BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Got A Big Interview, Any Tips?

Hey guys,

I'm 18 just come out of school, and i have sent over 150 letters to construction companies with my CV, many replys back saying excellent CV and letter but we are unable to offer something due to the economic downturn. Anyways Tuesday i got a letter through expecting it to be a rejection, but it's an interview for a an apprentership in site joinery.

Ive always wanted to work in joinery, this is proven by my level 2 nvq which i got a distinction for 2 years ago when at college before i stayed on at school :(, and basically with it being so hard in the construction industry to get anything the pressure is really on to nail this job, however i know the is many applicants being interivewed the same day, some older than me and im ###### it.

I know to bring my CV, interivew letter, cetificates of my NVQ, to the interview.

I know to go in and shake the interivewees hands and saying what a pleasure to meet them.

To sound enthusiastic and say how much it would mean to me to get the job.

Any tips guys, perfect interviews?

Cheers

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Near the end they'll ask you if you have any questions. Don't just respond with 'no', make sure you've got a couple you can ask, it'll make you sound like you've done your research and that you are genuinely interested. If you tie it into your research about the company rather than making it a generic question, all the better.

Near the end they'll ask you if you have any questions. Don't just respond with 'no', make sure you've got a couple you can ask, it'll make you sound like you've done your research and that you are genuinely interested. If you tie it into your research about the company rather than making it a generic question, all the better.

Also show an interest in the company as it stands, ask how many employees, what area do they cover, is it all local work or would you be required to work away? Will there be a company vehicle available to you once you have completed either your probation period or first level of training? Are the company willing to send you to college and fund your City & Guilds/NVQ Joinery qualifications?

Hey guys,

I'm 18 just come out of school, and i have sent over 150 letters to construction companies with my CV, many replys back saying excellent CV and letter but we are unable to offer something due to the economic downturn. Anyways Tuesday i got a letter through expecting it to be a rejection, but it's an interview for a an apprentership in site joinery.

Ive always wanted to work in joinery, this is proven by my level 2 nvq which i got a distinction for 2 years ago when at college before i stayed on at school :(, and basically with it being so hard in the construction industry to get anything the pressure is really on to nail this job, however i know the is many applicants being interivewed the same day, some older than me and im ###### it.

I know to bring my CV, interivew letter, cetificates of my NVQ, to the interview.

I know to go in and shake the interivewees hands and saying what a pleasure to meet them.

To sound enthusiastic and say how much it would mean to me to get the job.

Any tips guys, perfect interviews?

Cheers

The main thing is to look at the key points with regards to qualifications, ensure that you show you can meet the criteria set out and build your application around those, stressing your abilities in those key areas!!

Good eye contact is essential, sit upright in the chair and look enthusiastic!! DO not sit down until invited to do so!!

Look at the job spec and write down things you wish to ask them about the job, what kind of joinery work do they do, general or specific areas, they like that, it shows you are interested in the job, tell them if it has been your ambition to work in joinery!!

I would advise on saying what a pleasure to meet them, better to say 'thank you for seeing me'

much less formal but polite

Before you leave, thank them once again and retain good eye contact throughout!!

Good luck, you will be fine!!

Kelbo

Have examples ready of why you are suitable for the role.

These do not have to be work related but can be personal such as timekeeping in relation to your personal/family life, team work in relation to being a member of sports teams or the like.

If you have cared for a sick/elderly family member it shows responsibility, or even trustworthy assets as you used to pick up their pension or do their shopping for them.

Think about the questions they are asking you, take a deep breath before answering and keep the answers to the point.

If you know people who work in the industry or even better the company speak to them and listen to their experiences and name drop if you have to in the interview, but only if they have a good reputation!

Don't worry if you don't get the job.

Treat this as practice and attend as many interviews as possible.

The stats used to be something like for every 12 applaications you make you get 1 interview and on average it takes 7 interviews to get a job offer. This will probably have worsened in the current climate so it is not the end of the world if this one doesn't come off even though it may feel like it.

Relax and be yourself and your skills/suitability for the role should shine through.

Yes, always ask for a few seconds to consider an answer if you need it, there's no way they'll say "no".

preparation prevents pretty poor performance.

Is there someone who's had a few interviews in their time who can do a role-play of the interview with you

Know the job spec inside out, think about how you could fit to it, don't worry if you're not a perfect fit, if you're enthusiastic and willing but not perfect, they'd rather have that than someone who's a perfect fit but can't be bothered. Tell them at the very end how much you'd like the role, be enthusiastic. Maintain adequate eye contact throughout the interview.

good luck!

And make sure you're well turned-out! Well polished shoes in a good state of repair, clean and pressed shirt that fits, sober tie, no cartoon characters, clean well-fitting trousers, hopefully you'll have a suit you can wear. No silly bum-fluff on your face, fresh breath, well-scrubbed. Clean, trimmed nails. No daft hair styles.

* Swat up about the company, but no need to over do it.

