BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Kenwyne Jones

We got bigger crowds in the Championship than Blackburn got when they won the league...

How big a place is blackburn compaired with sunderland? and how many other teams are there around the respective teams? both make a massive difference, and loosing 15 - 20 K when the going gets tough suggests there are a lot of fair weather fans.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And a quote from John Terry for those who think Jones is just some plodder on a par with Jason Roberts.

"Jones was fantastic and I have played against him twice now. He is a very good player. Very hard working and probably the best in the air in the entire Premier League. He really is that good.

"All the lads are talking about him afterwards. How well he did and how impressive he was. If Sunderland can stay up and keep hold of him they have a fantastic chance of kicking on."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/...ob-Chelsea.html

well if the asking price is 20m u certainly wont recieve that, sorry if he is the only or best striker on your books but there are far better strikers out there for that price, for instance the type of players you want to bringing in will keep jones out the side and cost less than 20m

Blackburn have a better squad than Sunderland?

The only players that would get in our first 11 are Samba, Warnock and maybe Gamst Pedersen as we dont have a left winger. Also, our ground is alot bigger but i dont want to get into arguing over who's club is bigger. But Kenwyne Jones will not be leaving sunderland this summer unless Spurs come back with a huge bid.

How big a place is blackburn compaired with sunderland? and how many other teams are there around the respective teams? both make a massive difference, and loosing 15 - 20 K when the going gets tough suggests there are a lot of fair weather fans.

Fair enough but if you were a player you'd hardly take that into account would you? You'd see crowds of 20k at Blackburn and 40k+ at Sunderland and think 'hmmm'....

Btw, I think Blackburn and Sunderland are at pretty similair levels atm but, bias aside, I think Sunderland have more of a chance of progressing in the future. More fans, better stadium/facilities, more money etc

Im not saying that Sunderland are a huge club, bloody hell we just stayed up last season. We are targetting the top 8 in the next few years but im fully aware that we need at least 7 players added to the squad to achieve this. I would settle for 12th next season which is achievable.

There hasnt been any talk up here that Bruce doesnt want Jones, hes the only striker on out books atm

I dont think that Jones is worth 25m, im saying thats what would need to be offered if we were to sell him as we turned down 20m in January.

"And Ellis' involvement to date also enabled us to turn down a club record bid of up to £20million for Kenwyne Jones from Tottenham Hotspur in the January transfer window. " Thats a quote from Niall Quinn a few weeks ago.

But managers don't come out and say you can have a player for peanuts do they? I think Quinn is just trying to talk Jones price up. Additionally there are other factors in selling in January, such as limited time to get in a replacement, and less movement in the transfer window, which make it less appealing to do business then, and probably also contributed to Jones staying.

From the reviews that sunderland fans are giving, I think we may need to pay more than the £6 million, but £20-25 is daft. The players you are replacing him with aren't costing that, both Crouch and Bent are rumoured to be costing £10 - 15 million, so I hardly think comparatively that Sunderland can ask or expect to get £20-25 million.

well if the asking price is 20m u certainly wont recieve that, sorry if he is the only or best striker on your books but there are far better strikers out there for that price, for instance the type of players you want to bringing in will keep jones out the side and cost less than 20m

Again, we arent looking to bring in anyone to replace Jones, we want 2 strikers because Jones is currnetly the only senior striker at the club. He may not be worth 20m but we could get that as we were offered 20m in January.

Again, we arent looking to bring in anyone to replace Jones, we want 2 strikers because Jones is currnetly the only senior striker at the club. He may not be worth 20m but we could get that as we were offered 20m in January.

spurs bid it? he was bidding for everyone! now he hasnt got the same amount of money to start throwing cash like that around and i fail to see any other team spending 20m on jones sorry

8m? :lol: We signed him for 6m 2 years ago as an unproven striker, first season in the premiership in a poor side he got 7 goals and 11 assists (second only to Fabregas). Second season he picked up a knee ligament injury that could have wrecked his career, he came back and scored 12 goals in 25 games. We then turned down a 20m bid in January so why would he be worth 8m and Santa Cruz worth 18?

Sorry but it wasnt £20m, see our resident journo to see the truth.

I didnt come here to start this but Sunderland have a big stadium and facilities etc with passionate fans and a young enthusiastic chairman. Just been taken over and have a lot of money to spend to add to a decent squad and it looks like we are on the up. Sunderland are now an attractive proposition to players atm imo.

Willy measuring contest?!? OK! :lol:

When did you last win a major league or cup? When did you last get in Europe?

Out of 8 seasons in the prem, you finished in the bottom 6, 7 out of 8 times.

Big Stadium yes, plenty of fans yes, but what else is there to do up there?

I mean come on you even have a Geordie as your manager!! ha ha. You had money when you had Keane too, what happened then?? BIG CLUB SUNDERLAND, JUST LIKE BIG CLUB GEORDIES N BIG CLUB BRUM!!

spurs bid it? he was bidding for everyone! now he hasnt got the same amount of money to start throwing cash like that around and i fail to see any other team spending 20m on jones sorry

Dont apologise, hes not for sale anyway so we arent looking for anyone to bid that much

Sorry but it wasnt £20m, see our resident journo to see the truth.

So Niall Quinn is lying and some journalist on a message board knows the insides of our transfer deals? :lol:

Dont apologise, hes not for sale anyway so we arent looking for anyone to bid that much

well its just clubs who are on the up usually eventually dispose of what they have now - unless they are not moving up very far. its what we did, its what city are doing, villa and everton too really i suppose.

If your right, im sure we will go grab ourselves another bargain and turn him into a better player than kenwyne jones, we always do :P

So Niall Quinn is lying and some journalist on a message board knows the insides of our transfer deals? :lol:

Stick around and see how accurate our resident journo usually is...updates daily and usually bang on.

