BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Transfer Topic The Final Day

But if we can only bring in an inferior player/players, it makes no sense whatoever to sell!

There's only one way to improve, keep hold of your better players at all costs, sell/offload any deadwood and try and unearth one or two gems along the way. Mark Hughes realised that seemingly.

Should we have kept Roque?

There's no telling if we'll bring in inferior players until we give it a go. If Warnock is to leave then it would have to be in the next few days to allow us to bring in a replacement, and I'm not sure if Martin O'Neill will move quick enough based on what nicko has said about his style in the past.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We won't know until we find out whether Kalinic is any good. Assuming Roque's long term fitness isn't an issue, selling him, replacing him with an unknown quantity and banking the rest of the money is a huge gamble in a footballing sense.

There's no telling if we'll bring in inferior players until we give it a go. If Warnock is to leave then it would have to be in the next few days to allow us to bring in a replacement, and I'm not sure if Martin O'Neill will move quick enough based on what nicko has said about his style in the past.

Roque is a special case because of his horrendous injury record. Warnock, on the other hand , is virtually never injured despite coming to us with a bad injury record at Liverpool. I can't see the point of building up a decent squad merely to dismantle it and start again. The team that Hughes built up to take us to 6th had the makings of something special but,tragically and as per usual, all that good work is being undone. Soon we will have hardly any players worth selling. What will the Walkers do then?

Roque is a special case because of his horrendous injury record. Warnock, on the other hand , is virtually never injured despite coming to us with a bad injury record at Liverpool. I can't see the point of building up a decent squad merely to dismantle it and start again. The team that Hughes built up to take us to 6th had the makings of something special but,tragically and as per usual, all that good work is being undone. Soon we will have hardly any players worth selling. What will the Walkers do then?[/quote]

well said :brfcsmilie:

Guest ErinBrown

Quick question before i get snared for the night by the missus.

Does it not freak others out how lucky we have been with key signings in the past? Christopher Samba was purchased on the cheap and was no way a 1st team signing. I doubt Jacobsen was a 1st team signing, but he has looked brilliant value for money since we signed him. N'Zonzi looks like a quality current player now bearing in mind the money we paid, where he came from and his age, it is a amazing piece of luck even Sam i dont think expected.

Now if Di Santo can get that first goal and Kalinic hits the ground running, im sure the luck bases geleousy that other teams have for us will continue, and long may it do so!

Now if only a manager could come in and see those 3 key words as a essential thing to undertake. 'Creative Central Midfield'.

Have just seen the above moaning posts and have to say. Unless any of you know a multi-millionaire who has a facination with a blue and white shaded football club. There is no point in moaning.

What do you guys expect JW to do, delve into his retirement fund and sign us someone with it.

We can only do what we can afford to do. Or would you prefer the club to go the way of Southampton, Pompey and Rotherham?!

I wonder how much Maloney from Celtic would cost? I liked him at Villa and he could give us some creativity in the middle. Probably a pipedream though...

I think he would be great for you. I was not happy when he left Villa. But I don't think he wants to live in England. He was miserable and homesick at Villa, so I think you are right it is a pipedream.

Roque is a special case because of his horrendous injury record. Warnock, on the other hand , is virtually never injured despite coming to us with a bad injury record at Liverpool. I can't see the point of building up a decent squad merely to dismantle it and start again. The team that Hughes built up to take us to 6th had the makings of something special but,tragically and as per usual, all that good work is being undone. Soon we will have hardly any players worth selling. What will the Walkers do then?

Wake up! We have to sell our best assets to survive.

We have found gems before and we will do it again.

I really hope Warnock doesnt have to be sold this summer - he is a big player for us, and he adds that bit of fight to our side. However if he does go then I hope we can get over £10m for him and then find a top midfielder with the money.

People need to realise that Sam so far has signed improvements only....no duds - so lets give him a chance.

On the increased Gallagher bid - that'd be interesting. Gallagher looked relatively useful on Saturday in central midfield - he had the ability to put his foot on the ball and pass it, but I'd still be tempted to sell him if a decent offer came in.

On the increased Gallagher bid - that'd be interesting. Gallagher looked relatively useful on Saturday in central midfield - he had the ability to put his foot on the ball and pass it, but I'd still be tempted to sell him if a decent offer came in.

Well that's just the problem isn't it, we haven't got many asset's who we can cash in on. Gallagher could be useful, but do we cash in for a million or give him another go? Would we be allowed to bring in Selgado if he does go? He along with a couple others (Dunn/Benni?) are the only players at the club with a bit of creativity.

I know he's about the only central midfielder that stays fit, but not selling Andrews to Fulham was a shocker from whoever had the final say.

Whether we would have been alllowed to have spend the reported £2-3 million is anyone's guess though.