* Prepare some questions to ask them.

* If they ever ask what your weakness is, say you're a perfectionist. :P

* Be assertive about wanting the job, but not overbearing.

Dont forget that if you dont know the answer, dont waffle on for hours, you'll just look like a tit, just say, "I'm sorry, I'm not sure of the answer, I can find out and get back to you if you wish"

However if the question is "What's your name?" and you're having trouble ..........

;)

What Bryan said about appearance. Shave the night before so blood stains might have gone by then and get a sensible sober suit, Also get dressed after you've cleaned your teeth

* If they ever ask what your weakness is, say you're a perfectionist. :P

id go along with pretty much everything said minus the above point (though i have a feeling hes taking the mick with it)

also a good point to remember is try not to fidget.

Sit in your chair so your slightly leaning forward, dont slouch, sit with your hands losely held together on your knees, not in your lap (and then dont fidget for gods sake)

Speak clearly and slowly (you'll find that you'll gabble due to stress if you arent careful.

Dont say "yer know" at the end of each sentence (IF THEY KNEW THEY WOULDNT HAVE ASKED THE QUESTION!!!!), ditto "Like" and "Basically" interspersed through out every sentence like. grrrrr

Eye contact, keep eye contact with the people you're addressing, if its more than 1, take it in turns to look at each of them when giving your answer.

Try and go for a handshake that is firm but not bone crushing, bonecrushing just makes you come across as a wanabe macho freak.

Dont worry about anyone writting, its just making notes on how you're doing, but mainly to try and see how you cope with a little bit of pressure.

Remember, be keen, be enthusiastic (but not that enthusiastic or you come across as a) desperate and B) a lunatic. And if it doesnt work out, take it as experience, learn from where you think you went wrong. Ask the company for feed back and try again.

If you can get someone to run through a mock interview with you before you go, that will help greatly.

Dont forget to check your fly's and wear comfortable undies, you'ld be surprised about how much you'll fidget if they arent comfortable when you're sat down

id go along with pretty much everything said minus the above point (though i have a feeling hes taking the mick with it)

Nope. If you have to pick a weakness, you need something with a positive spin on it. Saying you're a perfectionist or too thorough at times, is definitely up there.

Everything can be seen with a negative slant.

Perfectionists might not get the job done on time, because they're concerned with getting every minor detail right and are probably a pain in the bum to work with.

Probably the best thing to say in this situation is that he's inexperienced, that's not a failing on his part but it is a weakness in his application. and then say he's willing to learn fast.

apprentership in site joinery

If this is the job your after, then try and take some examples of your work.

Even if it means spending time this weekend making up samples of tennon, dovetail joints etc.

Making up a few samples will show your prospective employer that a) your interested B) you know the principles of joinery c) that you have some skill.

Show that you know something about timber used in construction parts of a window etc

ps hope you spell checked your cv :o

Practice using power hand tools, you won't need anything else, your spirit level, chisels, plains, squares and any other hand tools you used on your NVQ's bin um you won't be needing um. ;) except your hammer you'll need that for stud (4" x 2") framing everything else comes pre assembled.

A good router and hinge/lock jig, around 10 door and frame sets a day should get you the job.

Only joking from experience site joinery is not the highest on joinery skill levels, I think most of your competition will come from agency guys.

Good luck most of the points above would impress an interviewer.

Nope. If you have to pick a weakness, you need something with a positive spin on it. Saying you're a perfectionist or too thorough at times, is definitely up there.

sorry i misread what you said.

Double espresso about 30 mins before should give your concentration a temporary boost. ;)

Also between now and then try to think about the situation from the employers point of view and not your own! Taking on apprentices is usually a rough deal for the employer nowadays. Employing people is usually a hiding to nothing situation that few really need. It also explains why there are so few apprenticeships out there. Input from the H&S Exec and employment law is usually not worth the bother.

and

2. Businesses invest lots of time, money and effort into training people who all too frequently sod off and start up on their own as soon as their apprenticeship is over. It's not fair of course but there is little anyone can do to stop that happening. A clear, concise and positive answer to that should the situation arise might take you some way forward.

Good luck.......

Well had it this morning arrived 10 mins early just so i could go through my notes beforehand, had a nice chat with the PA,very nervous in the interview but got mypoint across well i think... in the end, the moody interviewer said nice closing speech! Was a bit waffly but hey ho.

But 3 guys making notes and quickfired questions, think i coped well never been as scared as that before except meeting the mrs. :D

Thanks for all the tips guys, appreciate it!

Well had it this morning arrived 10 mins early just so i could go through my notes beforehand, had a nice chat with the PA,very nervous in the interview but got mypoint across well i think... in the end, the moody interviewer said nice closing speech! Was a bit waffly but hey ho.

But 3 guys making notes and quickfired questions, think i coped well never been as scared as that before except meeting the mrs. :D

Thanks for all the tips guys, appreciate it!

Good luck with that. how long did it go on for?

Archived