BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lars Jacobsen Signs

Mate of mine is a big Everton fan.

He didnt play much due to injury last season, but when he did come back into the side he reckkons he looked pretty promising and he wishes they'd kept him. He was only offered 1 year with them though.

My Everton supporting mate said "Any player who is kept out the side by Tony Hibbert automatically says to the world they are crap" :lol:

I'll personally reserve judgement until he plays for us. I expect if we asked Liverpool fans about Brad Friedel when he signed for us, we wouldn't have got a single bit of praise for him either yet look how that turned out.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As mentioned in the other PL happenings thread about the plight of Pompey, I watched a TV rerun of the second half of Pompey v Everton which was played late last season and Jacobsen was playing for the Toffees so obviously I was following number 15 very closely.

Plusses:

- excellent accurate distribution of the ball and all his passing (including some ambitious ones which reached the intended recipient) kept or got forwards momentum on the move. In fact I don't think he gave posession away once.

- very good positional sense when Everton were in posession and some really impressive overlapping runs, two of which lead to Everton's best chances of the half.

- two very dangerous crosses which would surely have lead to goal attempts had Everton been playing with recognised forwards.

Negatives:

- no effective tackling from him.

- positional sense when Pompey attacked looked iffy but I have to say quite how Moyes had set up his team's defense looked pretty odd all round; Pompey were breaking at will all second half on both flanks and through the middle with quite a few Everton players looking out of position. Pompey also got an alarming amount of second balls around the Everton area.

- both Pompey's goals could have seen Jacobsen do better in the air. The first came from an unchallenged header from right back area back across goal (from what was probably offside) for Crouch to head in. The second came from a corner in which Kanu took Howard out with a body check on the goal line and Crouch executed a superb jagged run to head home- straight over a static non-airbourne Jacobsen on the post.

So open judgement on this one.

Let's see how he gets on. I feel he will be a solid

Defender for us, maybe a "hendry" for us.

I know that's quiet a statment, but I have a good feeling

About him and I have faith in BFS.

• 1 month later...
Thought I would give this thread a bump:

Lars enjoying life at Rovers

Sounds like he is really enjoying his football and i have to say i've been really impressed with Lars so far. Very solid player by the looks of it who gives 100% everytime he steps on the pitch. To get a player of his quality on a free was an absolute bargain.

I agree but is he going to get a game when everybody is 'Match Fit'?

I agree but is he going to get a game when everybody is 'Match Fit'?

Salgado is the only one who would take his place from him, but he's going to be a liability against quick wingers if the reserve matches are any indication.

• 2 weeks later...

Lars Jacobsen is ###### brilliant.

Agreed. First things first he is a defender and does his defensive duties well - he marks tight, gets in good tackles, and rarely looses his man, even against more pacey opponents. He's not flash but utterly reliable.

He's also not bad at getting forward, and seems to have grown in this in his short time at ewood. I remember him rarely getting forward in the first few games, but doing more so in the last few games. He's nothing flash, but he does support the winger, and has a good cross on him.

In short everything you want for a right back, made all the sweeter as he cost nothing. It is however still early days but if he keeps up this form I'll be very happy.

• Backroom

I makes me laugh that we got him on a free from Everton who go and replace him with Neill who must be a similar age and on a lot more dough I'd imagine.

Allardyce beat Moyes hands down on this one.

i've seen him play about 4 times now and he's easily the best right back we've had for some years. hes like Lucas Neill but without the attitude

I know what you mean, but he's much much better than Lucas Neill.

• 5 months later...
  • Backroom

I feel a bit for Lars, I think he did nearly everything right and then found himself out of the team and never got back.

Then again I feel any of Lars, Chimbonda or Salgado could do a job at RB, the question still remains, why were 3 needed?

At least they are better than Danny Simpson

Archived