BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Relegation Watch 2009-10 Season

Wigan have got a quality manager and money. It depends who they buy but I think they will be okay.

I think Sam is a good manager but everyone seems to be making progress as clubs. Even Pompey seem to be stabalising and Hull are active in the transfer market. Another hard year coming up.

I dunno mate, I think we're very lucky that Pompey, Wigan and Hull - the first two established Premier League clubs - look to be in dire straights at the moment.

Martinez has brought in precious little quality to replace those who have moved on. Furthermore, he is completely unproven in the Premier League. I don't rate the squad at all and think they'll both ship goals at the back, while failing to score many going forward. Martinez could prove a revelation but, all things considered, I reckon a relegation scrap is far more likely.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am usually a pretty pessimistic Rovers fan, but I actually don't envisage any problems for us this season. I actually expect a top half finish. BS knows how to get results and I am confident a new striker will be brought in.

One of the main reasons for this optimism is that I see the Premiership as being one of the weakest since its inception.

I live in Beijing and watched the first round of the Asia Trophy the other day, in which Spurs, West Ham and Hull are playing. Hull were truly dire and West Ham were not much better. I spoke to loads of Hull fans after the game and they are all resigned to going down. Most predicted they would finish rock bottom.

Added to this, Wigan will struggle following the departures of Palacios, Valencia, Zaki and Heskey from their starting line-up from the same time last year. Lee Cattermole and, yes, Titus Bramble, are their remaining rays of light and I can't see Cattermole staying either; and wouldn't be surprised if Bramble left. Bruce is a very good manager and without him I don't see them having much of a shout.

Everyone seems to agree that Pompey are going to struggle as well. No money, losing players left, right and centre; and they really struggled at the tail-end of last season as well.

I can't see Rovers finishing below any of the three above and those don't even include the three promoted teams, all of which will struggle in the Premiership. I think Wolves have the best chance of the three, but think Brum and, especially, Burnley, will be delighted if they manage to stave off relegation.

To this mix, I would like to add my one surprise element, West Ham. They did very well in the second half of last season under Zola, but I really don't see them carrying on that form into the new season. They don't have much money, will probably lose Upson and could struggle if results go against them as I can't see Zola being able to play the type of football needed to grind out results if things go awry. Also, they were diabolical against Spurs in the Asia Trophy in Beijing and quite a number of their fans are a tad pessimistic about their chances next year, although none predicted relegation.

I think Stoke and Bolton will be safe again, but can't see them doing amazingly. I also think Fulham will struggle to replicate last season's form, especially if Hangeland goes as expected.

So, if Sam finds a good striker and players stay fit, then I can't see any reason why we shouldn't be expecting to finish ahead of all the ten teams I have listed above. That would put us in 10th position which is very respectable. Although Sunderland will undoubtedly improve, they are another team who we should be aiming to finish above. Then if two of Everton, Villa, Spurs or City have a truly disappointing season, we could be pushing for Europe. I think it's doubtful that we will finish in a European place, but a top half finish is certainly not beyond us. Indeed, we should be disappointed if we don't finish in the top half.

So, I think there is reason to be optimistic because of the poor quality of the opposition in the Premiership this season.

Hull, Wigan and Portsmouth to go down, all three promoted teams to narrowly avoid the drop and Rovers to finish ninth.

:lol: with the signings we have made so far this year,i see another year of struggling,lets hope there are 3 worse teams than us.i can see 8 teams struggling,

hull

pompey

rovers

wolves

scumley

brum

bolton

sunderland

stoke

i'd be very happy if we bought a bloody good midfielder into the squad,reid and dunn are both crocks :P

It definitely won't be :

Man U, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea.

It is highly unlikely to be :

Everton, Spurs, Villa

It is less likely to be :

Rovers, Bolton, Wigan, West Ham

Probably from the rest with my favourites being Burnley (sorry but not strong enough), Portsmouth (unless they get some real quality in) and a choice between Hull and Wolves.

I think Burnley may arrive at Ewood without a point to their name after the tough start and will leave the same way. :D

Things look a little different after 10, which is where most agree the table will be sorting itself out.

