BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nokia 5800 Or Iphone

Im thinking of getting the Nokia 5800 express music phone. However i need some advice from those who have the 5800 and those with the iPhone. How does the 5800 compare to the iPhone?

Im actually looking at the N97. Mind you the iphone couldnt send a multimedia message, didnt have bluetooth, and only a 2mp camera. Samsung pixon/innov8 has an 8mp camera, think it supports Divx and Xvid. Ive played with the iPhone, and its good but not great. Also the iphone does it have 3G HSDPA 7.2mbps speeds? Is it a quadband phone? Those were things i didnt know if the iPhone had that features.

Mind you the iphone couldnt send a multimedia message, didnt have bluetooth, and only a 2mp camera.

Ive played with the iPhone, and its good but not great. Also the iphone does it have 3G HSDPA 7.2mbps speeds? Is it a quadband phone? Those were things i didnt know if the iPhone had that features.

The iPhone can multimedia message and is Bluetooth capable

The 3GS is also capable of HSDPA 7.2mbps speeds (but this is dependant on carrier). The iPhone is Quadband

Guest Kamy100

I have the Iphone and I would recommend that. However the N97 is also a mighty impressive phone, the reviews for the N97 have all been very positive.

I've got the 5800. It's a decent phone. Obviously it doesn't have anyway near the amount of apps that the iPhone has, but they have recently opened the new OVI store. The battery is superior to the iPhone and the camera is decent. I'd go for the iPhone if you can afford it, but the 5800 is a decent alternative if you want something else. If you want a phone with good software then look at the Google Android phones.

Can we make this thread, into a rest of the smart phones versus the iPhone mods or Ste? Everywhere ive read, the iPhone has been getting okay reviews. The 5800 according to somebody, said they sold over 2.5 million in the 1st 2 months.

Im very tempted to go for the 5800 purely because, the price is reasonable. I can get it on 24 month contract at 13 pounds a month. Or the N97 at about 30 pounds a month.

Can we make this thread, into a rest of the smart phones versus the iPhone mods or Ste? Everywhere ive read, the iPhone has been getting okay reviews. The 5800 according to somebody, said they sold over 2.5 million in the 1st 2 months.

Im very tempted to go for the 5800 purely because, the price is reasonable. I can get it on 24 month contract at 13 pounds a month. Or the N97 at about 30 pounds a month.

5800 is perfectly sound phone. Quite simply its to the i-phone what a good Mp3 player is to the i-pod.

Does the job but doesn't have the fashion stamp (or the price).

Thats what ive been reading as well on the 5800. Ive also checked and there are far more 3rd party applications available compared to the iPhone.

Can anybody confirm if the new iphone can play divx movies? Or do you have to convert. The Samsung S8300 plays divx, which is great. Sony Ericsson X1 supports that format as well. Difficult choice for me, as another option might be Omnia HD

I have the Nokia N85 and it does the job. Paid £200 on ebay, I don't do contracts.

I'm after a new mp3 player I have an iPod nano 4gb and need something with more memory, the iPod touch 16gb is what I'm looking at buying.

I was wondering if you can get the same apps on the iPod touch as you can on the iPhone?

Does anyone know of any good websites to buy these from.

Pick up this months T3 Iceman. Got a review of a lot of the smart phones. I know you considered the N97 at one stage. Only came off with 3 out of 5 on T3. The spec is smashed by the Iphone. I had heard that the N97 screen had a better resolution but it hasn't. The Iphone has the better screen, the faster processor, and more RAM.

Cant believe you didnt like it when you tried it.

Pick up this months T3 Iceman. Got a review of a lot of the smart phones. I know you considered the N97 at one stage. Only came off with 3 out of 5 on T3. The spec is smashed by the Iphone. I had heard that the N97 screen had a better resolution but it hasn't. The Iphone has the better screen, the faster processor, and more RAM.

Cant believe you didnt like it when you tried it.

The one reason i didnt like the iPhone was that it has a very unstable processor. The other reason was that its locked to one network and its very expensive, which im not to happy about. Many people are raving about the iPhone, because of the UI but the Sony Ericsson Xperia has imo a very strong UI as well. My main reason for wanting the N97 is because, it has a slide out Qwerty keyboard, as compared to a so called virtual one on the iPhone and 5800. Ricky how did the 5800 do on T3?

Some people choose to dislike the iPhone for effect.

It is sometimes perceived to be cool to be against the best. Partly why I dislike Man Utd :)

The iPhone has a small percentage of the market, and im convinced it will remain that way for quite some time. Unless the iPhone pricing gets reduced, the majority of people will still go with Nokia, SE etc

I was wondering if you can get the same apps on the iPod touch as you can on the iPhone?

Does anyone know of any good websites to buy these from.

The iPod touch is basically an iPhone without the option to call or text anyone. So yes, you can get the same apps on the touch as the iPhone.

You buy apps from the appstore.

Didnt the drop the price of the 3G phone in the US and other countries to just $99? Im sure it will take more and more of the market as time goes on.

Icers - the iPhone can be jailbroken so that it can used on any other network, just like all phones.

I've checked out which.co.uk and in their opinion the 5800 is the best phone they've reviewed. On Revoo it also scored 8.5/10 - the highest of any phone. To dismiss it as 'rubbish' simply because you have an iphone, as some on here have, is not objective. It can also be used with other networks, unlike the iphone where you're tied to 02 in the UK.

Having said all this, I don't know anyone who has one and I have a friend who has an iphone who swears by it, though again because of the deals you get through 02 is is rather expensive and she often runs out of free texts.

Thats actually not true. I have both an iPhone and an iTouch and some apps cannot be used/installed on the touch.

What's different, what apps cannot be used/installed? Is it just the ones relating to phone calls?

I was also wondering what size are the apps in mb?

I've checked out which.co.uk and in their opinion the 5800 is the best phone they've reviewed. On Revoo it also scored 8.5/10 - the highest of any phone. To dismiss it as 'rubbish' simply because you have an iphone, as some on here have, is not objective. It can also be used with other networks, unlike the iphone where you're tied to 02 in the UK.

Having said all this, I don't know anyone who has one and I have a friend who has an iphone who swears by it, though again because of the deals you get through 02 is is rather expensive and she often runs out of free texts.

I wasn't being objective because I own an iPhone. I think that would be impossible.

Mobile Phone reviews

They said not as polished as the iPhone but in many ways it is better.

Pretty similar then.

Archived