BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Big Sam's Big Match Targets

Stuart

I think big sam will suprise us all this season it seems his tactics are better suited to taking points of the big 4 and this is possibly were we will get a lot of points this year.

You think we will get a lot of points against the top 4 this year?!

I would like that to happen but sadly I cannot see it.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think big sam will suprise us all this season it seems his tactics are better suited to taking points of the big 4 and this is possibly were we will get a lot of points this year.

I truely hope you're right but I can't see it myself

I always liked Sparky's approach of taking groups of games and setting points targets for those.

That said, after the West Ham yawn, the game against Wolvces is go ing to be a big test both for the Manager and the crowd. Wolves will be packing defense and playing on the break so unless Bert mk 3 comes out of the blocks like Bert mk 1 did all those years ago, there could be more unrest.

Of course, Sam's make or break will be the dingles game. Lose that and the crowd will never forgive him (and it is no disgrace to be outfoxed by OC- many big names have been in the last 12 months). A romping win against the dingles and hopefully a lot of this residual anti-Sam stuff can be laid to rest.

I always liked Sparky's approach of taking groups of games and setting points targets for those.

That said, after the West Ham yawn, the game against Wolvces is go ing to be a big test both for the Manager and the crowd. Wolves will be packing defense and playing on the break so unless Bert mk 3 comes out of the blocks like Bert mk 1 did all those years ago, there could be more unrest.

Of course, Sam's make or break will be the dingles game. Lose that and the crowd will never forgive him (and it is no disgrace to be outfoxed by OC- many big names have been in the last 12 months).A romping win against the dingles and hopefully a lot of this residual anti-Sam stuff can be laid to rest.

We have played these games mid october. We sound like Newcastle fans.

Sams plan - beat the bottom 9-10 clubs, anything else is a bonus.

I find that very depressing!

Thats the plan.

Say we are 10th.

10 bottom teams - 60pts on offer - Win just 13 of these 20 games and that is 39pts to start with = SAFE from relegation

That then leaves another 18 games against the 9 top teams - 54 pts on offer

We have played these games mid october. We sound like Newcastle fans.

Losing to Burnley is a nightmare, doesn't mean the fans will call for him to be sacked, but losing to that lot is unforgivable. :brfc:

Thats the plan.

Say we are 10th.

10 bottom teams - 60pts on offer - Win just 13 of these 20 games and that is 39pts to start with = SAFE from relegation

That then leaves another 18 games against the 9 top teams - 54 pts on offer

With this logioc surely we would be about 17th not 10th?

So who are these ten bottom teams we are referring to?

By the comments on here I would suggest that Wet Spam and Sunderland would be categorised in the bottom x10 there - both of who we have failed to beat.

So by that reckoning we have to make the points up somewhere if it is Sams plan as such to target matches.

If last season is to go by, and the theory we are not good enough to compete with the ususal top 4 so don't bother - who are the teams/ games that the points are going to be made up against.

Its a ridiculous and dangerous game to play - we should be going out to win every game - especially at home.

So who are these ten bottom teams we are referring to?

By the comments on here I would suggest that Wet Spam and Sunderland would be categorised in the bottom x10 there - both of who we have failed to beat.

So by that reckoning we have to make the points up somewhere if it is Sams plan as such to target matches.

If last season is to go by, and the theory we are not good enough to compete with the ususal top 4 so don't bother - who are the teams/ games that the points are going to be made up against.

Its a ridiculous and dangerous game to play - we should be going out to win every game - especially at home.

Fortress Ewood has always been important to me Capt but listening to Messrs Alardyce & Hughes, they both set 'targets' for batches of games - not sure I agree with the message this sends out to players? I wonder what the policy is at Stoke or Liverpool for that matter?

Sam outlined his plan clearly to Salgado - "Beat the bottom 10 teams" and anything else therefore is a bonus.

Do you ever think about what you're posting or do you just have to exptress an opinion, party line of course, on everything?

I don't think its a matter of Big Sam not wanting to win every game. Who wouldn't? It's a matter of resources. Do you play a fit Dunn against Chelski or do you save him for the Wolves, working under the assumption that Dunn is good for about 15-20 games a season. Targeting games does not mean not trying to win against the top ten clubs. It means using our aging and injury prone stars to maximum effect, i.e. where we are more likely to get points.

