BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Reserves

The Reserves proved a complete contrast to the first team. We were totally outplayed for long peroids tonight and yet ended up winning. Strange game football.

In fairness, we had a very young team out tonight with the likes of Marrow, Blackman, Gunning Treacy and Judge all out on loan. I felt both Lowe and Morrissey struggled in midfield tonight which is unusual as both are talented young players. However, it was a decent Liverpool outfit that they were up against.

A major disappointment was the performance of Rigters in attack. I can only assume that we don't have the money to pay up his contract as I really can't see what future there is for him at Ewood. I believe that his contract isn't up until the end of next season! Young Santa Cruz is another player for whom it is difficult to see much future at the club while Andy Haworth is now well down the pecking order.

On the plus side it was good to see Doran looking sharp again. He has had a poor pre-season but seemed much better tonight. I thought young Marshall got through alot of work down the flanks while Phil Jones was steady at the back.

With so many players being loaned out, some of our younger players are having to be fast tracked in the Reserves which ultimately, may well turn out to be a good thing.

PB - how did you assess Salgado. Some on here think he looked quick, some thought he looked slow. It's difficult to judge pace on a TV.

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply
PB - how did you assess Salgado. Some on here think he looked quick, some thought he looked slow. It's difficult to judge pace on a TV.

Difficult to judge really. I thought he got better as the game went on but it was difficult to assess him as he was playing in a side full of young kids against a pretty decent Liverpool side. On the evidence of last night I would have thought that Sam would like to introduce him slowly. The problem is that reserve games are few and far between and not really a preparation for the Premier League. I suspect that a number of behind closed doors games will be arranged to try to get him up to the pace of things. On the evidence of last night I would not expect to see him in the starting line-up on Saturday. But then again, as he was taken off at half-time you suspect he will be asked to play a role of some sort at the weekend - a likely candidate for the bench I would have thought.

Doran seemed to be playing just off Rigters, I guess a 4-2-3-1

Fielding

O'Connor Jones Flynn Salgado

(Morris)

Morrissey Lowe

Marshall Doran Haworth

Santa Cruz)

Rigters

Interesting that Doran is being used centrally after being a winger up till now. I think it's good for players to get to grips with different positions. Theoretically, it should improve them, if they have a concerted spell in a new position and are given time to adapt.

I think Marrow benefited enormously from playing right back for the ressies and first team friendly teams. Now that he's back playing CM for Oldham, he is doing very well. No doubt Gunning's experience playing LB has helped him improve his passing for the CB spot.

Edit: Surely some of the U18 strikers - Hitchcock? - must fancy there chances of usurping JSC and Maceo for the ressie forward berths?

Incidentally, you say Morries, a winger, had to come on a play left back when Salgado went off... Don't we have a left back for the reserves this season then? Unless, of course, Olsson drops down.

Difficult to judge really. I thought he got better as the game went on but it was difficult to assess him as he was playing in a side full of young kids against a pretty decent Liverpool side. On the evidence of last night I would have thought that Sam would like to introduce him slowly. The problem is that reserve games are few and far between and not really a preparation for the Premier League. I suspect that a number of behind closed doors games will be arranged to try to get him up to the pace of things. On the evidence of last night I would not expect to see him in the starting line-up on Saturday. But then again, as he was taken off at half-time you suspect he will be asked to play a role of some sort at the weekend - a likely candidate for the bench I would have thought.

Thanks PB.

I've always found it pretty impossible to judge players when playing reserve team games. Trying to decide which of the kids have a chance of making it, by watching reserve games, is very difficult. I think the truth is, that even the coaches don't know whether a youngster can make the grade until they have actually appeared in the first team - and even then it's not always clear cut. Some lads are exceptional though and stand out so far [i.e. Duff] there's very little doubt.

The only way we'll know about Salgado is when he's turning out for the first team and I suspect he'll find it harder than even he thinks.

I assume you've not seen the U18's. We haven't had a decent striker at that level for a number of years.

The last was Jemal Johnson...? Garner and Barker were very prolific at U18 level. But, yeah, I can't think of any more. So do you think that any of the present U18 strikers can get past JSC or Rigters? From all reports, those two are just not showing anything. JSC seems a bit of a dud and Rigters, well, he must have some ability but has completely lost his way.

Thanks PB.

I've always found it pretty impossible to judge players when playing reserve team games. Trying to decide which of the kids have a chance of making it, by watching reserve games, is very difficult. I think the truth is, that even the coaches don't know whether a youngster can make the grade until they have actually appeared in the first team - and even then it's not always clear cut. Some lads are exceptional though and stand out so far [i.e. Duff] there's very little doubt.

The only way we'll know about Salgado is when he's turning out for the first team and I suspect he'll find it harder than even he thinks.

I think that's so true when you consider the example of Matt Derbyshire. I don't think anybody was predicting him to make the step up. He did win Young Player of the Season but he had, as far as I know, only scored 11/12 goals in the reserve league. He wasn't exactly dominating proceedings like Gallagher did.

Also, most of the less than frequent ressie matches happen in winter when conditions are torrid. Throw in the shifting team, lack of continuity and abundance of bad players on both sides, and even a decent player may struggle to shine.

impressed with andy haworth last night. strong, quick and could pick a decent pass and cross.

if last nights performance is an indicator of his abilities, it wont be long until he features in the 1st team squad.

:lol: What like last season?!

Went to the game and we were lucky, the keepers were the difference, scousers goalie was rank.

I wouldn't mind signing that Ecclestone, he looks like a young Howard Gayle, too good for our stiffs.

No doubt Rafa will prefer an unknown Spaniard to him.

I always found that those who played well in reserve team games were useless in the first team when given the chance. And those that played like puddings were a revelation when they stepped up. Strange!

I think there is a huge gulf between reserve and first team football.

Salgado looked good when on the ball and held the defence together well, played like a midfielder, The atteck was toothless until JSC came on and harried and chased. Rigters was a class apart, a bad class at that, how many blind alleys can you take a ball. Marshall and Haworth also could not beat their man but at least Haworth put the vital cross in for the wonning pen. Apart from that, good delivery and a good game.

I think there is a huge gulf between reserve and first team football.

I think the gulf is predominantly psychological between the best ressies and the average first teamer/squad player.

A typical reserve player promoted to the firsts starts off very nervous. Olsson may have talents that Gamst doesn't - but nerves may hinder him showing his true ability.

The problem is, if, as a young player, you are nervous in your first few games, you may never get another chance. This is why part of a manager's job is to help young players gain confidence - without jeopardising results. Hence, why loan spells and then the sub cameo is so crucial for young player development.

Thanks PB.

That's a bit worrying about Salgado, we've sunk a lot of wages and effort into his signing. I was expecting more of an immediate impact from him.

• 2 weeks later...
Emerton, Reid, Salgado, Hoilett, Di Santo and Kalinic all in the squad for tonights game v Bolton at Leigh.

Will take a trip down I think.

I think most of those will get a run out tonight. I believe Notlob ressies have improved over the last year, should be a good game.

Archived