BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V West Ham

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure any of the tuesday or wednesday games are being shown as they clash with the Champions League. BBC has highlights on wednesday night which may mean they also put up extended highlights for each game a few days later like they're doing with the Football League.

As I was on standy by to do the preview incase 1864 didn't come though (never doubted you mate :P ), I had already approached UpTheJunction from the West Ham forum www.kumb.com about a quick interview. Even though the preview is already up, I've just received his replies so I'll post them for your perusal anyway:-

What your opinion of Gianfranco Zola, a man nobody seems to dislike. He's doing quite well isn't he?

Gianfranco is doing exceptionally well in difficult circumstances.

How are the finances at West Ham nowadays after all the talk of impending financial doom a few months back?

According to our CEO Scott Duxbury who spoke to KUMB.com in an exclusive interview at the end of last season, the club is now completely self-sufficient once again. Whilst the debts incurred by our previous owners (Messrs Gudmundsson and Magnusson) remain, they are now under control - although any money Zola wishes to spend this summer must be generated from player sales (hence the constant hawking of Matthew Upson in the press).

You don't seem to have spent much money on transfers this summer. What do you think of your activity in the transfer market and have any of the players impressed in pre-season.

Our transfer activity this summer has been practically non-existent - as expected. Our one new face in the first team, Luis Jimenez looks to be a bit of a player (well you don't generally play for Inter if you're not). The rest (Daprela, Nouble etc) are just kids and shouldn't be anywhere near the first team squad. We had a pretty poor pre-season although Zavon Hines (20-year-old striker) took his chances well.

Many Rovers fans are angry at Lucas Neill for what they believe is engineering a situation to get as much money as he can for himself regardless of destination. With what has happened this summer, what do you think of him?

Well if he is only in it for the money he's going the wrong way about it, seeing as how he's been out of work since the end of June! He was a good servant to West Ham United whilst he was here although his failure to sign a contract anywhere since does appear to be extremly odd.

I was going to ask about the feeling regarding the upcoming Millwall cup game but the size of the thread on your site tells me all I need to know. Briefly, how much does that game mean to the West Ham fans? Can you afford to lose?

'Wall are our biggest rivals and it's probably one of football's best-known rivalries. It's been going on since the mid 1920s, at least. Can we afford to lose? Well it would be nice to beat them full stop, I think it's been 16 years or so since we last did!

What are your hopes and expectations for this season?

With the top six being a virtual closed shop these days the best we can realistically hope for is 7th place and European qualification. I expect us to finish in or very close to the top ten - assuming we land a striker to complement Carlton Cole by the end of the transfer window.

What are your opinions of Rovers and how do you think we will fare this season?

Now that you have put the Ince fiasco to bed things appear to be looking up - and Allardyce is no mug. Having said that I think you're looking between 12th-15th this season. Sorry!

Are there any notable games between the two clubs in recent or past memory that you have fond or vivid memories of?

One or two! Obviously Zamora's goal at Ewood Park that never was without which we'd have almost certainly been relegated in 06/07. The year before we kicked off the season with a 3-1 win at the Boleyn which set us off nicely for our first season back in the top flight after two years away. Prior to that the FA Cup game that we won on penalties (97/98ish) at EP. Fortunately even I'm too young to remember Boxing Day 1963 ... (Rovers won 8-2 at Upton Park)

And finally, a prediction for the game at Ewood this coming Saturday?

We've had a good run at your place recently so I think we might sneak it by the odd goal, 2-1 perhaps - although I'd settle for a point. Again, a lot depends on what team we put out.

Thanks again to UpTheJunction for taking the time to come back with these answers.

• Backroom
Ah yes, I completely forgot about Elrio. Why haven't we played him in any of the games yet?

When we signed Elrio Sam said he wouldn't play till the second half of the season as he needs to bulk up

Hope that Jack Collison gets a good reception in this game. One of football's good guys. Such a brave lad.

On to the game I think Rovers will win 2-1 (Dunn and N'Zonzi - In reply to Mark Noble's equaliser).

Seconded. The lad has shown incredible bravery.

