BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Le Tour

As for the TDF, totally disagree with O2G. Who says Contador is team leader at Astana? Clearly there were no "team orders" when the Spaniard jumped the group on Friday, but he absolutely had to do that just to get back on level par with Armstrong.

I think Armstrong is keeping his powder dry for the Alps, and he'll put some noses out of joint when the race gets over there next weekend. Contador's time will come, but if Armstrong can challenge for this Tour win then I hope he takes it. He deserves this slice of cycling history.

Well Johann Bruneel thinks Contador is the team leader - he said this on 29th June: -

Johan Bruyneel, Astana's team manager yesterday confirmed that Alberto Contador will lead Astana at the Tour.

“After winning the Tour in 2007 and then becoming the fifth cyclist to win all three Grand Tours, it’s hard to find a better stage race rider than Alberto,” Bruyneel said in a video on Astana’s website (www.astana-cyclingteam.com) as the Kazakh funded team unveiled their Tour roster.

This means Contador will not only have Lance Armstrong working for him but also previous podium finishes Levi Leipheimer and Andreas Klöden. Add to that veteran mountain climber and previous top 5 finisher Haimar Zubeldia and it really is hard to see Contador being beaten.

Tris - I assume that Armstrong was following team orders in last week's opportunistic break in the windy conditions?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I don't know what the Astana team management have been saying I feel one thing is clear; Armstrong wants this and team orders or not I think he'll go for the kill when the time is right. One of the interesting aspects is this. Suppose Armstrong goes for the jugular while there are still days to go what would be the Astana team response? Hang Armstrong out to dry and pull Contador through or support Armstrong as the leader? I think Armstrong is playing a very clever game this year and I'm looking to see when he makes the move because all he's doing now is sitting and waiting. My money is he'll stay just on the fringe until Ventoux and then go for the kill knowing if he comes off the mountain in yellow he should win the tour the next day.

Lets not forget Bradley Wiggins and Mark Cavendish two British riders who are having a fanatstic tour.

While I don't know what the Astana team management have been saying I feel one thing is clear; Armstrong wants this and team orders or not I think he'll go for the kill when the time is right. One of the interesting aspects is this. Suppose Armstrong goes for the jugular while there are still days to go what would be the Astana team response? Hang Armstrong out to dry and pull Contador through or support Armstrong as the leader? I think Armstrong is playing a very clever game this year and I'm looking to see when he makes the move because all he's doing now is sitting and waiting. My money is he'll stay just on the fringe until Ventoux and then go for the kill knowing if he comes off the mountain in yellow he should win the tour the next day.

Lets not forget Bradley Wiggins and Mark Cavendish two British riders who are having a fanatstic tour.

Clearly Armstrong now believes he can win and he will do whatever is necessary to do that. It sounds like the team is split in terms of who they will support when it comes to the crunch.

I don't know what the team response will be but I think Armstrong will have to go before Ventoux. If he leaves it till then and it's a straight race between him and Contador then Contador will win. There's also the possibility of one of the Schleck brothers upsetting things with a breakaway in the Alps. Whatever happens I'm sure it will come down to a race between the major contenders left on the Ventoux on 25th.

Tris - I assume that Armstrong was following team orders in last week's opportunistic break in the windy conditions?

I think that was slightly different, as Columbia's tempo split the field and it perhaps showed up a bit of inexperience on Contador's part that he got left behind in the main bunch. Leaving him 19 seconds behind Armstrong and therefore in need of that solo breakaway on the way up to Andorra Arcelis.

It's fascinatingly balanced between them, and I feel sure that both will try and make a decisive break in the Alps.

Well Contador certainly stamped his authority on the race today, and I can't see him not winning from here. Even if he loses time in Thursdays individual time trial, he looks capable of wiping the floor with everyone on Mont Ventoux on Saturday. Armstrong sounds like he's conceded, and will therefore now protect his team leader, making it doubly unlikely that anyone else has a chance.

The surprise package to emerge is our own Bradley Wiggins, sitting proudly in third behind the two Astana world beaters. Hope he can keep up with them over the next few daunting days in the Alps, and we see a Brit on the podium in Paris on Sunday.

Well Contador certainly stamped his authority on the race today, and I can't see him not winning from here. Even if he loses time in Thursdays individual time trial, he looks capable of wiping the floor with everyone on Mont Ventoux on Saturday. Armstrong sounds like he's conceded, and will therefore now protect his team leader, making it doubly unlikely that anyone else has a chance.

The surprise package to emerge is our own Bradley Wiggins, sitting proudly in third behind the two Astana world beaters. Hope he can keep up with them over the next few daunting days in the Alps, and we see a Brit on the podium in Paris on Sunday.

I agree that probably only a crash or illness can stop Contador winning. I'm not sure about Wiggins, as we are in uncharted territory with him in his new found role as climber. He could carry on in the same vein in which case a podium place is his for the taking, especially as he has the time trial in Annecy to help him. Or he may have one bad day, lose time and be out of the running - it's happened to plenty of others before. If he can hold his form he has every chance of passing Armstrong, who will be focused on protecting Contador and who he will probably take time from in the time trial. I would see Andy Schleck as the man most likely to pass Wiggins in one of the three mountain stages left.

Hat off to bradley for sticking with it yesterday. Mightly impressive stuff to completely change his stance and here's hoping he is still around and about after the next few stages. Even better when you know he trains in bolton by bowland area. I would know he overtook me one day

Hat off to bradley for sticking with it yesterday. Mightly impressive stuff to completely change his stance and here's hoping he is still around and about after the next few stages. Even better when you know he trains in bolton by bowland area. I would know he overtook me one day

Not that surprising given he lives in Eccleston.

