BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers 2009 Best Xi

Balwer

So with the International break Rovers are expected to have a fully fit lineup when we play Wolves in two weeks time.

Assuming that happens, who is your XI to play them?

For me:

-------------------------Robinson----------------------------

Salgado-----------Samba------Givet------------Chimbonda

Emerton-----------Grella-------Dunn------------Pedersen

-------------------Kalinic-------Di Santo--------------------

Brown, Nelsen, Jacobsen, N'Zonzi, Hoilett, Roberts, McCarthy

Jacobsen and Nelsen are unlucky but Givet is our best CB and Salgado is Salgado.

My other lineup would be:

-------------------------Robinson-------------------------------

Jacobsen-----------Samba------Givet------------Chimbonda

---------------------------Salgado------------------------------

------------Emerton----------------------Pedersen------------

---------------------------Dunn---------------------------------

-------------------Kalinic-------Di Santo-----------------------

Grella obviously moves to the subs bench for Jacobsen in this lineup but same 18.

In a tough away game you might be inclined to swap Kalinic for Grella and play a similar formation to today.

Personally I am inclined to opt for the second option, all dependent on how Salgado fares.

Thoughts?

..................Robinson

Salgado Samba Givet Chimbonda

............Emerton Grella

...Diouf ....... Dunn .... Pedersen

...................Kalinic

If we're struggling for bodies going forward then I'd bring on McCarthy 'in the hole' and reshuffle the midfield.

-------------------------Robinson----------------------------

Salgado-----------Samba------Givet------------Chimbonda

Emerton-----------N'Zonzi-------Dunn------------Pedersen

-------------------Kalinic-------Di Santo--------------------

Subs: Brown, Nelsen, Jacobsen, Grella, Hoilett, Van Heerden, McCarthy

Just a couple of changes from the OP's line-up.

• Backroom

Givet

Givet Givet Givet Givet

Givet Givet Givet Givet

Givet Givet

Failing that:

Robbo

Diouf Emerton Dunn Pedersen

Kalinic Hoilett

......................Robinson

Salgado.......Samba.......Givet.......Chimbonda

..........Grella.............NZonzi

Emerton..............................Pedersen

..............Kalinic.......di Santo

subs: Dunn, Hoilett, McCarthy, Roberts, Brown, Nelsen and Diouf.

It allows protection for the back 4 in Grella. It allows NZonzi to back up both Emo and MGP as well as supporting both Kalinic and di Santo.

The subs on show allow a change of formation to go 4-4-2 or alternatively 4-5-1/3-5-2 or a 4-1-3-2.

Plenty of options, back up in midfield and the forward positions as well as defence.

Salgado.......Samba.......Givet.......Chimbonda

..........Grella.............NZonzi

Emerton..............................Pedersen

..............Kalinic.......di Santo

subs: Dunn, Hoilett, McCarthy, Roberts, Brown, Nelsen and Diouf.

It allows protection for the back 4 in Grella. It allows NZonzi to back up both Emo and MGP as well as supporting both Kalinic and di Santo.

The subs on show allow a change of formation to go 4-4-2 or alternatively 4-5-1/3-5-2 or a 4-1-3-2.

Plenty of options, back up in midfield and the forward positions as well as defence.

Two spear carriers ( Grella, Nzonzi ) in centre midfield, we need one of them to be able to get beyond the front two. Those two find it hard to get beyond the halfway line.

Away:

Robbo

Salegdo Samba Givet Chimbonda

Emerton Grella

Diouf Dunn Pedersen

Kalinic

Not a bad formation if you can get a better striker then Roberts as the lone striker, and having Diouf and Emerton will mean a lot more support coming in for the front man. You could even swap round Dunn and Emerton's positions.

Home:

Robbo

Salegdo Samba Givet Chimbonda

Emerton Grella/Dunn*

Diouf Pedersen

Benni Kalinic

* Depending upon whether was are against quality opposition or a team we are expected to beat. Against a tougher team, I'd start with Grella to keep it tight, then bring on Dunn when they tire. Against weaker teams start Dunn and really go for the victory.

robinson

salgado samba givet chimbonda

nzonzi

diouf pederson

dunn

holliet kalanic

i thought today when holliet and kalanic were togther they were more off a threat, holliet looks like the makings off a real good player and he got age on his side , the side ive named has a mix off experience and off youth ,which makes a good blend for a good team.

I'm not quite sure to be honest. For a first time in a while we have options across the park. I don't even know what our best formation would be at present so it's tough to speculate on the best XI.

I know Pedersen and Roberts wouldn't sniff the pitch though. Perhaps, barring the inevitable injury to Dunn:

Salgado.....Samba.....Givet.....Chimbonda

........................Grella

Emerton............Dunn.............Diouf

.............Di Santo.......Kalinic

I'm not quite sure to be honest. For a first time in a while we have options across the park. I don't even know what our best formation would be at present so it's tough to speculate on the best XI.

