SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nikola Kalinic

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i agree with the jansen comment

i was impressed with his debut

his finishing was woeful of course, but the guy can obviously finish given his record, so he'll put them in eventually. he just needs to keep getting in the right positions and it will come.

i'm excited

he'll put two past burnley

Having watched the highlights, Kalinic snatched at his shots and, as a result, was off balance. Given that he was obviously nervous, once he gets used to playing in the Premier League and is settled he'll score goals. He gets in the right places and showed some obvious skill yesterday.

Having watched the highlights, Kalinic snatched at his shots and, as a result, was off balance. Given that he was obviously nervous, once he gets used to playing in the Premier League and is settled he'll score goals. He gets in the right places and showed some obvious skill yesterday.

I agree. He is 21 years old, let's give him a chance...

Anyone remember Bergkamps first season at Arsenal, didnt score in 8 and was getting slated in the press, he turned out ok in the end.

Yes he did, but he came with a bit more pedigree than Klanic. ;)

Lets see how he gets on, as now Di Santo's injured he's going to be thrown straight in by the looks of it. Sam may have wanted to ease him in but that might not happen now.

His overall play was good, but his finishing was terrible. I actually think he had 5 chances to score yesterday, to not get close with one was poor. It's one game and you can't read too much into it. There were a lot of positives that can be taken from yesterday, hopefully as he gets fit

Exactly, Bergkamp came with lots of experience and a top pedigree and still struggled to adapt to the premier league

I see your point, but Klanic is nowhere near the level bergkamp was when he came to Arsenal and if he struggled how much harder is it for someone of a lesser level?

The boy got into the right places and did OK, but his shotting seems rash and uncomposed, as I said I'll wait and see. But I don't see strikers who hit 10+ in our league swinging at them as he did yesterday. If he can become more composed and with some work on his shooting technique then he could blossom.

While we're waiting for that to happen though who's going to score in the meantime?

Peple are being very harsh on the lad it was his debut and the chances he had, he had to take quickly they werent easy by any means.

If people want to point fingers maybe look at the "Golden boys" Samba and Nelsens defensive positioning on both goals.......Jones was on his own!

Hes not easy to miss hes massive!

Why are we comparing Kalinic to Bergkamp when Bergkamp was probably one of the most gifted footballers ever to play the game and would have walked into the majority of champions league teams.

We haven't signed a player as good as Bergkamp so I guess we shouldn't have bothered. I guess it's the same as N'Zonzi really, looks a good prospect but will never be as good as Zidane was so I don't see the point of buying him.

I think some people have got a bit carried away and are expecting too much from him at an early stage, just because we've signed the greatest player in the world in Michel Salgado doesn't mean that all of our signings have to be on the world class level.

, you'll see the likes of Berbatov, Kanu, Beckham, Hugo Sanchez, Gascoigne and many others all miss golden chances far easier than Kalinic had yesterday and they all seemed to do alright most of the time. Let's judge him over some time, not after one game that he was rushed into and probably not expecting to come on anywhere near as early as he did.

Sam himself said we wouldn't see the real Kalinic for the first 4-8 games of the season. He's had barely any pre season training or match practice.

Lorenzo Amoruso had a fantastic debut, Andre Ooijer had a 'mare. I know who I'd rather have in my team.

Apples and oranges and all that, but my point is that one game says nothing. Put it this way, if he can get himself into three good scoring opportunities per game, it doesn't matter if he only scores from even one in six. That's still 19 league goals over a whole season. 1/12 is still 9-10 goals. I think it's encouraging that he at least was in the right place. Time will tell if this game was representative of his ability to create chances for himself, and of his finishing ability.

