BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] N'zonzi Deal Agreed

To be fair to eddie, I checked an Amiens mb and from the translated vibe I got from there was that they did not think Nzonzi was that good and they were not expecting him to have a great career.

Clearly, he was playing in a bad team. He's no genius but his physique and self-belief may take him places. Unexpected transfers can make - and break, players.

Nyron Nosworthy, as an example, was a Gillingham right back of lowly Champ/League One level. He was considered quite good but with a serious flaw of carelessly giving the ball away. Gills fans thought that it might be safer to have him at right midfield.

Never in the wildest dreams would they have thought that Nosworthy could one day become a Premier League centre back, who would be the subject of £4 million pound bids from other Premier League clubs.

The moral of the story... An average player who finds himself serendipitously plucked into the limelight can transform into a good player quite unexpectedly.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The moral of the story... An average player who finds himself serendipitously plucked into the limelight can transform into a good player quite unexpectedly.

Exactly, we need look no further than Keith Andrews for a perfect example.

Where's the tongue in cheek smiley :D

I thought I remembered comments about a player who was mostly on the bench for a French 2nd Division team that was relegated and an implication not to expect much but I could be wrong.

I did say that he'd mostly been on the bench and that he'd been playing for a bad side, but that was more to point out that I hadn't seen him that much and that it was difficult for him to look good when playing for a bad side. I thought he was a good signing at that price, worth the risk and had a huge upside. I don't think anyone was expecting him to be as involved as he has been so early on, but it's good to see and hopefully he can continue to develop over the next couple of years and we may have one of the pieces to a decent central midfielder pairing in place.

• 3 weeks later...

Officially upgraded from "decent prospect" to the "real deal". SHow more passing range and technique today than in any previous game, marshalled and combated in the midfield excellently.

Very very impressed. Hoilett, NZonzi, Jones, (hopefully) Kalinic. A young and talented future.

Excited about this squad.

Officially upgraded from "decent prospect" to the "real deal". SHow more passing range and technique today than in any previous game, marshalled and combated in the midfield excellently.

Very very impressed. Hoilett, NZonzi, Jones, (hopefully) Kalinic. A young and talented future.

Excited about this squad.

Delighted with him today - agree totally with what you said - not quite 'Real Deal' but more like 'Real quality prospect'.

Superb battling qualities and some very good passing too (like the one he sprayed out right).

What impressed me about N'Zonzi was not so much the range of his passing (I can remember Mokoena doing a supurb lofted long ball for Pedersen to score in Hughes first season in charge - maybe against pompey) but the fact he never panicked in posession. Most of his passes were simple, but he rarely let the oppostion rattle him into making a bad pass, which for a defensive midfielder is key.

As I've said on another thread - either he or Grella needs to get forward more, or just play one of them. Preferably just play one of them imo with Emerton as the other. N'Zonzi seems better in the air then Grella and Andrews, and given that we play more long balls, having another viable threat in there is a massive boost to the team.

My big worry would be heaping too much upon him too soon.

I have no idea why this thought just came into my head but I thought I'd share it.

Is N'Zonzi the only Premier League player with two 'Z's in his name? Even including forenames?

Would make a half decent trivia question if so.

(I can remember Mokoena doing a supurb lofted long ball for Pedersen to score in Hughes first season in charge - maybe against pompey)

It was against Norwich.

It was not a superb pass because it was at an awkward head height.

Gamst turned nothing into something by heading it past Norwich right back, Drury?

Drury displayed remarkable inagility to let Gamst brush past.

And Rob Green was kind enough to get beaten by a unremarkable shot.

So even Mokoena's "glorious pass" is a myth.

The goal in question was vs Southampton I think, a long ball was latched on by Pedersen and shot from a tight angle..

Well, not sure but it is definitely not the Norwich game, Dickov got the other two in the Norwich game.

The goal in question was vs Southampton I think, a long ball was latched on by Pedersen and shot from a tight angle..

Well, not sure but it is definitely not the Norwich game, Dickov got the other two in the Norwich game.

Yep, I think that's the one sambo. Glorious pass (from our 2008 - 9 Goal of the season winner ;) ) from right back area - in front of where I sit - to same position on left wing. Without that quality of pass its no wonder he's not the goalscorer of old ;)

The great pass from Moko was definitely in the Norwich game

Archived