BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Mr Ruudy Van Nistelrooy!

Link to the Independent

The future

ruud.jpg

Sam Allardyce has spoken about the possibility of Ruud joining Rovers, taken from the Independent:

"It would be nice to do it with a Van Nistelrooy, I don't know," he said. "It was hugely difficult at the time but it's much more difficult now. The sort of salary [Van Nistelrooy] would be on at Real Madrid may be beyond us. But maybe he wants to come and play in England again and take less of a salary, then we'd be interested. We wouldn't be able to match his salary at Real even if there was no fee involved. But there's no doubt it would be of interest to me, I'd want to talk to him. It would be a major coup if I could pull it off."

If feel this deserves a thread of it's own as it's not Mr X or guessing games. It's Ruud Van Nistelrooy and he's been confirmed as a target by the actual manager!

Personally I think he would be an excellent signing!

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even if he came, who would create the chances for him to finish? :unsure:

I can't see van Nistelrooy fitting into our team at the moment... in addition to the fact that (as others have pointed out) he probably won't come here.

TBH we did get Andy Cole and Dwight Yorke, the once "scourge of Europe", so never say never. It would be classified as another miracle though, as I do not see a single reason why RVN would chose us over the dozens of other better offers he is going to get.

If Sam does get him though, he can go ahead and buy another 10 Kevin Davies-es for all I care, he would be forgiven for everything.

If Sam is going for Van Nistelrooy I do see Davies as a part of the plan as well here,Ruud is a quality finisher both on the floor and in the air and he has a great touch too but the big risk at 33 is, have his legs and pace gone??? But a fit Van Nistelrooy nd davies would frighten Premiership defences!!

If Sam is going for Van Nistelrooy I do see Davies as a part of the plan as well here,Ruud is a quality finisher both on the floor and in the air and he has a great touch too but the big risk at 33 is, have his legs and pace gone??? But a fit Van Nistelrooy nd davies would frighten Premiership defences!!

If we get Ruud, then Becks could come and supply the ammo. LOL.

Strikes me this is a step back to the sort of signings Rovers made 20+ years ago - Archibald, Hughes, Moran, Ardiles - which was very exciting at the time. If he comes, which to TBH is hard to imagine, it would definetley create excitment. Which of the two would be the better bet RvN or KD? Can't say I have any idea except KD leaves me cold but the idea of RvN coming is exciting.

But, but, but, but - what about his "sell on value"? Or shall "we" ignore that for this one?

Kelbo - the LT are saying that the Davies thing is dead in the water. Williams made a call and was told "nothing doing lad". and that's the end of it apparently.

But, but, but, but - what about his "sell on value"? Or shall "we" ignore that for this one?

If you look at this potential transfer there is no need for a "sell on value". Real are just trying to get rid of him, so his fee is minimal. Wages are high, but the value he brings in goal potential is massive.

He would easily get double the amount of goals Kevin Davies would, which would earn us the money back. Let alone the extra merch, imagine all that shirt printing.

A quality player, just not sure on his injuries.

Great player in his day, but question marks over his fitness and ability to play at the highest level after the injuries he's had. Just as much of a gamble as Michael Owen and likely to want similar wages.

I'd be quite happy to let another club take this particular gamble. Yes, if he's still got it we'd regret passing him over, but if he hasn't our wage structure can't take paying a broken old man £60k a week.

Kelbo - the LT are saying that the Davies thing is dead in the water. Williams made a call and was told "nothing doing lad". and that's the end of it apparently.

Most of us aren't ignoring it - we are fine with Davies at the same price as is being mentioned for RVN, just not for 5 million.

Ruud vN. I guess it’s inevitable but sad. We’ve obviously decided we can’t compete with the United and Chelseas, so we’ve now decided we’ll go down the route that so many second rate, struggling teams take. We’ll buy big name players who have their best days behind them , we’ll pay them £ 50,000 per week ( think about it. 50,000 pounds PER WEEK ) and they’ll just do enough to win us enough games to keep us in the league. We’ll spend a lot on encouraging and training young guys to play the game and then just dump them. We’ll sacrifice quality entertainment for dour survival. Somewhere along the line something’s gone seriously wrong… Sorry to be so pessimistic on a nice Saturday morning…

Sounds too much like a Michael Owen scenario to me ...

Archived