BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Refs And Assistants

Thought it deserved it's own thread, this is more rules for the new season and also a place to discuss the dodgy decisions in games this season.

New Rules

Basically managers cannot talk about match officials in the media pre match.

Fast tracking of managers and club officials involved in technical area misconduct.

New guidelines on harrassment of match officials.

Let's see how this goes following the respect campaign we had last season, what's Fergie going to talk about now in pre match press conference now he can't put pressure on the ref.

This will no doubt end up, the same as the respect campaign. Managers have a way of talking about the officials, without really mentioning them by name. If the officials were good and consistent through out a game, then these new rules would not be necessary. The fact is, that the officials are more often weak and not capable of handling games. This leads to frustration by managers, who's job suddenly comes under fire if results dont go their way. You cant blame a manger when they have a go at an official, people's jobs and clubs league status are on the line due to little errors by these officials.

The whole issue is in Iceman's post.

All we are asking from officials is consistency and competence. Whilst it is a difficult job they do, every football supporter has seen time and time again, 'bottling out' by the officials and issuing cards for instances which they have previously ignored in the same match. It's extremely frustrating. However, I absolutely disagree with players (are you listening Chelsea?) hounding the referees in the way that they do. The only people who should be allowed to speak to the referee about a decision are the on the pitch team captains, and possibly the player(s) immediately involved; anyone else approaching them should be immediately carded, in my opinion.

Baz, Wegner will sneak it in somewhere, he will probably speak of being wary of 'possible injuries' - he will find a way!!!

It's easy not to talk about the officials.

They'll just say that 'Blackburn are going to be very physical. We will want to play football, but they will try to break up play. I will tell my players to be wary of violent challenges'

the boxing in of the ref every time he blows his whistle i agree with, but talking to the media pre match is stupid imo, no one knows how that ref is going to be on the day yet managers slate them every match before they have even blown a whistle. and if im honest the refs get enough bashing off the fans as it is

A bit of a tangent, but still linked to disciplinary matters ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8184604.stm

A new ruling which could see red card bans extended according to how badly injured a player is. Personally I think this is a bad thing. Harsher punishments where there is ill intent is a very good idea but level of injury is another matter. We've all seen players with broken legs arising from pretty innocuous challenges. This is clearly introduced as the "Martin Taylor rule" but, even in that case, I would say that the challenge was clumsy but not malicious.

I'll be interested to see how this is applied.

The whole issue is in Iceman's post.

All we are asking from officials is consistency and competence. Whilst it is a difficult job they do, every football supporter has seen time and time again, 'bottling out' by the officials and issuing cards for instances which they have previously ignored in the same match. It's extremely frustrating. However, I absolutely disagree with players (are you listening Chelsea?) hounding the referees in the way that they do. The only people who should be allowed to speak to the referee about a decision are the on the pitch team captains, and possibly the player(s) immediately involved; anyone else approaching them should be immediately carded, in my opinion.Baz, Wegner will sneak it in somewhere, he will probably speak of being wary of 'possible injuries' - he will find a way!!!

Christ Roversmum - you ever played as this is top notch and couldn't agree more.

Funnily enough this did use to happen - in amateur league anyway when I played more - refs use to say at the beginning of games they would not tolerate it amongst other things - didn't happen with every ref but was in operation but on the other side of things - never used to really happen anyway - only seems to be a recent thing that has appeared primarily from the actions of 'top clubs'.

Lol Capt! Just common sense really as far as I am concerned.

Indeed - and evidently so sadly lost

Think I have mentioned this before though and don't really blame the officials themseleves - just the ones that actually make the rules (ambiguous none the least) - too much grey and messing from hidden bods off the pitch.

Difficult job that just seems to get made more difficult with red tape that the poor ;) officials seem gagged by.

• 4 weeks later...

Wenger to get apology

"I've spoken to Keith Hackett and he fully recognises the situation was an error and an apology will follow to Arsene Wenger," said Bevan.

"Lee Probert totally failed to manage the situation and created a needless pressure point taking the focus away from the pitch in a big event with only a minute to go."

"Although correct in 'law', the decision was completely out of context in the game and it was followed by the nonsense which followed over where Arsene Wenger should sit."

It's great isn't it. A fourth official follows the rules and gets slated by his boss because the game involved United and Arsenal, and it was the Mighty Arsene Wenger.

If it had been Allardyce or Pulis sent to the stands, it would probably warrant a mention in the post match write ups but that would have been the end of it.

How can you have complete consistency from officials when we all see and interpret things differently. You only have to look at this messageboard to see the varying opinions and fall outs amongst posters.

With a split second to make a decision the officials do a good job under challenging circumstances even last saturday when Dunny should have had a penalty one or two posters thought Dunnys fall didnt do himself any favours with the referee.

Archived