise - so why act like he's a bit of both ?

the guy's just being himself, he's got something to say for himself and he makes some good points. i much prefer that to the boring identikit footaller you get these days with nothing at all interesting to say. if people keep booing him when he's playing then he's got every right to bring up the reason why theyre booing him. also, the way most interviews are conducted, chances are the interviewer brings it up or would have brought it up at some point, but since we dont get a transcripted style most of the time it looks like he's bringing it up.

Archived