BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Relegation Watch 2009-10 Season

Barclays Asia Trophy Final Result:

Hull City 0-3 Tottenham

I watched Tottenham win the Asia Trophy this afternoon after a conivincing 3-0 victory over Hull City. Spurs dominated the first half and Hull were fortuitous to be only one goal down at half time, with Warner making good saves to deny Defoe and Lennon after Keane had given Spurs the lead. The introduction of Geovanni in the second half had instant effect, as Hull looked much brighter and positive going forward with Gomes making excellent saves from Zayette and Kilbane. Against the run of play it was 2-0 to Tottenham, Warner bringing down Defoe with Keane converting from the spot. Lennon sealed the victory and the trophy for Spurs with a third two minutes from time.

Overall, Hull were outclassed by Spurs and really struggled to create clear goalscoring opportunities which resulted in shots from distance being their only means of attack. Defensively, Dawson was solid for the majority of the game and did really well against Lennon, resulting in him switching to the opposite flank. However, the two centre halves both lack pace and were caught out on several occasions by long balls and also the pace of Defoe. Geovanni is without doubt their best player and a very good one at that, but lack of quality in central defence, central midfield and upfront could/will be their downfall this up and coming season. Unless they strengthen, Hull are heading to the Championship.

Other than Dawson, Cousin, Boateng & Marney the rest was reserve/squad players so hardly a fair assessment on the team for the coming season. There was even Featherstone in the starting line-up along with Cairney who has never played a competitve game for Hull City and is only 18 as well as Mouyokolo playing at centre-back for his first ever game against premiership opposition and Warner in as 3rd choice keeper.

Far from the team which will be competing in the Prem.

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of the newly promoted teams, I'd say Birmingham probably have the best chance to staying up. Burnley look the weakest, but have a good up-and-coming manager, while Wolves, despite having a decent enough squad, have a manager who seems adept at getting teams relegated from the Premier League.

I can see relegation being fought primarily between Hull, Portsmouth, Burnley, Wigan and Wolves, with Birmingham, Bolton and ourselves flirting the drop zone.

As it stands, Hull, Portsmouth and Burnley to go down, Wigan staying up by the skin of their teeth and Wolves being involved until the very end. A lot will change, however, if Pompey manage to bring some new faces in quickly.

Other than Dawson, Cousin, Boateng & Marney the rest was reserve/squad players so hardly a fair assessment on the team for the coming season. There was even Featherstone in the starting line-up along with Cairney who has never played a competitve game for Hull City and is only 18 as well as Mouyokolo playing at centre-back for his first ever game against premiership opposition and Warner in as 3rd choice keeper.

Far from the team which will be competing in the Prem.

Zayatte played regularly last season and he played the whole 90 minutes, Geovanni played all the second half and Kilbane, Barmby, Mendy and Folan also featured - all played a part last season. Although as you said, Hull did play a number of reserve players hence you can't make a fair assessment on how their going to do this season, as most the regulars I mentioned above did not feature for that long (about 10-30 minutes).

If everything we read in the papers is true Portsmouth should be finished before a ball is kicked in anger, all of which may galvanise their very limited squad into an "us against the world attitude" and save them. On paper I agree they look the most likely for the drop. Hull seem to have very little going for them after an appalling second half to the season and I suspect Wolves will take the third relegation spot.

As for Rovers? We will spend time in the bottom three without a doubt, which will have people panicing for weeks at a time, but it will boil down to one thing. Will there be three worse teams than us? Which isn't a great way to stay up. We still lack any sort of creativity or strike force meaning it's difficult to see how we will create chances, score goals or entertain folk. I think we'll spend most of the season in the bottom third finishing 15th / 16th. Look at last year's league table, knock off the three relegated clubs, drop Pompey and Hull into the bottom two spots and ask yourself this "Other than the promoted clubs which established PL club has a poorer squad". It's scary and I'm very worried about our ability to survive.

Stoke have money and been keeping their powder dry- do not be surprised if they pull off some coups in the last days of August when everything gets desperate and frenetic. The money is coming from the betting mogul so presumably he knows how to operate in a market.

Surprise strugglers suggestions:

Everton- Lescott out, Senderos in????? Need I say more. Europa League getting in the way and how often have English clubs sparkled one season and bombed embarassingly in the UEFA the next as their domestic form disintegrates as well?

Fulham- have cash but missed out on all their next level signings (including Keith Andrews). If Hangeland goes at the wrong moment, could be in a spot of bother. Ditto Everton re Europa Cup.

Villa- MoN to dither until 2 September? I always view how a team ends the previous season as a guide to the next. In Villa's case that spells relegation. Ditto Everton re Europa Cup.

The three Europa Club sides will be collecting games in hand because of their Europa involvement which will automatically put them at a psychological disadvantage with points not on the board.