The road to hell

Even if you don't like cycling Ventoux today promises to be a monumental stage. Apparently there's a 70mph wind at the mountain top this morning. Come on Bradley. ITV4 at 1.00pm.

I'm off for my own little tour tomorrow. Chorley - Berwick - Carlisle - Chorley.......doesn't have quite the same ring to it :D

A classis stage today which will be remembered for a long time. Wiggins did incredibly well to hang in there for fourth place, it was only the best climbers in the world who beat him, mind you the headwind probably helped a lot. Anyone notice Tony Martin? His eyes kept rolling into the back of the sockets, the guy was totally gone but still managed to get second though he deserved first for the ride.

Martin´s performance is even more impressive considering the TT he did the day before yesterday and then found himself the only one left to be Cavendish´s lead out man for yesterdays sprint. He was right no the limit yesterday as well, gave everything he had.

The podium is settled now, shame Wiggins didn´t make it but he has done very well to be top 10. Happy for Lance, 8 time podium finisher now. Only the fight for the green jersey remains now, tomorrow will be extremely exciting. But I think Cavendish will win the stage, I just hope Thor hangs on to the green jersey.

Which Eccleston? the one near Charnock?

Yes. He's a Londoner, although born in Ghent whilst his father was cycling there, but his wife is from West Lancashire and he is also within striking distance of the Manchester velodrome. I presume he spends most of the cycling season based with his team on the continent though.

The one who used to be Doctor Who.

I ended up watching todays stage, and I was getting knackered sitting on my sofa! Never watched the race before partially due to the constant drug scandals.

And well done Bradley, an amazing achievement for a track racer on his debut. Is there a full stage in Paris next, or is it a ceremony?

In theory it's a stage race but in reality the podium positions are already decided unless Bradley Wiggins can hunt down Armstrong!

The final stage into Paris is a regular stage but there is a gentleman´s agreement that the GC is settled as they go in and they will not race for it there. Unless someones crashes or has to retire for some reason, the top 10 is settled as is. There is though a lot of prestige in winning on the Champs Elysees and EVERY sprinter still in the peloton will have had his eye on this stage since the start of the race and certainly as they have struggled over the alps in the last week. So there will be racing for the stage win. The green jersey is also not decided and points will be on the line on this stage, so some excitement remains.

I'd be pelting it if I was Wiggins and trying for 3rd. Cavendish has done brilliantly as well, and I'd love him to win the last stage. The green jersey is for the top sprinter isn't it? And do the sprinters like Cavendish, and the 'king of the mountains' people compete throughout the tour or just certain stages?

It is all further proof that British cycling is getting stronger and stronger.

The green jersey is a points jersey, not a "best sprinter" jersey. You win points on intermediate sprints on all stages, as well as for the top 20 odd positions on a stage. The amount of points you win depends on the difficulty of the stage. There are "king of the mountain" points to be won on any stage with a classified climb so there will be some stages with no points on the polka dot to be won.

British cycling is without a doubt right up there with the best in the world. Certainly within track cycling.

So it is usually decided by the time it finishes in Paris. I'd start watching it if I could get the drugs thing out of my head. It's the same reason that I am less interested in athletics.

Yes it is decided by Paris, though to be honest if I was Wiggins I'd try to hunt down Armstrong tomorrow. With the Sky Team coming up Wiggins has everything to race for.

On the drugs thing I think you have to just forget it, there's very little doping these days and the guys who are winning appear to be clean. People like Cavendish and Wiggins really do seem to be doing it off their own ability. I think the other thing is to try and just enjoy the beauty of the race, this is my main interest though I have to admit to being very excited this afternoon - this was a spectacular stage in every sense. You watched today and I'd suggest there is a certain beauty about the peloton swooping through the bends, climbing as one, the crowds etc. This is as big as any footballl match for many people, I know of messageboards where folk are posting through the stage in the same way Rovers fans do on here during a game. I find the whole combination of the crowds, the race, the countryside fascinating. The TV said there 700,000 people on the mountain today!

Awesome from Mark Cavendish to take the biggest and best stage win today in Paris - he finished several bike lengths clear.

And massive credit to his team, especially Mark Renshaw who has delivered Cavendish to the line so many times on this tour.

I have really enjoyed watching the race this year, having Ventoux on the penultimate day was a great idea. Contador is a worthy winner, and Armstrong is just an incredible sportsman to be able to come back after three years away and take 3rd place, at the age of 37.

Roll on Le Tour 2010, I will miss having the beautiful pictures of France rolling past for the next 49 weeks.

Yes, fantastic achievement from Cavendish. I was punching the air as he flew past to what was an easy stage win in the end. Shows the value of a good, strong, tactical team. Columbia must be delighted as they seem to have had more exposure than that of the overall winning team.

Makes me want to nip down to Ewood Bikes and buy another racer....... :o

That penultimate stage looked hideous. Is that one in every year, or is the route so varied that it pops up every now and then? I know the route changes, but I don't know to what extent. The tour seems to have a similar mentality to test cricket from the perspective of the viewer. It takes a long time to finish, there are ebbs and flows in the leaderboard, and there are peculiarities such as the different coloured jerseys. You have to get in a similar state of mind to watch it.

Thats what struck me anyway.

The route changes every year, however they always cross the alps and the Pyrenees and always finish in Paris on the Champs Elysee. Usually they alternate going clockwise and anti clockwise around France, going over the Pyrenees first or the Alps first. They don´t finish at Mont Ventoux every year no, but it is part of the tour regularly even if it is not every year. There are also some other "classic" mountains that feature regularly, with lots of Tour history attached to it. There are also some towns and cities that tend to feature more as stage finishes or starts than others.

Being able to host the Tour is a pretty big deal for the different places as you can well imagine.

Archived