BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Kenwyne Jones

Why take a punt though when we've just received c. £21m in transfer fees?

but we havent have we? didnt they only pay 15 million with 3 million depending on how many games he plays and goals he scores....

sam has only 10-13 million to spend wouldnt jones cost more than that?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We won't be spending all of the money we have received though.

We have to think about the long-term financial health of the club!

You'd have us spend £13m 'taking a punt' on a player? Surely that would be a FAR greater financial risk for the club!

but we havent have we? didnt they only pay 15 million with 3 million depending on how many games he plays and goals he scores....

sam has only 10-13 million to spend wouldnt jones cost more than that?

He may well do, but we still shouldn't be taking chances with players when we have enough money to buy a good one.

I would be very happy with him. Think he is a good player now and has the potential to be a great player. He needs consistancy but that often comes with age and at 24 i would expect that to start developing now. Sign him up!

He is decent in the air

Understatement. He's fantastic in the air.

Here is what John Terry said about him:

"Jones was fantastic and I have played against him twice now. He is a very good player. Very hard working and probably the best in the air in the entire Premier League. He really is that good.

"All the lads are talking about him afterwards. How well he did and how impressive he was. If Sunderland can stay up and keep hold of him they have a fantastic chance of kicking on."

i think jones is a great player i know he has been injured, but ability wise he will improve.... if we could get him go for it sam

maybe the deal is we dont chase bent and crouch then they can go to sunderland and sam will get jones...

as nicko says sam and bruce are good friends.. ;)

for the most part of last season (apart from when he went through about 8 games of awfulness) Roberts did well for us, even put quite a few in the back of the net. i like him, he does a job in our system.

it is because of this that i feel jones could also do a job, perhaps even a better one. if big sam is confident he can get some consistency out of him, and thaat he is fit enough to come, he could well become roberts' successor. if we had jones, roberts and big mac, along with di santo, i don't feel we would need a direct replacement for rocky until di santo's loan ends. this gives us plenty of time to find new targets and spot some bargains

Sunderland fans generally do rate him as a good player who has loads of potential.

On his day he is almost unplayable (as per Terry comments), but he doesn't have enough of them. Some games he doesn't look interested and at times seems quite lazy.

However, he did have a bad injury and missed a big part of last season. Feelings are with a full pre-season behind him and new manager/backroom staff that he might just show this year how good he can be.

Nobody really knows what Bruce thinks though, and that is the big question. If he doesn't fancy him he might just cash in on him, but i'd be suprised.

I'd rather take a punt on Andy Carroll from the barcodes.

Good job your not in charge of player recruitment ;) . I don't get this Andy Carroll hysteria - he's looked okay from what I've seen for a target man but he's only played a handful of games. If we were to replace RSC with Andy Carroll then I'd want JW/Big Sam shot.

As for Jones, he's certainly a handful and I'd be fairly pleased with him. I too can't see Sunderland letting him go for less then £10-£12 million and if Nicko's estimates are correct then that's out of our price range.

Good job your not in charge of player recruitment ;) . I don't get this Andy Carroll hysteria - he's looked okay from what I've seen for a target man but he's only played a handful of games. If we were to replace RSC with Andy Carroll then I'd want JW/Big Sam shot.

As for Jones, he's certainly a handful and I'd be fairly pleased with him. I too can't see Sunderland letting him go for less then £10-£12 million and if Nicko's estimates are correct then that's out of our price range.

Agree on all of this. Carroll struggled to get into the preston team on loan, and didn't really cut it at championship level - maybe he will this time round mind. Certainly not good enough for us. Sadly agree with Somerset that Jones is probably beyond our means, as it seems are most decent forwards.

No doubt if you had a gun to hand at the time you'd have shot Hughes and Williams for bringing in RSC and Samba. How about blowing Souey away for buying Tugay?

Carroll can be a handful for sure. I've seen enough of him to know that he has quality, but I've not seen enough of him to know just how much quality.

Never understood the hype about Jones. Doesn't score and the other aspects of his game are not worth the frankly insane £12m+ often quoted in the press. He is indeed like Heskey-over rated and over priced.

He looks quality to me. Whether his flaw is in having that frustrating 'laid back' attitude I cannot say.

I think Jones is a good target and as long as it stayed in the 7/8 region (which seems unlikely, but you never know) I think it could be a fantastic signing. Have to be a bit wary of signing a player after such a big injury and only one good premiership season, so going up to 11 or 12 million would be a risk. Of all the players around who have premiership experience, are of a good age and are realistic targets he is probably the best shout. Certainly always looks a handful.

I think Jones is a good target and as long as it stayed in the 7/8 region (which seems unlikely, but you never know) I think it could be a fantastic signing. Have to be a bit wary of signing a player after such a big injury and only one good premiership season, so going up to 11 or 12 million would be a risk. Of all the players around who have premiership experience, are of a good age and are realistic targets he is probably the best shout. Certainly always looks a handful.

I don't understand this "putting a value" on someone Eddie. They [meaning rovers] either want him, or they don't. What should they do, spend less on an inferior player - even though we had the dough for the first choice?

Well personally I think Cardozo or Gignac are better players, so if the club decides to spend 12 million on a player I think we can do better than Jones. You have to look at who gives you value for money, it's unrealistic to think "we'll pay any price for option A". The club has to look at a deal that makes sense financially. Almost every player we are looking at is a risk for one reason or another. Almost all of them have potential and there is reason to believe they could be a huge hit. We should be looking for value out of those options.

OK Den, say we have a wish list of five strikers, number five being Kevin Davies, for example. The club are willing to spend £13m on the number one star striker, but bids of that amount for all of the top four from the list have been rejected, do we then bid £13m for Davies?

As Edie says, it's all about value for money.

Jones can score goals in this league and he can score against the big teams.

He could bring a positive slant on the Rovers team. He is tall and fast. He can jump, head and shoot, he can provide a link up for the midfield and/second striker.

He isnt afraid to mix it, ask John Terry.

In the right team he could creat havic for the opposition.

A big bulky fast running, good heading striker is what we need.

He, IMO, would be a good signng for Rovers

OK Den, say we have a wish list of five strikers, number five being Kevin Davies, for example. The club are willing to spend £13m on the number one star striker, but bids of that amount for all of the top four from the list have been rejected, do we then bid £13m for Davies?

As Edie says, it's all about value for money.

You look at the options and decide which one you want. You then pay the asking price as long as it's affordable. That's entirely different to putting a price on their head and not budging from it.

Jones is a damn good player already and only going to get better. Sunderland will be unlikely to sell as they know they have a talent on their hands.

I am interested to read the opinions of those who do not rate him. Who would you want us to go for instead?

Jones is a damn good player already and only going to get better. Sunderland will be unlikely to sell as they know they have a talent on their hands.

I am interested to read the opinions of those who do not rate him. Who would you want us to go for instead?

Can't answer your second point FLB, as we don't know who will become available. As for Jones, well it's only opinions - and everyone's opinion is as valid as anyone else's, but for me I prefer the more intelligent type of forward. Someone who can use a bit of nous and has a sharp footballing brain on him. Rocky had it - as did Bellamy. Mike Newell had it - as did Steve Archibald. Tony Field had it - as did Kevin Gallagher. Surely we're not stuck with the Sheffki Kuqi's of this world? He ticked all the boxes you know - quick, tall, had that sell on fee and scored a few goals as well :D

I'd agree with that. Got the build of a sprinter/heavyweight and awesome in the air. For those suspicious of physical specimens I'd say that he can play a bit as well. I cant believe The Makems would sell him unless they are concered about his fitness.

Archived