Niall Quinn is Irish - He probably had 1 too many drinks before he spoke to the press :P (No offence to any other irish intended ha)

Blackburn have a better squad than Sunderland?

The only players that would get in our first 11 are Samba, Warnock and maybe Gamst Pedersen as we dont have a left winger. Also, our ground is alot bigger but i dont want to get into arguing over who's club is bigger. But Kenwyne Jones will not be leaving sunderland this summer unless Spurs come back with a huge bid.

Fair enough, not looking for an argument. Have a lot of friends who are long time Sunderland fans, and think you're one of the more decent premiership clubs.

As an aside I'd most definately prefer Emerton at right back, Givet at centre half as he is immense and Robinson in goal. Based on last season's performances I'd also have McCarthy up there with Jones, instead of Cisse. You could possibly make a case for Nelsen slotting in at cb although I think you are being overly generous in giving Pedersen a chance in your Blackburn-Sunderland XI.

Fair enough but if you were a player you'd hardly take that into account would you? You'd see crowds of 20k at Blackburn and 40k+ at Sunderland and think 'hmmm'....

Btw, I think Blackburn and Sunderland are at pretty similair levels atm but, bias aside, I think Sunderland have more of a chance of progressing in the future. More fans, better stadium/facilities, more money etc

I'd sadly have to agree with that, in the modern game money talks and rovers need funds to kick on. Although at the moment would say Rovers are a bit ahead of Sunderland. We're seriously underestimated in terms of our facilities, and the club culture, both of which are highly spoken of. I'd say the first XI is a bit better, and bias aside I'd prefer Sam as manager to Bruce. Additionally there's the prestige from more top 10 finishes and trophies over the last decade and a half.

well its just clubs who are on the up usually eventually dispose of what they have now - unless they are not moving up very far. its what we did, its what city are doing, villa and everton too really i suppose.

If your right, im sure we will go grab ourselves another bargain and turn him into a better player than kenwyne jones, we always do :P

I agree that you have to get rid of some players to improve the team. We are doing that at the minute with the squad players like Whitehead, Nosworthy, Halford, Murphy, Edwards, Healy etc. But Jones is one of the ones that is capable of performing at the very top and we are looking to build a side around Gordon, Ferdinand, Richardson, Malbranque and Jones.

anyway to get the topic back to where its supposed to be here are a few links regarding the matter

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/...-exit-door.html

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2009...d-star-kenwyne-

I agree that you have to get rid of some players to improve the team. We are doing that at the minute with the squad players like Whitehead, Nosworthy, Halford, Murphy, Edwards, Healy etc. But Jones is one of the ones that is capable of performing at the very top and we are looking to build a side around Gordon, Ferdinand, Richardson, Malbranque and Jones.

you the fans maybe? but is steve bruce???

Fair enough, not looking for an argument. Have a lot of friends who are long time Sunderland fans, and think you're one of the more decent premiership clubs.

As an aside I'd most definately prefer Emerton at right back, Givet at centre half as he is immense and Robinson in goal. Based on last season's performances I'd also have McCarthy up there with Jones, instead of Cisse. You could possibly make a case for Nelsen slotting in at cb although I think you are being overly generous in giving Pedersen a chance in your Blackburn-Sunderland XI.

I can only comment on what ive seen on sky and match of the day so it isnt really fair for me to comment. The reason i chose Pederson is because we dont actually have a left winger at the minute except Andy Reid who is out of form. I would agree with McCarthy up front as Jones is our only striker although Fraizer Campbell is joining on Monday but dont know how he will fair.

If everything in the papers was true we would be looking at Europe next season

so equally maybe you aint buying crouch or bent!! fair point

shame the league tables in the paper arent always true, would of made supporting your lot better for the last 20 years minimum

I can only comment on what ive seen on sky and match of the day so it isnt really fair for me to comment. The reason i chose Pederson is because we dont actually have a left winger at the minute except Andy Reid who is out of form. I would agree with McCarthy up front as Jones is our only striker although Fraizer Campbell is joining on Monday but dont know how he will fair.

Fair enough, I'm not a Sunderland expert, but know a reasonable amount due to my sunderland mates. Hmm Peds probably does edge it over Reid but only just. As for the others look out for Givet and Emerton in particular. Givet is one of the best readers of the game, and Emerton was pre injury (we'll see how he comes back) one of the most athletic right backs you would see. His excellent constant overlaps from right backs give the team an extra dimension in attack and gives the right midfielder a heck of a lot more space.

Btw what do you think of Campbell as a signing? Wouldn't be too happy with it myself, don't think he's £6 million worth of talent.

Gordan? Wasn't he a sub for much of last season?

Considering the amount of money Sunderland have had to spend, the club's progress has been embarrassing.

He got injured mate, broken foot i think

You can look at the amount of money and think it could have been spent better but who was available at the time? Keane tried for many good players like Baines, Warnock etc but they werent interested at the time. We came up with a poor team without much premiership quality and couldnt attact anyone so he spent money on unproven players that might be able to keep us up and it worked and we recieve 40m tv money from staying up. Im not complaining lol

Now we seem to be able to attract good players this season will be the time to judge us

I knew the "my club is bigger than yours!" debate was utterly pointless and to be avoided when I read a Hull fan saying they were a bigger club than Sunderland a few months ago. Football fans eh?

No matter what you say, what links you come up with, what ITK journo's post here...I can say with 100% confidence than Kenwyne Jones will not be signing for Blackburn for £8m next season. It just doesn't make sense on any level whatsoever. Maybe if you double that valuation and we get both Crouch and Bent. Maybe but I still think there'd be "bigger" clubs than Blackburn in for him if that was the case.

Archived