Didn't like the way the clowns on MOTD had a special feature on Kalinic (bear in mind they rarely ever talk about Rovers let alone an individual Rovers player) which basically ridiculed him. A full recap of all the fluffed shot's he took completely falling to mention any of the following:

a.) it was only his first Premiership game

b.) he was thrown on unexpectedly after an early injury

c.) he's probably not fully match fit

d.) he's only young and was nervous about his first game

e.) any of his good moments during the game which people have mentioned

f.) that he got in good postions to have the chances in the first place

g.) some of the misses weren't that bad (see the Jason Roberts catalogue)

Instead a tag with 'six million pound striker' and a collection of clips for them to snigger in unison at. Yet last week they failed to mention the impressive debut performance of N'Zonzi but took special time to highlight the unfornate debut of Kalinic this week.

Only the brightside, like the 90s pop song goes things can only get better and like people have already said he got in the goal-scoring postions he just looked incredibly nervous. For one of the chances he knocked Roberts out of the way only to try attempt a weak header and a flying kick at the same time, then to round things off he deflected Benni's (think it was Benni) shot away from goal from the rebound. :lol:

Lorenzo Amoruso had a fantastic debut, Andre Ooijer had a 'mare. I know who I'd rather have in my team.

Amoruso for the entertainment value! Guy could rampage up front or blast a free-kick in, then go completely AWOL at the back. Nail-biting stuff!

Didn't like the way the clowns on MOTD had a special feature on Kalinic (bear in mind they rarely ever talk about Rovers let alone an individual Rovers player) which basically ridiculed him. A full recap of all the fluffed shot's he took completely falling to mention any of the following:

Instead a tag with 'six million pound striker' and a collection of clips for them to snigger in unison at. Yet last week they failed to mention the impressive debut performance of N'Zonzi but took special time to highlight the unfornate debut of Kalinic this week.

Only the brightside, like the 90s pop song goes things can only get better and like people have already said he got in the goal-scoring postions he just looked incredibly nervous. For one of the chances he knocked Roberts out of the way only to try attempt a weak header and a flying kick at the same time, then to round things off he deflected Benni's (think it was Benni) shot away from goal from the rebound. :lol:

Must admit the constant references to £6m striker annoyed me. £6m may be a lot for Rovers - but in the Premiership it is peanuts. Contrast this with the constant references to Owen - "he'll come good", "not fully fit yet" - just highlights how we aren' the media darlings.

I didn't see MOTD due to work but you're post has really angered me, not you personally but the content which I completley agree with your opinion. Some people might think were over reacting but I'm getting fed up with the constant negativity from the media that surrounds our club. The BBC seem to be the main culprits but they are certainly not on our own.

1. We didn't give Ince enough time, how long did they bang on about that for. I don't see anyone else giving Ince a job other than a league 1 side which is only because he did decently with them before when they had a team which was too good for the division. I don't want to start an Andrews debate on how good he is but surely we can all agree at League 2 level he must have been one of if not the best in the league.

2. Under Hughes all we did was foul people, about 800 a game I think we used to make, deserved at least 4 or so red cards a game

3. All we do under Sam now is hoof it hoof it hoof it, I know we do to an extent but they make Stoke sound like Brazil 1970 when they talk about us sometimes.

4. Plus they always talk about us now as Allardyce's Blackburn and constantly mention what he did at Bolton and how he'll get a team to battle blah blah blah, talk about Rovers for once not bloody Allardyce all the time, there's more to a club than a manager.

5. They constantly mention our lack of support at games. (Sorry for being a club in a small town BBC and having a fantastic proportion of fans compared to population) This really bugged me because last week, or perhaps it was on Sky they were bigging up Burnley's support despite the small town.

6. The Citeh game last week they banged on and on about the debutants for Citeh despite us featuring 4 in Jacobsen Di Santo, N'Zonzi and Hoilett.

7. As you say, lots of talk about the '6m flop' this week but nothing about the '400k bargain' last week.

I think we should start some emails to BBC asking them to at least stop with all the myth's they seem to believe about the club.

The lad needs time and plenty of it, but lets not forget, Grabbi took up good positions and was useless, so lets not hang on to that hope.

I have every faith in the manager on this one, he took his time and got his man, so lets sit back and see how things pan out.

Archived