BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Topic The Final Day

Massively downhearted that we could find a midfielder who doesn't need a Zimmer frame to get out on the pitch. It's going to be a long slog now. Been following Rovers since !960 and I don't know how many years I've got left in the tank .Yeh I know " You should have at Shrewsbury in 1972 when we got dicked 7-2, that was really bad ", I've been there , got the tee-shirt. Seen us lose to - you name them , Rochdale, Oldham, we lost to them

How we can fill the team with defenders yet not address the problem that's been staring us in the face for seasons is beyond me.

A long hard season is staring us in the face ! The only excitment will be in avoiding the drop.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

nicko

massive thanks for your time and contributions to the board, i'm not on nearly as much outside the window. i'm more of a reader than a poster, and on behalf of myself and the rest of em, cheers mate - absolute star. do stick around.

p.s. what time's the 11 o'clocker tonight ;)

Rothen's test was not the best...so you can't argue with that.

Press conference nonsense aside, I maintain my stance on this subject: We blew this one big time. We had 2 months to get it done but we just jerked around. I think both Souey and Sparky would have insisted on signing him, especially under the circumstances we find ourselves and considering the terms Rangers got him for. Oh well, football goes on........ :brfc::(

Press conference nonsense aside, I maintain my stance on this subject: We blew this one big time. We had 2 months to get it done but we just jerked around. I think both Souey and Sparky would have insisted on signing him, especially under the circumstances we find ourselves and considering the terms Rangers got him for. Oh well, football goes on........ :brfc::(

It's weird, you're the only bloke who thinks he's any good, yet you live thousands of miles away from everyone who's got near him, all of which have turned him away/ or moved him on.

''We blew this one big time..'' That's a pretty bold statement. You've seen him play what, a dozen times or something? On TV I assume?

If a 31 year old PSG Reject ends up at Rangers, it usually means only one thing, he's @#/?.

Silly post doctorryan.

1. You didn't see his trial

and

2. you have no idea what Souness and Hughes would have done. Lest we forget, what we do know is that GS could have done absolutely bloody anything....... he signed Toogs and Brad granted BUT he also signed likes of Grabbi, Amo and Matteo and played an unseen George Whea's non footballing cousin in a Prem league match for Soton. :rolleyes::lol:

It's weird, you're the only bloke who thinks he's any good, yet you live thousands of miles away from everyone who's got near him, all of which have turned him away/ or moved him on.

''We blew this one big time..'' That's a pretty bold statement. You've seen him play what, a dozen times or something? On TV I assume?

If a 31 year old PSG Reject ends up at Rangers, it usually means only one thing, he's @#/?.

Exactly right. The fact is Sam has far more experience at this than any of us, including the Football Manager scouts with enough online experience to outway the ones that get paid to watch players rather than playing for nine days straight to see who is a worldbeater in 2014.

I also feel as though the argument “Sam doesn’t know what he is doing because he has signed a few bad players in the entire course of his career.” Imagine how many duds we would have signed! How many times would the Youtube stars (mentioning no names) of this world would see us opening the chequebook straight away?

The fact remains that Sam knows what he is doing in the market and if he doesn’t believe that Rothen was good enough for us, then that is good enough for me! I feel as though the fact that he has ended up at Rangers rather than another Premier League team is also testament to this.

Dr Ryanair, you should probably change your sig so it's something to do with this Rothen obsession.

The current one is far too dark, given that our chances of Champs League football are precisely nil ...

... Going bust however :o

I stand by my statement. But if we weren't going to sign him, I do wish Nolan was coming. I think we're going to be lucky to survive. And if we do get relegated, it will be what we deserve for our actions (as a club) over the last 20 months. I won't shed a tear. Relying on others to suck more than you do is no way to compete.

I stand by my statement. But if we weren't going to sign him, I do wish Nolan was coming. I think we're going to be lucky to survive. And if we do get relegated, it will be what we deserve for our actions (as a club) over the last 20 months. I won't shed a tear. Relying on others to suck more than you do is no way to compete.

Now that I do agree with.

Spending £10m we don't have is still better than not receiving the £30m we aren't gonna be getting soon.

............... what we do know is that GS could have done absolutely bloody anything....... he signed Toogs and Brad granted BUT he also signed likes of Grabbi, Amo and Matteo and played an unseen George Whea's non footballing cousin in a Prem league match for Soton. :rolleyes::lol:

That's not hurting my point Gordon. He may very well have signed the 2 of us. :P

Rothen was a bit below the levels of fitness wanted in the 'test' - that doesn't mean he is unfit or has a problem - just that he may not be up to what is needed for the Premier League.

Got to say if that is what the report from the people at the club was then it's good enough for me.

The Algerian Ghilas was sent away after a similar spell...and signed for Hull. Time will tell if he is any good.

On Warnock, all I would say is that the fee is a lot for a player who is NOT an England cap and probably won't be...and he wanted to go.

Not sure Pascal will be his long-term successor, but the defenders you now have are a pretty strong and varied bunch.

