SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Gerrard Cleared Of Affray

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Disgusting

Gerrard Cleared

I cannot believe that a bloke admits to hitting someone 1st, all his 5 mates admit to the charge, yet the guy caught on CCTV hitting someone several times gets away with it.

How much of the story did you read...

"Judge Henry Globe told Gerrard: "The verdict is a credible verdict on the full facts of this case, and you walk away from this court with your reputation intact."

Correct me if i'm wrong but you didn't witness the incident (apart from grainy CCTV), you weren't present to hear the full facts of the case in Court, and yet you know more than the 12 jurors and experienced Crown Court Judge? Your time is wasted on this site Hughesy, you should be running the country!

Typical footballer with their expensive lawyers, its a joke.

Jamie - Gerrard admitted to punching the guy, he admitted the guy didnt touch him, he also admitted he got it wrong because he thought the guy came towards him, which he didnt and Gerrard now admits. He also admits he is sorry for it all.

You just keep sticking your head in the clouds though...

How much of the story did you read...

"Judge Henry Globe told Gerrard: "The verdict is a credible verdict on the full facts of this case, and you walk away from this court with your reputation intact."

Correct me if i'm wrong but you didn't witness the incident (apart from grainy CCTV), you weren't present to hear the full facts of the case in Court, and yet you know more than the 12 jurors and experienced Crown Court Judge? Your time is wasted on this site Hughesy, you should be running the country!

he admitted in court he was 7/10 drunk, he admitted throwing 3 punches ... doesn't seem like he was provoked either.

I'm no lawyer (don't even know what affray is), but I think he can count himself fortunate.

Typical footballer with their expensive lawyers, its a joke.

Jamie - Gerrard admitted to punching the guy, he admitted the guy didnt touch him, he also admitted he got it wrong because he thought the guy came towards him, which he didnt and Gerrard now admits. He also admits he is sorry for it all.

You just keep sticking your head in the clouds though...

How did the Jurors and Judge miss it eh? I guess they must all be paid-off or hypnotized by Gerrard's QC?

Basically because he didnt start it, and neither did the guy that got beat up, he got off. Doesnt hide the FACT that he hit the guy at least 3 times, without the guy fighting back.

A jury at Liverpool Crown Court agreed with Mr Gerrard's assertion that he was acting in self-defence.

"You did not start the violence, it was started by the violent elbowing of Marcus McGee in the face by one of your friends John Doran," he added.

If the roles were reversed I wonder what the other guy would have got for hitting Gerrard.

:rolleyes:

Well considering that we know nothing of any bad character applications, or his previous convictions in general, or whether Gerrard was actually in fear of an immediate attack, when reasonable self-defence is lawful, it's hard to say.

I don't know why we have a legal system with Jurors, Lawyers and Judges... people from message boards can read the law better than anyone!

Actually very relieved at this verdict.

I was just waiting for the "Justice for Stevie G" campaign, regular minutes of silence, black armbands and various pressure groups appearing on Granada News, angrily waving petitions.

I was just waiting for the "Justice for Stevie G" campaign, regular minutes of silence, black armbands and various pressure groups appearing on Granada News, angrily waving petitions.

Hahahaha now this I do agree with! :lol:

How did the Jurors and Judge miss it eh? I guess they must all be paid-off or hypnotized by Gerrard's QC?

A very expensive legal team can work wonders.

I'm not saying the judge and jurors were paid off mind - it's just amazing what you can get people to believe with the right the right lawyers behind you.

Whatever the verdict, I personally agree with the prosecution - this was never self defence in a 100 years, never.

...........complete with laid football shirt and flowers... :lol:

A very expensive legal team can work wonders.

I'm not saying the judge and jurors were paid off mind - it's just amazing what you can get people to believe with the right the right lawyers behind you.

Whatever the verdict, I personally agree with the prosecution - this was never self defence in a 100 years, never.

It just annoys me that people who were not present in court for even 1 minute of the case can claim a verdict was unjust. The Judge stated it was a fair verdict on the full facts of the case. The Judge knows the law. None of us know exactly what went on, but given the whole evidence from either side, the 12 jurors have deemed him not guilty and the Judge commented that it was fair. What more can Gerrard do for people to accept it? Come round and paint all your fences?

LOLable stuff. But in reality, he should have got something. I hate how 'celebs' get off serious charges all the time. Having said that, I don't know all the facts. I only know what the edited reports say. But as far as I'm concerned, 3 punches by Gerrard is equal to a kick to the head by Barton. It is unprovoked assault and some form of punishment should have been given in my opinion.

