BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lars Jacobsen Signs

Let's not beat about the bush, he is not much more than a journeyman. If Eddie Nolan had been given a chance, maybe we wouldn't be needing this guy.

I'm sure he'll be solid but we should really be producing our own "solid" players. It's true star quality that we should be recruiting.

If Eddie Nolan was any good then he would have been given a chance. Jacobsen is no world beater but he is a quality player who should improve our team, as stated before he is the Danish number1 right back, no mean feat.

If you know where the next Fabregas is do let us all know.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good, low-risk signing.

By "low risk", I assume you mean he's cheap. To me, low risk means they have every chance of holding down a first team place.

This day and age, those that fit both counts aren't easy to find.

Let's not beat about the bush, he is not much more than a journeyman. If Eddie Nolan had been given a chance, maybe we wouldn't be needing this guy.

I'm sure he'll be solid but we should really be producing our own "solid" players. It's true star quality that we should be recruiting.

Still stories that we are after Beye. If we got him he'd be first choice at right-back I'd think. He'd also give us cover at centre-back.

Presumably Sam will play Emerton in mid-field.

Must be better than Simpson, seems an adequete replacement for Ooijer and is free. Seems like good business to me.

That's not saying much I could probably do a better job than Simpson. ;)

I'm glad about this signing, he looked decent in the few games I saw him in a Everton shirt. About time we signed a proper RB, think he'll be first choice if he's fully fit.

Defense options:

LB: Warnock, Givet

CB: Nelsen, Samba, Givet

RB: Jacobson, Emerton

Looks like we've got the defense sorted out now and can therefore concerntrate funds and attention towards finding a new central midfielder and striker.

That's not saying much I could probably do a better job than Simpson. ;)

I'm glad about this signing, he looked decent in the few games I saw him in a Everton shirt. About time we signed a proper RB, think he'll be first choice if he's fully fit.

Defense options:

LB: Warnock, Givet

CB: Nelsen, Samba, Givet

RB: Jacobson, Emerton

Looks like we've got the defense sorted out now and can therefore concerntrate funds and attention towards finding a new central midfielder and striker.

and olsson

judging by this forum and the way they treat transfers i think the main question we should be asking ourselves is what this guys future sell on price will be...

That only becomes an issue when the manager looks to blow the majority of your budget on a medicore 32 year old.

how do you know hes no good imy?

Playing for Preston in the Championship, mainly used as a sub, this is not the sort of the player that should start for a top 10 premier league side.

Playing for Preston in the Championship, mainly used as a sub, this is not the sort of the player that should start for a top 10 premier league side.

Abs - not sure if imy is just going off what has happened but have you seen Nolan play - not good enough IMO either from what I have seen (for Premier league footy anyway) and I would say questionable for Championship but only time will tell (but then again who am I to say :glare: )

A run in a side may bring it out of him - still an International at the end of the day.

I've never heard of this guy and never realised that Everton signed him last year. He's a natural right back which is good and being a free transfer, it's a good bit of business. However the guy obviously has had his injury problems, which could be an issue. The guy has played for some good Bundesliga teams and is a Danish international. Hopefully this works out well for both parties, but I'll hold judgment until I see him play.

Just to correct, Nolan was a regular in an unfamiliar left back position for much of the back-end of the season. He will, I'm sure, turn into a good Champ centre back or right back before long. Hughes was wrong to discard him after one sub appearance - the fact we had to resort to Simpson was a disgrace. It was a classic case of "experienced" mediocrity getting chance after chance and the inexperienced promising player getting binned without real opportunities.

As for Jacobson, he could be solid but I don't know about other fans but I want to see Rovers with a core of young talent that entertain us again like the Duff, Dunn and Jansen days. I know we don't have an abundance of good young players but it kind of depresses me to see teams full of "solid" journeymen.

Many people look at Everton as the benchmark for an up-and-coming team. But who wants to be like Everton? Set-piece mania, burly bruisers, playing with no width, scrapping their way to "success"?

Maybe, I'm out of touch here but I'd rather we were mid-table meanderers who try to play football and entertain than try to surmount the top six with a battering ram.

Oh marvellous: Quotes from the toffee forum:

"He was a good, solid internationally rated defender. He didn't get a good spell with us because of injury. When he did get games, be looked the goods and made Hibbert look like what he is - a poor excuse for a fullback and deffo not up to Prem standard. Hibbert must be Moyes' love-child or maybe knows something for Moyes to have so much faith in him.

I too am gutted over Jacobsen leaving, Moyes must have someone up his sleeve to be so sure that Jacobsen can be replaced. I just hope it doesn't go like last season when we ended up struggling to field an experienced side early on.

With the way the fixture list has shaped up, all those early games against theoretically lesser opposition could go the same way they did last season if we don't get up to speed early - badly. Just imagine had we picked up even a point against those sides early on how different last season could have been!"

Yesterday, 9:51 PM Post #9

QUOTE (EFC247 @ Jun 29 2009, 10:49 PM)

wonder how much we got for him?

"He was free.

Big sam must be patting himself on the back right now ."

as a dane, im quite comfortable with the jakobsen signing.

the danish national team, has for several years played the 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 system, where the backs are heavely involved in the play. In that system, its important that the backs are "playing" backs, who get forward and are comfortable on the ball.

jakobsen has for several years, been the preferred right back, when fit.. regarding his fitness issues, if i recall corectly, he really messed up his shoulder, which sidelined him for a long long time, but besides that, in dont seem to recall him being injury prone..

Its been mentioned that benny, maybe would use the world cup, as a motivator for losing some weight and get in shape, whether or not this might happen, i dont know, but i can honestly say, that for jakobsen, and his move to rovers, he will not lack motivation. He mentioned in the danish media, he came to play and that was an important part of his choice, as the WC was just around the corner..

to me, this is a really really shrewd transfer, when considering our finances..

????????????what about him, something gone hideously wrong if he gets a sniff of the first team

you're kidding right?

one bad game. young kid coming through

has the potential to be our first team left back in 3 years time tops and will one day play for a club better than us

Archived