The midfield nags at me a bit...but no point in banging on about it.

The Zurab tale will be interesting as it unfolds. I think there will be a push to get him fixed up soon. Not sure quite hard how people tried to shift him today - maybe nobody really wanted the money for Nolan.

One thing that did happen today is that Newcastle failed to move out their really big earners...that could stuff them financially.

Dying to find out what spin is put on the David James saga tomorrow. What a cock-up. James is stuffed now - don't be surprised if Paul Hart doesn't pick him too often.

Dr Ryanair, you should probably change your sig so it's something to do with this Rothen obsession.

The current one is far too dark, given that our chances of Champs League football are precisely nil ...

... Going bust however :o

Using cheap airline references to insult me? :lol: That's below you Tris and over the head of too many on here.

Rothen obsession? He was the best, cheap, short term option for our central midfield under the circumstances and with a big potential upside if properly motivated(the one point Eddie & I agree on with regards to him).

Dying to find out what spin is put on the David James saga tomorrow. What a cock-up. James is stuffed now - don't be surprised if Paul Hart doesn't pick him too often.

Good news for Paul Robinson. And if he gets in the England team regularly we'll of course be deemed not a 'big' enough club and it will be another big money transfer fee for us. :rolleyes:

I might be mistaken but I was at a Rovers disabled supporters Club meeting tonight and was led to understand by one of the committee members that they'd received an official text from the club this evening saying we'd signed Zenden?

Or am I imagining things?

:huh:

Good news for Paul Robinson. And if he gets in the England team regularly we'll of course be deemed not a 'big' enough club and it will be another big money transfer fee for us. :rolleyes:

God bless Paul Ince eh?

;)

Stop right there Gordon. You're giving the Trustees erections as we type.

So very disappointed with rovers.

The transfer windows over the last 12 months have seen us sell players to the tune of around £50m. All the talk and hope from some of our fans was that the money would be reinvested and we could strengthen on the back of the sales. Unfortunately, those who have been watching football long enough know there's really only one outcome when you sell big and buy small. Some fans were expecting us to be going for the Lennon's and Darren Bents with that cash. We weren't even in the discussions.

Only 12 months ago, we had a manger who set targets that could take us into Europe, now the target is what? Gone is all talk of ambition. When was the last positive message anyone heard from anyone at the club - John Williams, big Sam, - anyone?

At the end of last season the owners put forward a fantastic season ticket initiative. Alas, unless the displays improve ten fold, many of those who bought, wont be coming back, probably for a long time. Why bother with the ticket initiative if the club simply sells it's best players and doesn't even compete for the decent replacements?

John Williams always said that a clubs wage bill should reflect the final league position. The owners demanded that the wage bill should be cut by £5m. We scraped to safety last season, so where do they expect the team to finish this season?

Our club has taken a massive step backwards this summer - in my opinion. It's not going to be easy to recover from that. This Kalanic better be good because a lot, very unfairly, will rest on his young inexperienced shoulders.

Sorry to place another depressing post, but that's how I feel.

You're not alone den.

Our club has taken a massive step backwards this summer - in my opinion. It's not going to be easy to recover from that. This Kalanic better be good because a lot, very unfairly, will rest on his young inexperienced shoulders.

Not this summer Den It began last summer when Hughes left..... In fact the January before when whatever happened happened.

Not this summer Den It began last summer when Hughes left..... In fact the January before when whatever happened happened.

In other words: "20 months ago". Wow, I can't believe I've agreed with both 'drog & Shil on the same day.

As for what happened in January 2008: My guess is Sparky wanted Diarra and the Trustees said no. So Sparky told them to pound sand and I don't blame him.

But Man City Sparky? I mean really..........

So very disappointed with rovers.

The transfer windows over the last 12 months have seen us sell players to the tune of around £50m. All the talk and hope from some of our fans was that the money would be reinvested and we could strengthen on the back of the sales. Unfortunately, those who have been watching football long enough know there's really only one outcome when you sell big and buy small. Some fans were expecting us to be going for the Lennon's and Darren Bents with that cash. We weren't even in the discussions.

Only 12 months ago, we had a manger who set targets that could take us into Europe, now the target is what? Gone is all talk of ambition. When was the last positive message anyone heard from anyone at the club - John Williams, big Sam, - anyone?

At the end of last season the owners put forward a fantastic season ticket initiative. Alas, unless the displays improve ten fold, many of those who bought, wont be coming back, probably for a long time. Why bother with the ticket initiative if the club simply sells it's best players and doesn't even compete for the decent replacements?

John Williams always said that a clubs wage bill should reflect the final league position. The owners demanded that the wage bill should be cut by £5m. We scraped to safety last season, so where do they expect the team to finish this season?

I couldn't have put it better myself. The crippling lack of ambition at the club could well be our downfall.

Just a quick question doctorryan, you say that rothen would have improved our cm options. How exactly does signing a winger improve our options in the middle of the park. He is not a cm player, simple as that. It's like saying signing Ellington would have improved our goal keeping options.

Archived