BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Man City Preview

• Replies 815
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Al thinks Andrews is the spawn of satan.

He who despite being paid less than everybody else didn't demand a transfer to Fulham (Europa league) when they came calling.

Let's choose him to hate, a great target.

Oh dear, this depresses me, please stop trying to tell me he has the ability, let it be, please, I think even Sam has sen the light now!!

Martinez got a lot of praise on MOTD for the way his team played at the weekend.

Wigan are a team that sold most of it's best players but still managed to play good football.

A lot of people equate good football to relegation, I don't believe that is true for a second. Just because it happened with Ince does not mean it will happen everytime.

I remember us winning away at Everton last season - after that the season went down hill.

Ince had a reputation for attractive football before he joined Rovers - but that got lost as the results went down the pan.

Maybe Wigan and Martinez will be more luck than Ince and Rovers - but one match doesn't make a season.

I didn't say he had the ability. I said we didn't have anyone else.

Starting in him in the first game of the season is him losing faith in him? What does he do with the players he likes?

But Sam didn't end the first game of the season with Keith did he? And believe me, if Sam ends the last game of this season with Keith, something will have gone wrong, badly wrong.

With a bit of luck, Gally replacing him will be followed up by Grella, Emerton, Reid and Dunn all replacing him as well. Even perhaps Salgado and ANO superstar midfielder!

THREE shots taken by our strikers in the penalty area aimed at the goal, one of which was saved by Shay Given= poor finishing, can you find TWO goal worthy efforts made by Man City bar the goals?

Robinho forced Robinson into two saves, one in each half - the one in the second was superbly tipped round his right-hand post.

Also in the second half, Ireland should have been one-on-one with Robinson with time to spare were it not for a weak pass from Adebayor - he ended up making a hash of the shot. Tevez tested Robinson when he came on too.

Those are off the top of my head - I can look for more if you want?

Out of interest what was your opinion about Liverpool vs Spurs, would you class that as "hoofball?

I didn't see the game so can't assess it fairly. I would define a "hoofballing" side as one which gets the ball "into the mixer" as quickly as possible at every, single opportunity (throw-in, free-kick on the half-way line, etc), and is always looking for the most direct route to goal - which results in many aimless, long punts.

Much was made of the fact we were likely to be playing 4-4-2 this season; traditionally an attacking formation involving your wingers getting to the by-line (á la Damien Duff, once upon a time). There is no sign of that with this team. Our long, diagonal balls (I honestly lost count of how many there were on Saturday) normally come from our full backs, or occasionally our wingers who lie too deep. The only "getting to the by-line" done against Man City came from Pedersen racing to get his head on - that's right - a thunderous hoof from 50 yards.

. The only "getting to the by-line" done against Man City came from Pedersen racing to get his head on - that's right - a thunderous hoof from 50 yards.

In fairness our wingers haven't got the pace to get to the byline - if they do beat a full back they are normally quick enough to catch em back up before they reach the byline lol. Only player since Duff who could do this was Bellamy.

Well... I guess Samba's to blame but he's not a repeat offender. So you can understand why Al thought it was Andrews who gave the ball away! Autopilot...

Look back. It certainly wasn't me who said Andrews gave the ball away for that goal. The man is useless but he was not responsible for that. It was definitely Samba. I don't mind taking flak for what I post but that was not me.

Crossing the ball into the box is NOT classified as hoofball. If you don't understand this then there's no point participating in this argument at all. We played to our strengths against City, and barring a horrid first 3 minutes, we were on top of the game and playing well.

And no spencey, playing to our strengths does not mean I'm saying our players are crap, so we play crap football. We played good football utilising our players strengths.

there is NO REASON for us to be playing schoolyard football. All we're likely to have on offer under Allardyce is scrappy hit-and-hope, up-and-under, out-dated, ineffective, reductive, embarrassing crap.

Oh man... I had no idea we were an amateur non-league side, what are we doing in the Premier League playing against the world's most talented players???

Robinho forced Robinson into two saves, one in each half - the one in the second was superbly tipped round his right-hand post.