On Andrews, I'd have sold him for £3m+ if the likes of Dunn and Reid were fit and could play more than 4 games a season. The timing was a bit wrong as we'd be even more exposed if he went and we didn't get someone in quickly.

I'd be getting on the blower now if I was Sam to give Woy a follow-up call.

Provided we're allowed the whole amount to bring in a replacement.

I'd be getting on the blower now if I was Sam to give Woy a follow-up call.

Provided we're allowed the whole amount to bring in a replacement.

Out of him, Dunn, Reid and Grella, Andrews would be the last one I would sell. Not because he is any good, but becausehe works hard and doesn't get injured. I would much rather have him as a back-up for centre-mid than someone who we can't even rely on to be fit.

Out of him, Dunn, Reid and Grella, Andrews would be the last one I would sell. Not because he is any good, but becausehe works hard and doesn't get injured. I would much rather have him as a back-up for centre-mid than someone who we can't even rely on to be fit.

Agree with that! Dunn, Reid and Grella are nothing but a burden on our limited finances.

I kinda know what you mean but I think you need to factor in the fact that the first three are footballers. ;)

True Gordon, but they're not much use when the physio is sticking their legs back on with bluetack.

I think the blue tack is falling off Keiths legs judging by his control of the ball !!!

I would rather play a youngster there!!

I don't want to see Warnock go but if we could get 10m+ for him and have say around 7m to spend on a center midfielder as well as Salgado on a free then I think it would improve the team as a whole. Givet would play left back with Salgado at RB, Salgado could provide cover at LB if Givet is injured or needs to play CB while Jacobsen would come in at RB.

If we get 10M for him, we'll barely have 4-5M left for a fee. I've long thought that all wages are now coming out of fee's recieved, once you knock off wages for Salgado and another for say 3 years at 30K, we're left with bugger all really. Currently we have zero left at all and its stands to reason that the fee in will have to pay for all of it. We've really battoned down the hatches when perhaps its better we look to do these massive reductions over time say two years. Somethings changed at our club since Ince.

Last year just showed that we are as capable of going down with these players as we are of reaching the top ten. I would say that implies we need players so if we also need cut-backs, perhaps a balance of the two should have been sought, and normally I would expect it be done like this. Some have said we normally back our managers down to the change in our pockets, which from comments from competent and qualified ex-managers would appear to be true. Perhaps given that I would have expected JW who has always backed his man to the hilt, to do the same for Sam, a reduction over time seems more like JW's normal balanced approach. It all seems very out of character to our normal way of operating? I cannot get away from the fact the trust which for the best part of 14-15 years now has withdrawn all support and we're now not operating right on the line we're sprinting our way to being the quickest football club to clear its debts in history, (I'll wager Platini supports Rovers!!). Its quite a turnaround in policy one that really makes me think that we now have input from above. I'm not berating the trust they've served us well over the years, but it appears things have changed, well to me anyway.

I'm just not convinced Sam would get it all and that the whole contracts would have to be incorparated into it all as well. If stevie goes the fee will be known, so at least we'll see whether it all adds up because now we have a manager who is quite open about things like that it would seem.

I really don't get all this "only getting a precentage of the fee because the other half as to go towards the players wages" are we not paying the players that we currently have? Surely if warnock is on £30k per week and then we sell him for £7-10m and bring in another player on £30k per week the wage bill hasn't gone up or down and we have £7-10m to spend or is this me being stupid?

Wake up! We have to sell our best assets to survive.

We have found gems before and we will do it again.

I really hope Warnock doesnt have to be sold this summer - he is a big player for us, and he adds that bit of fight to our side. However if he does go then I hope we can get over £10m for him and then find a top midfielder with the money.

People need to realise that Sam so far has signed improvements only....no duds - so lets give him a chance.

"Wake up" but you don't want to sell him either! Make sense!

IF Warnock's sale is on the cards, I wonder if we could afford to sign Salgado AND Robert Huth? I would prefer to keep Warnock there at left-back, but Givet could replace him, leaving two of Huth/Samba/Nelsen for the centre. But like I said, I liked the shape of the defence against City so I wouldn't sell unless it was an irresistible bid and Warnock threw a paddy.

I really don't get all this "only getting a precentage of the fee because the other half as to go towards the players wages" are we not paying the players that we currently have? Surely if warnock is on £30k per week and then we sell him for £7-10m and bring in another player on £30k per week the wage bill hasn't gone up or down and we have £7-10m to spend or is this me being stupid?

If we sold steve yes we could bring in one player and not see it rise, but I could only see sam supporting it if he can get more than one, so the seconds whole contract (i assume) must also be taken into account. Surely Warnocks wages would pay for Salgado, but 30K over 3 years is 4.5M should we see the full 10 million we 'd be lucky to see a 5 million fee.

Archived