It just annoys me that people who were not present in court for even 1 minute of the case can claim a verdict was unjust. The Judge stated it was a fair verdict on the full facts of the case. The Judge knows the law. None of us know exactly what went on, but given the whole evidence from either side, the 12 jurors have deemed him not guilty and the Judge commented that it was fair. What more can Gerrard do for people to accept it? Come round and paint all your fences?

I understand what you're saying but you don't need to be in the court to know what's happened. A high profile case gets reported in the papers/TV at every opportunity for the public to have a good idea what was said or to know what happened.

Jamie have you just arrived back from Liverpool Crown Court?

Whilst we all must respect the verdict and can agree that it is a credible verdict based upon the legal system we adopt, we are still able to voice our concerns. We can read the court extracts, view the evidence made public and listen to the defense, but then just like the jurors, we too are permitted our own thoughts and opinions. These opinions count for nothing as compared to the twelve jurors from Liverpool, but sometimes overwhelming public opinions can sometimes be compelling.

I understand what you're saying but you don't need to be in the court to know what's happened. A high profile case gets reported in the papers/TV at every opportunity for the public to have a good idea what was said or to know what happened.

Whenever a matter of law is discussed the public gallery and reporters must leave Court. I accept you can have a reasonable view of the evidence from reporting, but personally I heard very little of the full facts of the case to say that the 12 jurors have got it completely wrong and the Judge has made a fool of himself by agreeing with the verdict.

I'm starting to sound like Gerrard's number one fan and i'm really not, but if someone is accused of something and is found not guilty by a jury of his peers then surely people accept that. Or perhaps we should have just put him in some stocks and stoned him like the good old days?

As for buying justice, why didnt Joey Barton think of that? Or any of the other rich/famous/celebrities who have been sent down over the years?

I accept on the facts of the case that it didn't look good, but we have these laws for a reason, and if any of you were charged with an offence that you didn't commit then you too would expect your lawyers to fight for you and your name to be cleared when you were acquitted.

Self defence isn't throwing 3 hard punches IMO, especially when it's you and your mates who've gone to cause trouble in the first place. Self defence is moving out of the way or covering your face.

Things went conveniently here for "ar Stevie": the jury simply believed his story that he thought the bloke was coming towards to attack him. It was all just a completely innocent mistake. Forget that given his skill and competence on a football field he seems to know what exactly happening around him - the jury believed he clearly didn't have any of that when he mistaken thought the bloke was "coming towards him". They thought he was sober enough to not be out of control mind, but presumably drunk enough to completely miss his mate sticking a hard elbow on the bloke.

It just doesn't add up to me and it certainly doesn't look like self defence - and it doesn't matter who it is, I'd always think this was just out and out assault.

It's also weird that all his mates admitted affray but he alone was completely innocent.

As I said before it's amazing what an extremely expensive legal team can get you.

Jamie have you just arrived back from Liverpool Crown Court?

Whilst we all must respect the verdict and can agree that it is a credible verdict based upon the legal system we adopt, we are still able to voice our concerns. We can read the court extracts, view the evidence made public and listen to the defense, but then just like the jurors, we too are permitted our own thoughts and opinions. These opinions count for nothing as compared to the twelve jurors from Liverpool, but sometimes overwhelming public opinions can sometimes be compelling.

That's true... my whole reaction is posting to this thread was that the member who posted the link commented it was "disgusting", although the Crown Court Judge who heard all the evidence and legal arguments thought it was a fair verdict.

Of course people are entitled to their own opinions, and i've given mine so i'll leave it now.

Self defence isn't throwing 3 hard punches IMO, especially when it's you and your mates who've gone to cause trouble in the first place. Self defence is moving out of the way or covering your face.

Things went conveniently here for "ar Stevie": the jury simply believed his story that he thought the bloke was coming towards to attack him. It was all just a completely innocent mistake. Forget that given his skill and competence on a football field he seems to know what exactly happening around him - the jury believed he clearly didn't have any of that when he mistaken thought the bloke was "coming towards him". They thought he was sober enough to not be out of control mind, but presumably drunk enough to completely miss his mate sticking a hard elbow on the bloke.

It just doesn't add up to me and it certainly doesn't look like self defence - and it doesn't matter who it is, I'd always think this was just out and out assault.

It's also weird that all his mates admitted affray but he alone was completely innocent.

As I said before it's amazing what an extremely expensive legal team can get you.

Shades of Amy Winehouse then eh? Expect a civil case and a big payout from the CCF. Least he could do is cough up to fix the guys teeth.

Archived