The only way Rovers will struggle is if they make a hash of the first five games (no Fulham fixture remember) then get tanked, predictably, in three out of four October fixtures. Other than that risk, we are naturally a top ten club.

The only way Rovers will struggle is if they make a hash of the first five games (no Fulham fixture remember) then get tanked, predictably, in three out of four October fixtures. Other than that risk, we are naturally a top ten club.

City - very difficult to predict - DRAW

Sunderland - LOSE

WHU - only managed a draw last time - WIN

Wolves - WIN

Everton - LOSE

Arsenal - LOSE

Burnley - WIN

Man Utd - LOSE

Chelsea- LOSE

On that theory we could have 10 points from 9 games at the end of October, not that far off last season when we had 12 from 10! I'm not at all sure things look good for us in the first couple of months of the coming season.

........and definitely wont be once we sign 2 strikers at least.

There's no sign of us signing two strikers though.

Sunderland - LOSE

Wolves - WIN

Everton - LOSE

Arsenal - LOSE

Burnley - WIN

Man Utd - LOSE

Chelsea- LOSE

On that theory we could have 10 points from 9 games at the end of October, not that far off last season when we had 12 from 10! I'm not at all sure things look good for us in the first couple of months of the coming season.

Kalinic and Di Santo. Both look almost sealed.

Bang, top 10.

Last season we were 10th/11th place form for the 21 games when Sam was in charge. Since then we havent weakened that side (RSC barely played a part) and have/will be strengthening it in some key areas. We should aim for top 10 definitely.

Dave Kidd - People journo - has us down for next season's 'surprise package':

They will be ugly and uncompromising - but they will challenge for a Europa League place under Sam Allardyce, whose teams always punch above their weight.

Sunderland - LOSE

Wolves - WIN

Everton - LOSE

Arsenal - LOSE

Burnley - WIN

Man Utd - LOSE

Chelsea- LOSE

You really think Sunderland will beat us? I think we get them at a good time of the season, before their new signings get (if they ever get any!) to gel. Everton is about 50/50 considering our recent record against them.

Sunderland - LOSE I THINK WIN

Wolves - WIN

Everton - LOSE I'D BET DRAW OR WIN

Arsenal - LOSE POSSIBLE DRAW

Burnley - WIN

Man Utd - LOSE

Chelsea- LOSE

I may be overly optimistic, but I think we're looking at 6-8 more points than you are estimating. All in all, it looks like a 50+ point season to me.

You really think Sunderland will beat us? I think we get them at a good time of the season, before their new signings get (if they ever get any!) to gel. Everton is about 50/50 considering our recent record against them.

Both Sunderland games were draws last season with little between the sides. I'd say they have a few things which will swing this in their favour, new manager, Bolton away and Chelsea home, both of which they could lose. I can see them being all fired up looking for the first win of the new season. On the other hand we won't have had a mid-week game. Draw would be good but I expect a loss. Everton is 50/50 IF we stop them scoring first. In recent seasons Everton have been extraordinarily difficult to beat once they have gone ahead - boring and tedious but difficult.

Sunderland - LOSE

Wolves - WIN

Everton - LOSE

Arsenal - LOSE

Burnley - WIN

Man Utd - LOSE

Chelsea- LOSE

We have also got a home game against Aston Villa inbetween the Everton and Arsenal away games, so hopefully we may take an extra point or three.

Some Predictions from the People on who is going down.

Dave Kidd - He thinks Burnley will definately come bottom, with Portsmouth joining them and one of Hull or Birmingham also going down with them.

Tom Hopkinson - He gives indications that he thinks Wolves, Pompey and Hull will go down.

Scott Piecha - Burnley will go down and be joined with two of Wolves, Birmingham and Pompey.

James Powell - Burnley, Wolves and Hull.

As a Rovers fan it is very easy to place Burnley in the bottom 3 :P

Brum - I think they are going to really struggle. Spent some money but still have a lack of real quality.

Burnley - Young and inexperienced players and staff. No real quality firepower and no quality defence or midfield. Cant see them giving the form of last seasons cup runs.

Wigan - Without Bruce at the helm I think they are going to find it a struggle, especially with the loss of Valencia. If they lose Cattermole then its engine room has been destroyed.

Wolves - I think they are probably the best equipped of the 3 promoted sides and have some good signings although a little inexperienced.

Stoke - Second season syndrome may affect them but they will be reliable on the throw of Delap.

Pompy - With a wealthy arab at the helm they find themselves some £78m still in debt despite selling Johnson and Crouch. Have no real firepower now and couldnt compte with Rovers for the signing of Kalinic. In real danger with a 39 yr old dodgy keeper getting dodgier.

Hull - Have been linked with so many players yet none have signed. I wonder what all that is about ? Will really struggle.