Also in the second half, Ireland should have been one-on-one with Robinson with time to spare were it not for a weak pass from Adebayor - he ended up making a hash of the shot. Tevez tested Robinson when he came on too.

Those are off the top of my head - I can look for more if you want?

I didn't see the game so can't assess it fairly. I would define a "hoofballing" side as one which gets the ball "into the mixer" as quickly as possible at every, single opportunity (throw-in, free-kick on the half-way line, etc), and is always looking for the most direct route to goal - which results in many aimless, long punts.

Much was made of the fact we were likely to be playing 4-4-2 this season; traditionally an attacking formation involving your wingers getting to the by-line (á la Damien Duff, once upon a time). There is no sign of that with this team. Our long, diagonal balls (I honestly lost count of how many there were on Saturday) normally come from our full backs, or occasionally our wingers who lie too deep. The only "getting to the by-line" done against Man City came from Pedersen racing to get his head on - that's right - a thunderous hoof from 50 yards.

1. Thats fine as long as you accept that we did have at least TWO chances in and around the box, that had nothing to do with free kicks, something which you deny. ( I can find many more Rovers chances but you will no doubt claim that free kicks are not chances/missed opportunities dont count for Rovers)

2. I may have been watching a different game but I do recall Jacobsen crossing at least two delightful balls into the box, I also recall EHD doing similar things.(granted the crossing was not as good) These involved moments of play where we passed the ball on the ground!, this is certainly not hoofball is it, by your definition of the term?

3. Spurs and Liverpool passed the ball forward (oops "hoofed") for most of the game, no doubt they will continue to do so, I suggest watching a few other games and then making a fairer verdict.

........... I would define a "hoofballing" side as one which gets the ball "into the mixer" as quickly as possible at every, single opportunity (throw-in, free-kick on the half-way line, etc), and is always looking for the most direct route to goal - which results in many aimless, long punts.

Ah so 'the hoofball game' is really another way of saying 'the long ball game'? :rolleyes: It doesn't abbreviete the original term so who was responsible for the unecessary adaptation and why?

Silly, Drog. It makes those who use it feel superior of course <_<

Right. Well for us oldies here is hoofball explained.

http://natarojo.blogspot.com/2009/02/hoof-ball-take-1.html

and here is an example played out in front of just one spectator (can't even see his dog). This really is great stuff.

http://video.google.co.uk/videosearch?hl=e...e&resnum=4#

Must say I don't think it'll catch on but the music is good though and a tune that might easily be adapted at Ewood on Oct 18th if I were in charge of such things. ;)

btw I've no idea about the technical know how required but how good would it be if duelling banjo's were automatically played as background music whenever anyone clicks on the Burnley thread? :lol:

Much was made of the fact we were likely to be playing 4-4-2 this season; traditionally an attacking formation involving your wingers getting to the by-line (á la Damien Duff, once upon a time). There is no sign of that with this team. The only "getting to the by-line" done against Man City came from Pedersen racing to get his head on - that's right - a thunderous hoof from 50 yards.

You didnt see the game? Then how can you comment thenngo? :lol: You have just proved that your points are invalid and based on nothing, if you didnt see the game......

As for getting to the 'by-line' you obvisouly missed Diouf send Bridge one way then the other to get to the line and then whip a cross in? Or you missed the several times that Jacobsen ran on and whipped crosses over?

As for the save from Robinhood - it was bread & butter for Robbo.

You didnt see the game? Then how can you comment thenngo? :lol: You have just proved that your points are invalid and based on nothing, if you didnt see the game......

He didn't see the Liverpool game...

But yes, he is talking absolute pony anyway.

I never said play him as a full-back. Put Olsson on the left wing to take the pressure off him, and see what he can do.

This is something I mentioned last season before he had even started in the first team - Olsson is not a left back IMO - his attributes are more supported to the left winger role.

Still wracking my grey matter at the mo to find out when the hoofball period kicked in - what I saw was a decent game of football with mixed play, creativity and composure apart as already mentioned bettered for the majority by Rovers until a tired (for Rovers worryingly) ending and kick in the teeth.

