BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] The Football League Thread 09-10

So, it all kicked off today...

Biggest results are probably Norwich's embarassing defeat, Notts County's impressive start under Sven and the game at the moment at The Hawthorns.

On that note, Duff has just equalised for Newcastle. Probably deserved it!

I don't know what is wrong with a MOTD style show, all the goals, bit of analysis, that is all that is really needed. When she started by saying "we'd really like your emails, particularly if you are a Newcastle fan", I thought they hardly need to be encouraged do they?!

For me the BBC showing the championship rather than the premiership is amassive coup and one that the premiership needs to be very wary of.

The championship seems a more equal playing field than the premiership and this could turn many fans away from the premiership and onto BBC's championship coverage. Early days but its going to be interesting to see how the season unfolds.

For me the BBC showing the championship rather than the premiership is amassive coup and one that the premiership needs to be very wary of.

The championship seems a more equal playing field than the premiership and this could turn many fans away from the premiership and onto BBC's championship coverage. Early days but its going to be interesting to see how the season unfolds.

And fans will be excited at the prospect of relegation because they can watch their team on BBC :huh:

They do only have 10 games for the whole season though. Their next game is also Newcastle at the end of September.

Newcastle and Boro' recorded emphatic wins today, as did Notts County... 9 goals 0 conceded in two games!

Palace had a perfect goal chalked off today, hit the back post and came out... poor Palace, Warnock is fuming, and rightly so!

Newcastle and Boro' recorded emphatic wins today, as did Notts County... 9 goals 0 conceded in two games!

Palace had a perfect goal chalked off today, hit the back post and came out... poor Palace, Warnock is fuming, and rightly so!

I've just seen that on ssn - it was so obviously in!! Simon Jordan has just been on the phone to sky. I think he is an idiot but he is rightly naffed off with that.

Interesting story developing at Huddersfield. They seem to have found two of the most exciting young forwards in lower league football in Lee Novak and Jordan Rhodes. Rhodes has scored four already. If they maintain their current form, Huddersfield are going to be right up there in League One.

The Beeb coverage of the lower leagues has got me bitten. I am disillusioned with the Premier League's banal predictabilities. THe football league is hardly a plane of total football but there are plenty of interesting stories which are catching my attention. The unpredictability is something that particularly intrigues me, at the moment. Perhaps the unpredictability is down to my ignorance of the lower levels...

Interesting story developing at Huddersfield. They seem to have found two of the most exciting young forwards in lower league football in Lee Novak and Jordan Rhodes. Rhodes has scored four already. If they maintain their current form, Huddersfield are going to be right up there in League One.

The Beeb coverage of the lower leagues has got me bitten. I am disillusioned with the Premier League's banal predictabilities. THe football league is hardly a plane of total football but there are plenty of interesting stories which are catching my attention. The unpredictability is something that particularly intrigues me, at the moment. Perhaps the unpredictability is down to my ignorance of the lower levels...

Agree wholeheartedly with this bit. Still rovers all the way, but seeing how the lower leagues shape up is really interesting. I really enjoyed an unpredictable championship last year (dingles aside) and am quite into league 1 as carlisle are now my second team. I've seen some cracking games of lower league football, although when it's bad I've found the bad is a lot worse then premiership bad.

Rover6 Four-four-two magazine do a good pre season preview of every team with their latest issue of the magazine, it's quite a helpful overview of the teams, and would recommend it for anyone starting to get an interest in these levels of football.

Is it the same Lee Novak who was been banging them in for Newcastle Blue Star?

Is it the same Lee Novak who was been banging them in for Newcastle Blue Star?

Yeah... you're probably going to tell me that he's a clod of a player...

I've been looking them up and Novak and Rhodes are both over 6 foot and young, with lots of goals behind them (albeit at very lower leagues/youth level). I guess they shouldn't get too excited as they might turn out to be like the "new Jon Stead" - no, not Llorente but John McAliskey...

I felt sorry for Warnock in his interview

(Interview + Goal) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywdYMsYfJg0

That was certainly a shocking decision. I remember a similar disallowed goal about 10 years ago when Southampton played Leeds United at The Dell. Mark Hughes hit the ball so hard into the net that it rebounded off the advertisement boards behind the goal and went back into play.

Yeah... you're probably going to tell me that he's a clod of a player...

Why would I?

Saw him a few times for BlueStar and looked good at that level. I am actually surprised it took so long for a higher level club to snap him up with his goal scoring record.

Sorry, Stuwilky, I meant that comment in jest - I should have clarified with a B)

It does seem as if there is real talent in non-league. Arguably, hardly any will rise to Prem standard but looking at Kightly, Derbyshire, Mackie (Plymouth striker) and even our own Alex Marrow, amongst others, there are certainly some useful players out there. In the age of all-gobbling academy behemoths, it is surprising than some good players are around in non-league. Although, I guess, some may be academy rejects.

Does anyone know much about Reading midfielder, young Irishman, Scott Davies? I saw a bit of him in some highlights and he looks a very technically gifted player.

That was certainly a shocking decision. I remember a similar disallowed goal about 10 years ago when Southampton played Leeds United at The Dell. Mark Hughes hit the ball so hard into the net that it rebounded off the advertisement boards behind the goal and went back into play.

In the professional game, that (Bristol City V Crystal Palace) should never happen. Mistakes that bad just show how utterly inept referees and assistant referees are. How can anyone miss something that obvious? The fact the assistant then tried to invent an 'infringement' is genuinely worrying.

Archived