BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Does Style Matter?

rover6

Fun but pointless argument.. there is no way in hell we can play stylish passing football and survive.

Take a look around the league, we simply cant compete with half of the teams can you really see us out playing Mikel and Lampard, Masch and Gerrard, fedregas, Ireland and barry or Modric and co.. we can dream but it simply isn't going to happen as we cant simply splash the cash for someone who would allow us to do it.

Style these days is limited to the top teams who can afford the dream players and the pound sign now rules the game.

And coincidently I did not see a huge amount of hoofball on Sat.. maybe thats a good sign or maybe a bad sign of things to come.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If Allardyce had any ambition to improve the midfield he would have made efforts to do so by now. Lest we forget it was on his watch that a bid was turned down for Keith Andrews (and we gave him a contract extension/pay rise).

I'm really puzzled by everyone who deems blistering pace as a necessity for any team trying to pass a football.

All this talk of "using the strengths of the players at his disposal" is nonsense - is it not a little convenient that he has instilled EXACTLY THE SAME APPROACH at every club he's ever managed?

P.S. Ease up on the insults, we're grown-ups.

Spencey 7, the money or the majority of the money HAD to be spent on a striker that was the priority for the type of midfielder Rovers need/want we simply dont have enough funds to bring one in, plus, more importantly, nobody wants the ones we've got to make room for a new lad.

Think your being a bit impatient it will happen spencey7 we just have to wait.

Good topic rover6. Style? What does style actually mean though?

Let's say this. Fans think they want to see attractive, free passing football. They don't. They want to watch players who excite them. it doesn't matter tuppence how those players play the game, if they excite, they will be reverred.

Go back to 1995. Did rovers play total football - no they didn't. Thanks, in no uncertain measure to a certain No 9 though, they fulfilled all our dreams. Who amongst us wanted anything else? Fans don't want football, they want goals. My memories are of players like Shearer and Pickering - they excited the fans. Just as Simon Garner did and David Speedie did.

As for the present Rovers team, who cares? A long as the team scores goals and wins games I will be a happy man. The problem about style only arises when you're losing games. The problems with style only arise when you're playing the long ball game to a bunch of donkeys. It's the players that matter. If they are quality players, the fans will love them.

The problems with style only arise when you're playing the long ball game to a bunch of donkeys. It's the players that matter. If they are quality players, the fans will love them.

So are you in love at the moment den? ;)

I have to say Den's hit the nail on the head.

If we're talking premiership purely, then Its results first, style second without doubt. Points mean prizes at this level.

But that doesn't mean I don't believe that even a club like ours can win more than they lose with style.

What is all this rubbish about style ? Fans want to be entertained - they want to see chances and goals. Though Big Sam has yet to really deliver on goals (well 1) - both games this season have presented plenty of chances and half-chances. Due to the long ball style - we also play a lot of football in the final third - which must be better than passes from left back to right back - and back again.

It would be interesting to compare our Opta stats aganst other teams - I don't actually believe we play much more long ball than other teams - I just think Sam makes best use of our obvious (and increasing) heigh advantage.

It might come to a point where the style affects our ability to win games after these last 2 games. It might be very hard to 'batter' Prem teams into submission and we might have to get the ball down to feet to open up teams. Both games we've played we've had chances on paper but the large majority of them were in a crowded box with a full defence to shoot through.

Good topic rover6. Style? What does style actually mean though?

Let's say this. Fans think they want to see attractive, free passing football. They don't. They want to watch players who excite them. it doesn't matter tuppence how those players play the game, if they excite, they will be reverred.

Go back to 1995. Did rovers play total football - no they didn't. Thanks, in no uncertain measure to a certain No 9 though, they fulfilled all our dreams. Who amongst us wanted anything else? Fans don't want football, they want goals. My memories are of players like Shearer and Pickering - they excited the fans. Just as Simon Garner did and David Speedie did.

As for the present Rovers team, who cares? A long as the team scores goals and wins games I will be a happy man. The problem about style only arises when you're losing games. The problems with style only arise when you're playing the long ball game to a bunch of donkeys. It's the players that matter. If they are quality players, the fans will love them.

Style means having the confidence and technique to be in command of the ball AND the inventiveness to open up the defence with clever play.

I think that I am in the clear minority here in thinking that style matters.

I love Blackburn. But I also love football - perhaps, in a way, more than Blackburn. I first fell in love with football because of the scope for inventive individual skill in a collective game. That's why I loved Matt Jansen and Damien Duff - and why I enjoy watching any skilful player at any club.

I do not expect Blackburn to play total football. However, I just hate the idea that we don't have any really exciting players in our team who might make us play with a bit of flair. Of course, we can pass it around - but we're not going to see any real magic from Diouf, Gamst, Andrews and Co.

You might say that we can't afford skilful players. I disagree. We can - but it takes real guts and managerial skill to accommodate them in a functioning team. I think it's there that many managers kop out.

I love Blackburn. But I also love football - perhaps, in a way, more than Blackburn.

And that I think is why you believe that you are in a minority. Those of us who have spent a lifetime following the Rovers know from bitter experience that the game is about winning. There is no moral high ground in playing well and losing on a regular basis. The Rovers team of 65-66 had some wonderful individuals who could really play the game and yet we were relegated from the First Division with what was then a record low points total. Hoofball with a goal off someone's backside, preferably in the last 90 minutes, that produces a win will send supporters home happy. Yes, on reflection we might think it could have been better but once we look at the results and League table those concerns soon disappear if we are in a healthy position in in the table. For the diehard fans of the Rovers - or indeed, I would argue, any club - results will always come first.

