BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Warnock Or Quality Midfielder

Whether the club take some money and pay off more the bank is irrelevant IMO. At least the cub will be even lesser in debt than before.

You can't take a bank balance on to the pitch. It's quality players we need. Let the trustees worry about the bank.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Warnock, despite the odd moment of madness is a great player, and loosing him will mean we not only loose a very good player, but loose the one place we have real strength in depth. Add in his versitility, and the fact he allows Givet to play centre back and he is a crucial player for us. Make no mistake about it, loosing him will be a massive blow.

However, an even bigger need is for a creative centre mid. And we would still need a back up left back as well, as I don't think Olsson is up for the role. Shorey plus 8 million, I'd reluctantly accept, as Shorey would be a decent back up and my word, we really need a creative centre mid.

Any less money or anything under 7 without Shorey, and it doesn't seem a good deal. A decent left back would probably cost a couple of million, factor in agents fees that might leave 5 million for one centre mid, which may well not be enough for an addition of the quality we need.

Warnock, despite the odd moment of madness is a great player, and loosing him will mean we not only loose a very good player, but loose the one place we have real strength in depth. Add in his versitility, and the fact he allows Givet to play centre back and he is a crucial player for us. Make no mistake about it, loosing him will be a massive blow.

However, an even bigger need is for a creative centre mid. And we would still need a back up left back as well, as I don't think Olsson is up for the role. Shorey plus 8 million, I'd reluctantly accept, as Shorey would be a decent back up and my word, we really need a creative centre mid.

Any less money or anything under 7 without Shorey, and it doesn't seem a good deal. A decent left back would probably cost a couple of million, factor in agents fees that might leave 5 million for one centre mid, which may well not be enough for an addition of the quality we need.

Argh!!! Lose, not loose!!! Pet hate of mine...

It's just speculation at the moment but most rumours suggest Warnock wants to go to Villa and isn't 100% committed to Rovers, if that's the case I don't want him here regardless of bringing anyone in. I don't believe in keeping players who aren't 100% committed to the club, regardless of their ability.

Without the speculation I'd still be in favour of offloading him to bring in a quality central midfield player because at the moment I'm not sure if we have any, N'Zonzi may grow into one and Dunn still has talent when fit but if he wasn't a homegrown lad we'd probably have shipped him out for the second time long ago.

Warnock is a good player but nothing more, I think people often see him with the blue and white tinted glasses on because it's easy to ignore mistakes when in the past he has always given his all and has always been a tryer and eager to make something happen. It's easy to see why he's then seen in such a positive light, by our fans and myself included the majority of the time. He's committed in the tackle but does go to ground easily, 4 out of 5 times he'll win the ball well and it'll look fantastic and get the crowd out of their seats, but the one time it doesn't comes off it leaves him not time to recover and often leads to a golden chance if not a goal.

His positional discipline also lacks at times when we are chasing the game and he seems to take it into his own hands to get forward a little too often. Yes he has a lot of qualities, probably our quickest defender, strong in the tackle, likes to get forward, very determined but defensively he's certainly not better than Givet, in my eyes although you want your fullbacks to attack and support the midfield etc there first job is to defend.

Thank the good Lord for that Ivan! I had read the offending post myself about ten minutes before being sufficiently composed to continue, and then I come to your post and realise I am not the only one. It drives me round the bend as well. There are a fairly large number of posters on this site that make exactly the same mistake, so it is not just a typo or an isolated person who thinks it should be spelt that way.

When added to all the other regularly mis-spelt or misused words, it makes one wonder what the teachers of English in our schools get paid for. What on Earth the foreign contributors on here think of our educational system I dread to think, as the vast majority of their posts are almost always perfect both grammatically and spelling wise.

Thank the good Lord for that Ivan! I had read the offending post myself about ten minutes before being sufficiently composed to continue, and then I come to your post and realise I am not the only one. It drives me round the bend as well. There are a fairly large number of posters on this site that make exactly the same mistake, so it is not just a typo or an isolated person who thinks it should be spelt that way.

When added to all the other regularly mis-spelt or misused words, it makes one wonder what the teachers of English in our schools get paid for. What on Earth the foreign contributors on here think of our educational system I dread to think, as the vast majority of their posts are almost always perfect both grammatically and spelling wise.

Add to that 'of' instead of 'have'.

u aff to just led it go tho. If peeple r on hear posting these things the school system as failed and it's to late!

Am with you guys on that, lose versus loose is a pet peeve of mine.

:blink: Eh? My 'pet' hate are cats that sh1t in my garden! ^_^

It's just speculation at the moment but most rumours suggest Warnock wants to go to Villa and isn't 100% committed to Rovers, if that's the case I don't want him here regardless of bringing anyone in. I don't believe in keeping players who aren't 100% committed to the club, regardless of their ability.

I kind of know where you are coming from but Lucas Neill, Gareth Barry, Christiano Ronaldo and Stevie G amongst others in recent years kind of disprove that theory.

:blink: Eh? My 'pet' hate are cats that sh1t in my garden! ^_^

I kind of know where you are coming from but Lucas Neill, Gareth Barry, Christiano Ronaldo and Stevie G amongst others in recent years kind of disprove that theory.

