BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] N'zonzi Deal Agreed

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not so sure he has been in there before: But NZonzi has been called up to the France U-21 squad

I saw that too Hughesy. I checked and he has no caps, but unsure if he's been in previous squads. Wouldn't have thought so. Similar to Andrews in that he probably wouldn't have made international squads until he played at a higher level. Hope he gets a cap.

As I said when we were looking at him, I had only seen him a couple of times so it was hard to judge, but he'd always looked capable. He certainly was always going to handle the physical aspect, hopefully some parts of the technical side will continue to develop. I'm surprised that he has started straight away, but I suppose we didn't have much choice. He's been a bit of a quiet star in French football though, a lower league player that got a lot of attention considering who he played for. He didn't really have much chance of setting the league alight, he was in a very bad side and really last year was his break-out season, so to do that in a side that was relegated really didn't allow him to show off his talents.

Sounds like our scouts have done a very good job then :)

Totally Agree, well done those involved, I've been impressed with the lad, I think (And hope) he'll be a real find for us.

Oh, and well done Mr Nzonzi, I hope you get your cap and do well.

As I said when we were looking at him, I had only seen him a couple of times so it was hard to judge, but he'd always looked capable. He certainly was always going to handle the physical aspect, hopefully some parts of the technical side will continue to develop. I'm surprised that he has started straight away, but I suppose we didn't have much choice. He's been a bit of a quiet star in French football though, a lower league player that got a lot of attention considering who he played for. He didn't really have much chance of setting the league alight, he was in a very bad side and really last year was his break-out season, so to do that in a side that was relegated really didn't allow him to show off his talents.

That's the revised version of him you give us now you've seen him play. As I recall you weren't as complimentary when we signed him. Perhaps Sam got something right? :rolleyes:

That's the revised version of him you give us now you've seen him play. As I recall you weren't as complimentary when we signed him. Perhaps Sam got something right? :rolleyes:

Is it really? I think these were a couple of my first posts about N'Zonzi on this board:

June 28th

"N'Zonzi is a well respected talent."

and in response to "Should we be cautiously excited about the N'Zonzi deal Eddie?" on the 29th

"Yes and no. He certainly has potential, but has yet to be tested at a serious level and so it is really unclear as to how good he really is. I've seen him only a handful of times and he was only a sub, he didn't totally stand out at that level, but I could see why people were getting excited about him. He's unlikely to do anything for us this season, but the league will suit him physically and he may well become a player that we can use."

That seems pretty similar to what I just said. Surprised that he's played as much as he has I must admit. I'm glad to see that he's taken it pretty much in his stride.

Let's remember that the DM role is the easiest to play - especially in a five man midfield.

As long as you do your defensive duties, no-one will complain if you do nothing on the ball.

Tell that to Keith Andrews!

You have to be as adept as any other player on a football pitch, otherwise you get found wanting like Mokoena was.

If you can pass a ball 10 yards accurately, chip in with the rare goal, slow the opposition down and put in tackles without being booked then you are a good DM.

N'Zonzi has shown a fair few of these abilities. He just seems to get a bit tired after about an hour, but that will improve in time.

Let's remember that the DM role is the easiest to play - especially in a five man midfield.

As long as you do your defensive duties, no-one will complain if you do nothing on the ball.

True. NZonzi needs to either be more creative with his passing, or drive the team forward with his running to take the game to the opposition. Currently he is very very basic. Far more so than Grella who has got a lot of stick for "square passing" on here.

I'm encouraged that others see him as a real talent, but at the moment to me he seems a bit workmanlike.

Its going to be a massive four way battle between Grella, NZonzi, Emerton and, if he really is recovered, Reid to partner Dunn. I suppose Andrews is in there too....

When they are all fit NZonzi is going to have his work cut out to get ahead of the Aussie pair as Grella is a better distributor and seems to be fitter now, and Emerton has an incredible engine.

Without being disrespectful to the French second division, N'Zonzi has probably never had to challenge the technical side of his game too much in his career so far. I think it will take a couple of years for us to nurture that side of his game, but the early signs are that it can definitely be done. He looks comfortable and quite fluid on the ball, in stark contrast to Mokoena whose limits were obvious right from the start.

Eventually I think he'll be more a of a box-to-box player as he progresses, but until then sitting in front of the back four and breaking up opposition play is probably the most we can expect from him.

He's definitely a shrewd signing though and gives us hope that Allardyce can match Hughes in finding these rough diamonds for relatively nothing.

You're right. I think the French lower leagues are a good developing ground for the physical side of things. As far as European leagues go it would be almost as good as anything in terms of getting a player ready for England, but his coaching and training won't have been at the same level and the standard required won't have brought him alone either.

You're right. I think the French lower leagues are a good developing ground for the physical side of things. As far as European leagues go it would be almost as good as anything in terms of getting a player ready for England, but his coaching and training won't have been at the same level and the standard required won't have brought him alone either.

Why would his coaching and training not be of a level required in the French league 2. I'd have thought the training is as good at that level as any other if they are professionals with the only exception being the quality of players.

Why would his coaching and training not be of a level required in the French league 2. I'd have thought the training is as good at that level as any other if they are professionals with the only exception being the quality of players.

Coaches like managers and players come in a range of qualities. Like players the best coaches seek higher levels of competition and larger salaries. The money is in Spain, Italy, Germany and England, and of course French League 1 so the better coaches will go to these places if they can.

On top of that due to the much lesser resources you would expect the facilities to be inferior in that division.

He played for a decent club, but they hardly have top coaches. It's a very nice stadium, but the training facilities are hardly on a par with a good English side (basic pitches, basic gym, nothing particularly fancy about all of it).

• Backroom

Been impressed with N'Zonzi so far, this may sound daft but he seems quite young for the role he's been playing, he has shown signs of inexperience but I think he can turn into a real player in time.

With him, Junior and Kalinic all coming through we could have an exciting team soon. Almost reminiscent of the Duff/Dunn/Jansen/and to an extent Bent days, lets just hope this time its in a higher division.

I also thought the French trio linked up well on Saturday.

Is it really? I think these were a couple of my first posts about N'Zonzi on this board:

June 28th

"N'Zonzi is a well respected talent."

and in response to "Should we be cautiously excited about the N'Zonzi deal Eddie?" on the 29th

"Yes and no. He certainly has potential, but has yet to be tested at a serious level and so it is really unclear as to how good he really is. I've seen him only a handful of times and he was only a sub, he didn't totally stand out at that level, but I could see why people were getting excited about him. He's unlikely to do anything for us this season, but the league will suit him physically and he may well become a player that we can use."

That seems pretty similar to what I just said. Surprised that he's played as much as he has I must admit. I'm glad to see that he's taken it pretty much in his stride.

I thought I remembered comments about a player who was mostly on the bench for a French 2nd Division team that was relegated and an implication not to expect much but I could be wrong.

Archived