I wouldn't pay to watch hoofball. In the early 90's i got fed up with us launching it to Alan Shearer to the point where I didn't care if he scored. In the end it stopped me going the year we won the Premiership (that and the prawn sandwich brigade). I knew any old bunch of window cleaners and postmen were better than us if they stopped the hoof to big Al and so it proved rather predictably. I spent £800 going to Trelleborgs and I knew the outcome before going. To listen to Dalglish talk nonsense just added to the dispair. Ditto the Champions League the year after.

I've just read this and find it unbelievable so apolgies for the late reply.

My first thought is, is this real? My second thought is, oh my word I think it is!

Search out some old tapes, get an appointment at Specsavers and then get back to us.

Let's not ignore the fact that the Wimbledons of this world weren't successful simply because they played hoofball. They were successful because they had good players as well as a different "style" of playing the game. Rovers wont become successful without having good players, no matter what "style" of football they play.

And that I think is why you believe that you are in a minority. Those of us who have spent a lifetime following the Rovers know from bitter experience that the game is about winning. There is no moral high ground in playing well and losing on a regular basis. The Rovers team of 65-66 had some wonderful individuals who could really play the game and yet we were relegated from the First Division with what was then a record low points total. Hoofball with a goal off someone's backside, preferably in the last 90 minutes, that produces a win will send supporters home happy. Yes, on reflection we might think it could have been better but once we look at the results and League table those concerns soon disappear if we are in a healthy position in in the table. For the diehard fans of the Rovers - or indeed, I would argue, any club - results will always come first.

Spot on PB. 100% agree with that.

Style means having the confidence and technique to be in command of the ball AND the inventiveness to open up the defence with clever play.

I think that I am in the clear minority here in thinking that style matters.

Exactly, and tht is why Rovers cant play with style at the moment, style or total football only matters if you have the players to play that way and at the moment our midfield are not good enough to do that, so we go with the system which suits the squad!!

I think anyone who believes that Sam's teams lack style is badly mistaken. Megson's teams lack style. He removes any traces of flair as if they are an abomination, and fills the team with journeymen grafters. Sam, on the other hand, uses players like Djorkaeff, Okocha, Campo, Hierro, Stelios, within a strong physical framework. He tries to get the best of both worlds, and his sides attack, rather than sitting back with two rows of four. The City game showed me that he is trying to do the same thing here, but it will take time to complete the jigsaw because the club is pretty skint, and he has to wait for players to come along on free transfers, like salgado. He will take players when he can get them, and he will always seek to have a go at the opposition with the players he has at his disposal. He understands the needs for player with footballing talent, and he will pick them up when he can, I reckon.

Sam...uses players like Djorkaeff, Okocha, Campo, Hierro, Stelios, within a strong physical framework.

Bolton were hideous to watch - even with those players in the team. A pretty incredible achievement when you think about it.

I think anyone who believes that Sam's teams lack style is badly mistaken.

It seems an awful lot of people have been duped by this grand media conspiracy... Or maybe they've just seen enough to make their own minds up?

I think anyone who believes that Sam's teams lack style is badly mistaken. Megson's teams lack style. He removes any traces of flair as if they are an abomination, and fills the team with journeymen grafters. Sam, on the other hand, uses players like Djorkaeff, Okocha, Campo, Hierro, Stelios, within a strong physical framework. He tries to get the best of both worlds, and his sides attack, rather than sitting back with two rows of four. The City game showed me that he is trying to do the same thing here, but it will take time to complete the jigsaw because the club is pretty skint, and he has to wait for players to come along on free transfers, like salgado. He will take players when he can get them, and he will always seek to have a go at the opposition with the players he has at his disposal. He understands the needs for player with footballing talent, and he will pick them up when he can, I reckon.

Excellent post, if only more on here were capable of being as objective.

Speaking of which...

Bolton were hideous to watch - even with those players in the team. A pretty incredible achievement when you think about it.

It seems an awful lot of people have been duped by this grand media conspiracy... Or maybe they've just seen enough to make their own minds up?

Probably the same people who thought we were the 'bully boys' in the Hughes era. <_<

I always found Bolton good to watch, especially against the big teams. They played at a pretty high tempo and there was plenty of goalmouth action, then they had players like Okocha and Djorkaeff who were capable of moments of brilliance.

Then you are in a tiny minority. And that is a cold, hard fact.

Well the Bolton fans were very happy watching Bolton under Sam. He instilled a sense of pride, his team always had a go, and gave them some great players to watch. Ask them if they'd have him back, every single one of them would. Personally I like watching arsenal more than any other side in England, for pure footballing pleasure, but it was possible to appreciate the way Bolton played if you could get away from blind hatred of the club! And there are different styles of football that are worth watching, it would be very dull if all teams adopted the same approach. Sam likes brutal defenders, and he likes a target man, but around that he had players with flair too. If he gets it right here, the fans will appreciate it, no question. We have Salgado to look forward to already.

Probably because the easily influenced majority (like yourself) just believe whatever old crap the papers want us to believe.

Which of the following is more likely:

Scenario #1 - People avoided watching Bolton games because they read in the newspapers they were a long-ball side.

or

Scenario #2 - People avoided watching Bolton games because they saw enough with their own eyes (both full games and highlights) to know that these tactics aren't worthy of the name "football".

What's the media's vested interest in taking down Sam Allardyce?

Archived