Of course we will have two of our harder games up next. Hopefully we will have around 15 points at this stage. :D

Fix10.jpg

:( These tables bring the nightmares of last season back into focus. The strenuous analysing of every fixture and every point. Please don't do it to us again this season Rovers :(

Fix10.jpg

Some of Hull's first ten games are massive, especially the ones against Brum, Pompey and Wigan at home and Wolves away. As for the Latics themselves, their first ten games are really tricky - playing three of the big four as well as Man City, Villa and Everton. I am pretty confident in saying Burnley will have at least a point or three by the time they play us, but some of their fixtures really are really tricky. Birmingham should take some points from their home games, whilst Stoke have a difficult start with fixtures against Chelsea and Man Utd at home and Liverpool, Spurs and Everton away. Bolton's fixtures aren't too bad whilst Wolves have some decent home games.

As for ourselves, I don't think we will be particularly high up the league after our first ten games (11 if you count Man Utd), but we should still have gathered a decent return of points from our home games.

I put this is the Relegation thread because surely, comments like this from their manager means one thing....relegation!!!

Portsmouth boss Paul Hart has welcomed the Bosman signing of former Blackburn Rovers midfielder Aaron Mokoena.

Hart also confirmed a deal for Steve Finnan and told the club's official website: "It whetted my appetite to think that we could get a player of Steve's calibre here. He's really looking forward to coming here and we're looking forward to seeing him play.

"Aaron's a strong player who bites in the tackle and he's the sort of character we're going to need in the coming months.

"I watched him play for South Africa in the Confederations Cup over the summer and he did great.

"He can play in defence or in midfield but I mostly see him as a midfielder. We've done extremely well to get him here. I'm really pleased that he's joined.

"Both Steve and Aaron have got plenty of experience and they're both very good players."

I put this is the Relegation thread because surely, comments like this from their manager means one thing....relegation!!!

Portsmouth boss Paul Hart has welcomed the Bosman signing of former Blackburn Rovers midfielder Aaron Mokoena.

Hart also confirmed a deal for Steve Finnan and told the club's official website: "It whetted my appetite to think that we could get a player of Steve's calibre here. He's really looking forward to coming here and we're looking forward to seeing him play.

"Aaron's a strong player who bites in the tackle and he's the sort of character we're going to need in the coming months.

"I watched him play for South Africa in the Confederations Cup over the summer and he did great.

"He can play in defence or in midfield but I mostly see him as a midfielder. We've done extremely well to get him here. I'm really pleased that he's joined.

"Both Steve and Aaron have got plenty of experience and they're both very good players."

he's the sort of character we're going to need in the coming months - This comment says it all.

Pompey are done for, they don't stand a chance. Hull likewise. Oh and of course the Dingles will join them in the Championship next year. I reckon there could be quite a big gap between the bottom 3 and 17th place this season. I don't expect it to go down to the last game. I guess Wigan will be pretty low in the table

On the bright side Rovers don't have anything to worry about.

Barclays Asia Trophy Final Result:

Hull City 0-3 Tottenham

I watched Tottenham win the Asia Trophy this afternoon after a conivincing 3-0 victory over Hull City. Spurs dominated the first half and Hull were fortuitous to be only one goal down at half time, with Warner making good saves to deny Defoe and Lennon after Keane had given Spurs the lead. The introduction of Geovanni in the second half had instant effect, as Hull looked much brighter and positive going forward with Gomes making excellent saves from Zayette and Kilbane. Against the run of play it was 2-0 to Tottenham, Warner bringing down Defoe with Keane converting from the spot. Lennon sealed the victory and the trophy for Spurs with a third two minutes from time.

Overall, Hull were outclassed by Spurs and really struggled to create clear goalscoring opportunities which resulted in shots from distance being their only means of attack. Defensively, Dawson was solid for the majority of the game and did really well against Lennon, resulting in him switching to the opposite flank. However, the two centre halves both lack pace and were caught out on several occasions by long balls and also the pace of Defoe. Geovanni is without doubt their best player and a very good one at that, but lack of quality in central defence, central midfield and upfront could/will be their downfall this up and coming season. Unless they strengthen, Hull are heading to the Championship.

I was at the Spurs v Hull game. Hull are diabolical. In the first match on Wednesday they narrowly beat Beijing Guo'an on penalties after Beijing had dominated the game. And Beijing Guo'an are truly awful. My local bar has served as the bar all the travelling Hull fans are frequenting. They all know they are going down.

At least one of the promoted three will drop. Wigan have money and time to do deals that will see themselves safe.

I agree. I really can't see all three promoted sides staying up as not only do I believe they aren't all good enough, but only once has it happened before (2001-02 - Rovers, Fulham and Bolton).

Archived