The way I see it for the above mentioned teams is that the respective managers will be focusing on the above games and seeking to take the maximum points available because the reality is, there isnt a lot else going for them and anything else would be a bonus. The above 7 teams have their own little league inside the Premiership this season and that is all they have to fight for.

My surprise contender for a relegation spot would have to be Fulham, but only because of their participation in the Europa League. I would genuinely like them to be comfortable and would LOVE it if the big team to be involved in the drop was WHAM FC.

Stoke have money and been keeping their powder dry- do not be surprised if they pull off some coups in the last days of August when everything gets desperate and frenetic. The money is coming from the betting mogul so presumably he knows how to operate in a market.

Surprise strugglers suggestions:

Everton- Lescott out, Senderos in????? Need I say more. Europa League getting in the way and how often have English clubs sparkled one season and bombed embarassingly in the UEFA the next as their domestic form disintegrates as well?

Fulham- have cash but missed out on all their next level signings (including Keith Andrews). If Hangeland goes at the wrong moment, could be in a spot of bother. Ditto Everton re Europa Cup.

Villa- MoN to dither until 2 September? I always view how a team ends the previous season as a guide to the next. In Villa's case that spells relegation. Ditto Everton re Europa Cup.

I think anything could happen. I would expect City to be 5th with serious defenders coming in.

Villa losing Barry and Laursen is like us losing Shearer and Hendry. Whilst the rest are decent those two made the team. Even with Barry they slumped at the end without Laursen.

West Ham are losing players. Zola may be wily but you can't use your Giro at Harrods. I don't think Zola's budget would cover a Ryan Air flight to Dublin. With Upson paying of the creditors, Ashton featuring more in the Lancet than Sun Sport it will be anything but happy hammers.

Fulham. You just need to check the goals scored scored column and minus Hangerland to see that Fulham may be in dickies meadow. £2m for Keith Andrews shows how they are struggling and are in effect a selling club.

Everton are solid. The kids getting better. Lescott whilst important played full back a lot. Spurs looked ordinary against Hull last weekend. Pile-ios and Jenas are weak and ineffective but 'barrow boy' thinks they can do the business. And with a mis firing Keane partnering a ballet dancer from Russia, backed up by their top player and Casualty star who can only play on Tuesday's I am not sure they will improve past mid table.

Come on Rovers.. we can have this lot....

Pompey need some players rapid, Kalinic will have really hurt them, sort of a bonus ball for us.

There squad is down to the bare bones just 20 first team players with 3 being GK they are.

GK James Ashdown Begovic

DF Primus, Kaboul, Hriedersson, Distan Cranie Wilson Belhadj

MF Axe Mullins Diop Kranjcar Mvuemba Hughes Basinas

ST Nugent Utaka Kanu

Time is running out by the dat still no money through the door from there sugar daddy, Transfer money in seems to keeping bread on the table at there bank.

Serious problems in the striking role, barely enough players to name a match day squad.

A couple on injuries and they are down to reserve and youth team players.

A very large present or two from Santa will be needed.

My favorites for the drop with Hull.

Hull didn´t get Beye whom they really would have needed. Only miracle keep Hull in PL next season. Pompey has an awful squad too. If they don´t buy heavily there´s a relegated number two. Stoke had a good first season in PL but Reading had even better and they went down. Also Wigan and all the three promoted clubs are in danger and Sunderland will always be under us. There´s no way Blackburn Rovers will have to fight against relegation.

• Backroom
Guardian predicts we will finish 12th:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/20...lackburn-rovers

Rubbish title on the article:

"There's only so long Rovers supporters would tolerate being a poor man's Stoke, no matter how little Ewood Park tickets cost"

Utterly awful article, it amazes me to see people get paid for this.

£12million for Kalinic, lazy lazy lazy journalism, that fee includes his wages for the duartion of the contract.

It seems as though Hull have lost out on yet another potential signing, with Beye going to Villa.

Beye to Villa

Time really is running out for Phil Brown. I can't see past Pompey and Hull for relegation at the moment.

Agree utterly. The promoted clubs have momentum from last season if nothing else (and all of them have little else) but that seems more than Hull and Pompey have at the moment.

Portsmouth have also got Niemi (sp) out of retirement. Strange one that, unless they're going to shift another gk to bring in much needed money. I'd say goal keeper's the least of their issues.

I think the young Portsmouth goalkeeper Asmir Begovic is set to go on loan to get some experience, so Portsmouth would only have David James and Jamie Ashdown in the squad. Niemi probably wouldn't have come out of retirement if David Coles wasn't the Portsmouth goalkeeping coach. Coles and Niemi had a great friendship at Southampton and when Coles was released by Saints, it was one of the main reasons Niemi left to join Fulham.

Archived