I know Pedersen and Roberts wouldn't sniff the pitch though. Perhaps, barring the inevitable injury to Dunn:

Salgado.....Samba.....Givet.....Chimbonda

........................Grella

Emerton............Dunn.............Diouf

.............Di Santo.......Kalinic

I like it, same as mine but Diouf for Pedersen. With Emo back we have that option.

-------------------------------------Son of Robin--------------------------------

Son of Jacob--------Samba Dancer-------The Dauphin-----------The Chimera

-----------------------------Emo------------Tall Insomnia-------------------------

Not Toilet------------------------Dunn Being Injured------------------Son of Ols

---------------------------General Franco Anti-Da Santa Cruz--------------------

Bench: Private Fielding, Zurab of Redwall Abbey, Vince Grellatape, Aaron Doran Scorin', Forrest Gamst, Reidy Steady-Wait-Injured, Nikola Kalinic

Controversies/weaknesses:

- Use of stupid names (but that was just to make it different...)

- No classy visionary in CM. Perhaps, Salgado may take a place there. But is he a visionary? Vincenzo Grella? Andrews? Not convinced. Let Emo and Tall Insomnia enfold a partnership. Perhaps, their dedication and athleticism can overcome their fear of finding the eye of a needle.

- Forrest Gamst dropped for Son of Ols. Sorry, I can't stand the Norway guy after so many stinky showings and that dive that violated my human rights. He's too immobile and too well ensconced in our team. He's like our Simon Cowell. Too much!!!

- General Franco is our only target man, so must start despite being more acquainted with our treatment table and physio's palms than the Rovers shirt.

- The Dauphin is Givet obviously.

- No Spit? Can't stand the guy - as a player or person. Put him in his behemoth supervehicle, crank up the rave music or whatever and send him away, please.

i am an old traditionalist and i prefer my football 4-4-2 (sounds like mike bassett) with players in their correct positions and a mix of youth and experience

robinson

salgado

samba

nelsen

olsson

emerton

n'zonzi

dunn

pedersen

mccarthy

kalinic

i am an old traditionalist and i prefer my football 4-4-2 (sounds like mike bassett) with players in their correct positions and a mix of youth and experience

robinson

salgado

samba

nelsen

olsson

emerton

n'zonzi

dunn

pedersen

mccarthy

kalinic

No Givet in your team who is our best defender by a country mile and you have Olsson instead who cant defend for toffee. Sheesh you've never seen Rovers live have you!!

-------------------Robbo----------------------

Chimbonda------Nelsen--Samba------Givet

--------------------Salgardo-------------------

Diouf--------------Emo--------------Pederson

-----------Kalinic--------Roberts-------------

Subs:

Brown

Zurab

Reid

Dunn

B Mc

Franco

Hoilett

..................Robinson

............Emerton Grella

...Diouf ....... Dunn .... Pedersen

...................Kalinic

If we're struggling for bodies going forward then I'd bring on McCarthy 'in the hole' and reshuffle the midfield.

I would go for that but swap Diouf for Hoilett as we need the pace and he looks very good.

Also sceptical that Salagado will be any better than Jacobsen who is excellent.

If everyone was fit the bench for the above side would read: Brown, Jacobson, Andrews, Diouf, McCarthy, Roberts, Di Santo

NZonzi and Nelsen probs wouldn't even make the bench.... we do have a very strong squad this year, injuries permitting. Plus there is Reid to come back.

-----------------Robinson------------------

-Jacobsen--Samba--Givet--Chimbonda-

------------Salgado-----Grella------------

--Hoilett---------Dunn--------Pedersen--

------------------Roberts------------------

Subs:

Brown

Nelsen

Andrews

N'zonzi

Emerton

McCarthy

Di Santo

Quite funny how pretty much everyone has chosen Salgado over the excellent Jacobsen without even seeing him play.

I thought that too, but I imagine he will be in the team once fit and I see him as a Tugay replacement rather than a Jacobsen one.

After all the doom mongering on here over the pre-season, I had a look at our squad and noticed this:

1st XI

GK - Robinson

RB - Jacobsen

CB - Nelsen

CB - Samba

LB - Givet

RM - Diouf

CM - Dunn

CM - Grella

LM - Pedersen

FW - Roberts

FW - Kalinic

2nd XI

GK - Brown

RB - Salgado

CB - Chimbonda

CB - Zurab

LB - Olsson

RM - Emerton

CM - N'Zonzi

CM - Reid

LM - Hoilet

FW - Benni

FW - Di Santo

Unused: Andrews, Doran, van Heerden...

That looks like a pretty good squad to me. I reckon even the 2nd XI is better than some of the teams we'll come up against this season.

We're not going to struggle this year. In fact, with a squad like that we should be pushing for top half of the table.

Tin hat time...

Archived