And I personally think we are a pretty solid team. Our younger, more fit, though maybe less experienced players will get points off the top ten, even as we ease in the Emertons, Dunns and Reids of the squad back into the game. And I am looking forward to Salgado/Samba/Chimbonda/insert defender of your choice destroying the offense of Chelsea, Arsenal, Man U, and Liverpool.

Do you ever think about what you're posting or do you just have to exptress an opinion, party line of course, on everything?

No :rolleyes:

Well we budgetted for 13th - so lets say bottom 9.

Makes common sense to me -

Beat the following teams - Wolves, Wigan, Hull, Bolton, Burnley, Pompey, Stoke, Fulham, Brum. (0/54 Available)

Pick up points/ bonus wins against the next 4 or 5 - Sunderland, West Ham, Villa, Everton, Spurs (1/30 available)

Tough to get anything - so bonus if we do - City, Arsenal, Liverpool, United, Chelsea (0/30 available)

Beat the following teams - Wolves, Wigan, Hull, Bolton, Burnley, Pompey, Stoke, Fulham, Brum. (3/54 Available)

Pick up points/ bonus wins against the next 4 or 5 - Sunderland, West Ham, Villa, Everton, Spurs (1/30 available)

Tough to get anything - so bonus if we do - City, Arsenal, Liverpool, United, Chelsea (0/30 available)

• 3 weeks later...

Beat the following teams - Wolves, Wigan, Hull, Bolton, Burnley, Pompey, Stoke, Fulham, Brum. (3/54 Available)

Pick up points/ bonus wins against the next 4 or 5 - Sunderland, West Ham, Villa, Everton, Spurs (4/30 available)

Will be interesting to see how the next 3 away games go....

• 3 weeks later...

After today's game, no-one can tell me that Sam doesn't target matches.

Injuries, swine flu, whatever the excuse for the team he sent out. There was only one player up for this match - Robbo. And that's because he knew he'd be getting plenty of practice.

Btw, Hughsey, you are still on track...

Beat the following teams - Wolves, Wigan, Hull, Bolton, Burnley, Pompey, Stoke, Fulham, Brum. (6/6 of 54 Available)

Pick up points/ bonus wins against the next 4 or 5 - Sunderland, West Ham, Villa, Everton, Spurs (4/12 of 30 available)

Tough to get anything - so bonus if we do - City, Arsenal, Liverpool, United, Chelsea (0/9 of 30 available)

Its exactly as I said it would be.....I know exactly what Sam's targets are...based on a conversation he had with a player - and overheard by someone.

• 2 weeks later...

Beat the following teams - Wolves, Wigan, Hull, Bolton, Burnley, Pompey, Stoke, Fulham, Brum. (6/6 of 54 Available)

Pick up points/ bonus wins against the next 4 or 5 - Sunderland, West Ham, Villa, Everton, Spurs (4/12 of 30 available)

Tough to get anything - so bonus if we do - City, Arsenal, Liverpool, United, Chelsea (0/12 of 30 available)

So the next phase of the season is now vital. 10 games, 7 in the targetted as winnable games (2 at home), 1 in the 'nothing expected' category, 2 in the bonus category (Both at home). The key to the next phase I feel is to win the home games, and not lose away from home, picking up a couple of away wins too. 20 Points from the next 10 would be good.

November

7 Portsmouth (H)

21 Bolton (A)

24 Fulham (A)

28 Stoke (H)

December

5 Liverpool (H)

12 Hull (A)

15 Birmingham (A)

19 Tottenham (H)

26 Wigan (A)

28 Sunderland (H)

So the next phase of the season is now vital. 10 games, 7 in the targetted as winnable games (2 at home), 1 in the 'nothing expected' category, 2 in the bonus category (Both at home). The key to the next phase I feel is to win the home games, and not lose away from home, picking up a couple of away wins too. 20 Points from the next 10 would be good.

November

7 Portsmouth (H)

21 Bolton (A)

24 Fulham (A)

28 Stoke (H)

December

5 Liverpool (H)

12 Hull (A)

15 Birmingham (A)

19 Tottenham (H)

26 Wigan (A)

28 Sunderland (H)

Liverpool are poor of late and hopefully that will last just long enough. Spurs also blow hot and cold on occasion, so I'd be going all out to win all those wherever possible!!

Archived