I think Gerrard has always been fully committed to Liverpool, it seemed to be more the other way around and if Liverpool were committed to him as he said he thought they wanted to sell him to Chelsea and wasn't sure if they were going to offer him a contract, as soon as they did he quickly made his mind up.

Ronaldo is a pretty decent argument but his performances were not up to his usual high standards in the final third of the season which we now know was probably linked to his intent to join Madrid. A lot of Manchester United supporters will tell you his heart wasn't always in it in the last few games.

Gareth Barry doesn't change my opinion, they should have replaced him a year ago when they were offered circa 18m for him from Liverpool. He ended up holding the club to ransom be only staying if they made the CL. They didn't and in the end he moved for a lot less.

Neill perhaps always gave his all but then he'd probably play his heart out for Accrington if they paid him.

I don't think there are too many players that you can honestly say continued to perform to their very best when there heart is not 100% in the club.

I guess anyway when players are as good as Barry, Ronaldo and Gerrard you fight as hard as you can to keep them and with the money they have they can afford to have them unhappy for a few weeks, Warnock may be a good player but even if he stays I'm not sure he gets in the team when everyone is fit (I know that's a very rare occasion), I'd still pick Givet ahead of him and although he's an option for midfield I think we can do better.

It's simply not worth keeping an unhappy player who in my opinion isn't a key player if you can get 8m+ for him.

I think Gerrard has always been fully committed to Liverpool, it seemed to be more the other way around and if Liverpool were committed to him as he said he thought they wanted to sell him to Chelsea and wasn't sure if they were going to offer him a contract, as soon as they did he quickly made his mind up.

Its widely acknowledged in Liverpool that Gerrard himself orchestrated a move to Chelsea which backfired at the last minute.

I know plenty of Liverpool fans who don’t like Gerrard because of this, hence the tag Stevie ME!

Its widely acknowledged in Liverpool that Gerrard himself orchestrated a move to Chelsea which backfired at the last minute.

I know plenty of Liverpool fans who don’t like Gerrard because of this, hence the tag Stevie ME!

Fair enough I stand corrected, my point still stands really, I don't think a club should keep a player that isn't 100% committed to the club. I can see why Liverpool made an exception for Gerrard, he's probably one of a few exceptions that continue to give their all for the club after having their head turned.

If Warnock leaves, we need a new man in there. Two left sided defenders (Givet, Olsson), but only three real central defenders (Samba, Nelsen [injured], Khizanishvili), though we have a lot of right sided defenders (Emerton, Jacobsen, Salgado + Andrews, Reid).

8 million for Warnock doesn't sound too convincing to be honest, depending on SW's wages but we'll be looking at one outlay in defence and then maybe, if someone's available, a good midfielder. Unless Big Sam's got both of them on the phone, I say keep Warnock and play Givet in the centre.

I wouldn't be so sure of this , especially after I heard Allardyce on Radio Lancs this morning. Says Warnocks 'desire' to go to Villa will not happen until the extent of the injury to Nelsen is sorted.

Think so people are being a little naive is respect of this not having any credibility to it. It started last season , after the outspoken Bentley and Friedal left - who stood upto the mantle and became the outspoken one ...

Two minds on this really , as with Paul, I like Warnock and feel he would be severely missed - but I stand with my philosophy of a team being built around a strong back bone and we are desperately in need of good central midfielder (if not x2) who also chips in with goals if possible.

Don't lend an ear to the issue he makes too many mistakes, as for me he is having to cover himself more often than not after doing the work that Pedersen should be doing. He is committed and strong in tackle and his going to ground is a necessity at times and more often wins the tackle, add to that he chips in with goals and has a drive and determination to go forward (quickly) - so severely lacking in most of our team.

Tough call and balnced up with the issue as already mentioned that we only have Olsson as his cover , who is no way good enough at LB and Givet who is our best Centre back being possibly moved to LB. Add this to either player and we are desperately weakened.

Would 8M be enough and more importantly, would it be used for a replacement (s)?

I'm more worried about a gapping hole that could be exploited should Givet shift to left back.

Jacobsen---Samba----Nelsen-----Givet

It looks good, but now with the left sided two we have no pace at all, something that could easily be exposed by a quick winger or some clever tactics.

IF stevie goes, then it must bring enough to sign two, now. I'd take Shorey plus cash, Olsson should be farmed out to gain some experience.

Hi All,

I hope either SA/JW read these boards while he may have had his head turned by Villa I would not take Shorey. I don't think he would be good enough there is only one way this sale would soften the blow of losing an influential player. We should insist on or tell them to do one and play hard ball over warnock. It would solve some of our problems the deal should be 8M + 1 of S.Petrov/Ashley Young/Gabby Agbonlahor if they are so desperate of getting warnock we should insist on getting one of those or we should tell them to do one and not waste our time. If not I would be very disappointed to lose warnock & would lose faith in the board & our manager. Also with Nelsen injured warnock is more important than ever as SA has said.

If Lescott is worth £24m then Warnock should be £12-15m at least. It's a seller's market, there aren't that many good English players around. If Villa want him they should be made to pay, if Warnock is unhappy because he can't go then it's tough on him and I don't believe he's a sulker. I really hope Williams doesn't let Villa take the p!ss on this one. £15m - deal or no deal.

Archived