Blood and thunder with the weather change to match - refreshing and a better outlook than what we have seen for the last 12 months.

This is something I mentioned last season before he had even started in the first team - Olsson is not a left back IMO - his attributes are more supported to the left winger role.

Still wracking my grey matter at the mo to find out when the hoofball period kicked in - what I saw was a decent game of football with mixed play, creativity and composure apart as already mentioned bettered for the majority by Rovers until a tired (for Rovers worryingly) ending and kick in the teeth.

Blood and thunder with the weather change to match - refreshing and a better outlook than what we have seen for the last 12 months.

And more renditions of the Different Strokes theme tune CAPT...

I didn't see the Liverpool-Spurs game. Way to read.

As for getting to the 'by-line' you obvisouly missed Diouf send Bridge one way then the other to get to the line and then whip a cross in? Or you missed the several times that Jacobsen ran on and whipped crosses over?

Clearly I did.

Diouf did absolutely NOTHING in that game.

Oh man... I had no idea we were an amateur non-league side, what are we doing in the Premier League playing against the world's most talented players???

Good question. Unless things change it won't stay that way.

One final point - I didn't coin the term "hoofball" and think it's completely unnecessary, but I'm happy to play along with others if it makes them feel any better about the fact we're a hideous long-ball side.

One final point - I didn't coin the term "hoofball" and think it's completely unnecessary, but I'm happy to play along with others if it makes them feel any better about the fact we're a hideous long-ball side.

I seem to recall at Anfield last season that Liverpool's opening goal was the result of a long ball that Torres controlled and finished in superb fashion. I suppose that would make them a hideous long-ball side in your opinion?

There are many ways of playing the game of football. I suspect your hatred of Big Sam simply colours your judgement on these things. We played long ball under Hughes and when we won the title we relied on long crossfield passes to get the wingers away so that they could centre for Shearer to finish. Long ball to some is a long pass to others. The only thing that matters is the end result.

Personally, I thought Sam did an excellent job last season in guiding us to safety. I suspect WBA fans would have preferred a few more long balls and not as much fancy football if it had kept them up. As I have said before, I am under no illusion that Sam will change his style or beliefs. Why should he? They have worked well for him in the past and they worked well for him last season with players who really weren't always in tune with his methods. As long as we retain Premier League status I am very happy to watch more games like the one against City which I found to be very entertaining.

And more renditions of the Different Strokes theme tune CAPT...

What you talking about Willis ..... ?

Ha ha indeed!!! :P

" Now, the world don't move to the beat of just one drum,

What might be right for you, may not be right for some..... "

I still don't understand what spencey classifies as "hideous". It seems that anything we put into the air is classified as ugly, long ball football. I played as winger in my local club and I spent hours practicing long crosses that would hit the head or the feet of whoever I was practicing with. I did this in games as well and it wasn't because I was trying hopeful balls, but because it was my strength as a player and I used it to expose the opposition's defence.

Why would a player play a ball along the ground when they see an opportunity to put in a sweet cross to one of their own attacking players where they can see weaknesses in the defence? We didn't sit back and defend against Man City, we were constantly attacking. It wasn't all just panicky clearances and ball hoofing. There are situations where long balls are required and we've been utilising that as best we can.

I still don't understand what spencey classifies as "hideous".

Long-ball teams get the ball forward without much consideration of picking a pass or moving the ball to a specific player - it's just up the park and into the box as quickly as possible. There's no craft or finesse to throwing everything into the opposition penalty area and piling in bodies to create general havoc, which will hopefully lead to a shot on goal.

I'm not denying that there are some wonderful long-range passers of the ball (Scholes, Tugay, Zidane was the greatest), but the skill and vision required to make those is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT to whacking the ball into the box from just inside the opposition half. Spreading and switching the play from wing to wing to create space can be great to watch - but that is NOT what we're doing, nothing like it.

You will notice over the course of the season that if we get a free kick on halfway, play will be stopped and bodies will pour into the opposition box. I'm not saying that shouldn't be done - but it shouldn't be done all the time. I personally find it insulting to fans, but it is without question one-dimensional and archaic.

Archived