BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Squad Numbers 2009/10

I'm utterly gobsmacked.

Our famous number nine shirt has been officially designated to the single worst finisher in the entire Premier League.

What message does it send to the fans? Rather then bring in an exciting new recruit to replace Roque we'll just hand our most iconic shirt to a Championship-level striker who has somehow become part of the furniture. (I know the Kalinic signing is in the pipeline.) As far as omens go, this can't be a good one.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's a number for Christs sake.

:lol: :lol:

They really should have reserved it for Kalinic though. The only reason I can think of for not doing so is that Sam doesn't want to put more pressure on a young player.

I know it's only a number, but it's a very uncomfortable feeling to have Roberts as number 9. Still, at least Andrews didn't 6 like someone posted the other day.

They really should have reserved it for Kalinic though. The only reason I can think of for not doing so is that Sam doesn't want to put more pressure on a young player.

I know it's only a number, but it's a very uncomfortable feeling to have Roberts as number 9. Still, at least Andrews didn't 6 like someone posted the other day.

I would have liked to have seen Kalinic get it but in a way it would have been a bit of a kick in the teeth for Roberts and our other forwards to reserve it for someone who isn't guaranteed to get a work permit.

Wasnt 30 his favourite number ??

It is only a number though. And it hasnt always gone to our best strikers. Im not comparing quality, but players like Kuqi, Ward (if im not mistaken), Stead, Bent have all worn the famous number 9.

I still dont like the number 11 on Grella. I play with number 11 and although i would love it to be reserved for me i think it would be suited to a more attacking player.

Anyway, its just a number, Chelsea didnt do badly when Sidwell, Boulharouz or Sutton had number 9 ! :)

Squad list:

1 Paul Robinson

2 Lars Jacobsen

3 Stephen Warnock

4 Chris Samba

5 Gael Givet

6 Ryan Nelsen

7 Brett Emerton

8 David Dunn

9 Jason Roberts

10 Benni Mccarthy

11 Vince Grella

12 Morten Pedersen

13 Zurab Khizanishvili

14 Paul Gallagher

15 Steven Nzonzi

16 Steven Reid

17 Keith Andrews

18 El Hadji Diouf

19 Aaron Doran

20 Elrio Van Heerden

21 Martin Olsson

23 Junior Hoilett

24 Keith Treacy

25 Alan Judge

26 Franco Di Santo

32 Jason Brown

34 Francis Fielding

38 Mark Bunn

I wish Jason Roberts would F**k OFF!

:lol:

Trouble is, Shillito, it's what he tries to do every match; backing into the defenders, falling over and raising his hand for a foul, sitting in the middle of the box with his hands in the air - I've had enough already and that's only from pre-season :( . Jase, please stop it and PLAY, you're a big strong lad you don't need those tired old tactics.

Any team with Jason Roberts as number 9 is in big trouble.

There is no physical logic to statement, but that's just the way it goes.

What a sh*tbag.

:lol: Its not often I agree with you, but I do. Yes I know he can do a job, but we should have better strikers than him.

Obviously he is staying so he needs to stop messing around like Mum says - stop diving and claiming foul every 2 minutes - he can score goals, he just needs to get on with it and stop the moaning

I still don't understand why William Gallas wears the number 10 shirt, when usually the number 10 shirt is for the striker. It's kind of the same with Roberts, they don't seem to mean much these days. Most strikers want a random number not just the traditional number 9 & 10, like Henry 14, Tevez 32, Adebayor 25 etc.

I'm happy the numbers worked out just how I liked, I couldn't wait to get my shirt printed, I'm just glad Nelsen's number hasn't changed. I assumed Jacobsen would be number 2 with Givet the legendary number 5 so I'm pleased :P

• Backroom

The outcry over Roberts getting the number 9 is laughable (SACK THE BOARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), numbers in football don't mean anything any more.

Thought Hoilett would want 23 as said previously.

It can be a bit of a moral boost and a bit of a statement of intent to give a player a certain number, especially the traditional 1-11. Seem to remember Ferguson doing it regularly with Cole after a season or so at manure, to the no 9 shirt, moving beckham from the no 10 to 7 shirt when sheringham came in to replace cantona so sheringham didn't get the same number as a couple of examples off the top of my head.

It isn't a big thing, but there is something pleasing about players who seem to own/characterise a number. It can be part of their status/identity with the club. Duff was a great typical no 11 for example, Hendry a typical centre half number 5, Savage was a top number 8; giving Sutton the no 9 shirt after Shearer was a nice statement of intent if nothing else. I always associate the no 17 shirt with Billy McKinlay, who was a favourite of mine if not our most gifted player ever. Think we've had some random numbers before. Wasn't babbel number 11 when he was on loan with us?

We've had worse than Roberts as the number 9 and maybe it's mindgames to ease the pressure on our new strikers which is fair enough. Although to be fair I never begrudged Kuqi it. It's not a massive thing; although when I walk round with a number on the back of the shirt, that can help tell people who probably don't know what it is where they play. Guess it's the little things like that which aren't all important but have some significance to the fans who support the club and invest a lot of emotion into it.

Archived