After reding about the game against the Gills - I would start with this team

Robinson

Salgado (if he is ready) - Samba - Khiz - Givet ©

Nzonzi - Grella

Dunn

Diouf - Kalinic - Pedersen

Subs:

Roberts

Hoilett

Jacobsen

Brown

Andrews

- I wouldnt mess with the two on S in our back four. They will eat you alive.

- We don't have anyone playing LB other than Givet. Olsson isnt ready.

- Khiz is mostly a very stable Central defender.

- Nzonzi and Grella will be a great defensive pairing and will be able to break up WHU attacks.

- Dunn will have the opportunity to bust forward and concentrate mostly on his defensive duties.

I would personally go for this team after seeing the Gills game:

----------------Roberts

-Pedersen-----Dunn-----Diouf

------------Grella----NZonzi

Salgado---Givet©-Samba---Jacobsen

--------------Robinson

Subs: Brown, Zurab, Emerton, Andrews, Hoilett, Kalanic, McCarthy

Bit harsh to stick Salgado straight in at left back but unless Nelsen is fit I don't see the choice. Samba and Zurab are a very shaky combination.

I think there could be quite a lot of mileage in a Dunn-Roberts combination. Grella-NZonzi also looks workable. We need to find a way of getting kalanic's confidence, movement and strength up.

As much as I would like to see Dunny start, I think he needs a bit more time, reports from the game said he faded badly just after the restart, against a fit pacey West Ham MF, IMO, better to give him the last 20 when they are hopefully running out of steam a bit.

As much as I would like to see Dunny start, I think he needs a bit more time, reports from the game said he faded badly just after the restart, against a fit pacey West Ham MF, IMO, better to give him the last 20 when they are hopefully running out of steam a bit.

West Ham won't be 100% after the antics last night, and I think Dunn would benefit us in increasing the tempo of the game. When we take advantage, then we can afford to rest him and bring on someone like Andrews or Grella.

I forgot to add Grella to my bench btw. Switch him with Emerton.

Id play a 4-5-1 and control the midfield with the extra man & extra energy. If we play a defensive midfielder it will allow NZonzi to just sit, and let Dunn bomb forward with our wingers to support the lone man.

---------------Robbo--------------------

Chimbonda--Salgado--Samba--Givet

----------------Grella--------------------

------------NZonzi----Dunn-------------

--Diouf--------------------Gamst-------

----------------McCarthy----------------

For me, the team largely depends on whether or not the Gillingham formation is a permanent fixture or not.

so either:

Robbo

Salgado Samba Zura Givet

Grella Andrews ©

Diouf Dunn Pedersen

Kalinic

working on the basis that neither Dunny or Grella will be fit enough to see out the 90.

or:

Robbo

Salgado Samba Zura Givet

Diouf Andrews © Grella MGP

Roberts McCarthy

For me, the team largely depends on whether or not the Gillingham formation is a permanent fixture or not.

so either:

Robbo

Salgado Samba Zura Givet

Grella Andrews ©

Diouf Dunn Pedersen

Kalinic

working on the basis that neither Dunny or Grella will be fit enough to see out the 90.

N'Zonzi will start for certain i think

i will go for

Robinson

Salgado Chimbonda Samba Givet

Diouf N'Zonzi Grella Gamst

Dunn

Kalinc or Roberts

Id play a 4-5-1 and control the midfield with the extra man & extra energy. If we play a defensive midfielder it will allow NZonzi to just sit, and let Dunn bomb forward with our wingers to support the lone man.

---------------Robbo--------------------

Chimbonda--Salgado--Samba--Givet

----------------Grella--------------------

------------NZonzi----Dunn-------------

--Diouf--------------------Gamst-------

----------------McCarthy----------------

so either:

Robbo

Salgado Samba Zura Givet

Grella Andrews ©

Diouf Dunn Pedersen

Kalinic

or:

Robbo

Salgado Samba Zura Givet

Diouf Andrews © Grella MGP

Roberts McCarthy

This is a very big game, points wise, I just don't see Sam starting anyone who has not got 90 minutes under his belt, better to start with players that can complete the game plan/tactics, then introduce Dunne Etc as needed.

With hughset's team if Salgado was to start, start him at RB with Chimbonda in the CB role, Salgado does not have the height for me to play CD.(5' 81/2")

Archived