BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Playstation 3

I was just wondering if any of our overseas members have had chance to see or have a go on the new PS3? What do you think of it? I couldnt find another playstation thread although there probably is one! Just merge it or something!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was just wondering if any of our overseas members have had chance to see or have a go on the new PS3? What do you think of it? I couldnt find another playstation thread although there probably is one! Just merge it or something!

They look like a space age bread bin. ;)

Well MotorStorm came out today. I hope to go after work today or tomorrow and get it. I've just been waiting and waiting for any half-decent game to come out. The MotorStorm demo was pretty sweet so I'll see how the real thing holds up.

It will never be able to match xbox live because of the fact that the xbox has established a hardcore online community that playstation will never be able to catch up on. The playstation may well be able to beat the 360 on every other feature (I'm not saying that it will but it is quite possible), but in terms online gameplay the 360 will always come out the winner.

It will never be able to match xbox live because of the fact that the xbox has established a hardcore online community that playstation will never be able to catch up on. The playstation may well be able to beat the 360 on every other feature (I'm not saying that it will but it is quite possible), but in terms online gameplay the 360 will always come out the winner.

Pah! We shall see

LET THE BATTLE COMMENCE

Saw someone playing a great Formula One game in the shopping centre in Chatswood (Sydney) this afternoon. The graphics were amazing but I'm not sure if I'll get one.

I'll probably never leave the house if I do!

Mine should be here on launch day.

I think I am getting Resistance: Fall of Man, Call of Duty 3 and Motorstorm with it.

Anyone any ideas how good these games are? I will admit now I am looking forward to Singstar with the downloads idea. Also GTHD and the next GTA!

Need to get a HDMI cable though - apparently they are only £1.99 at Sainsburys...

Guest Kamy100
2 on pre-order now, cant wait!!

Cool, however if you are thinking of selling one on ebay then don't bother as you will end up making a loss, Sony have managed to get their supply channels spot on.

Guest Kamy100
Mine should be here on launch day.

I think I am getting Resistance: Fall of Man, Call of Duty 3 and Motorstorm with it.

Anyone any ideas how good these games are? I will admit now I am looking forward to Singstar with the downloads idea. Also GTHD and the next GTA!

Need to get a HDMI cable though - apparently they are only £1.99 at Sainsburys...

Resistance and Motorstorm look awesome. I played COD3 on the 360 and it was mighty impressive. The other 2 stand out games at launch for me are Virtua Fighter 5 and Virtua Tennis 3, however the only downside with both of these titles is that you can't play online with them.

I bought the HDMI cable below:

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronic...le/Product.html

It's selling seriously badly in the US and Japan, so I'm pretty sure they're going to have to make significant price cuts before the end of the year. For that reason, I'd hold off on buying a PAL console, especially at £425 (it's about £300 in Japan!)

US sales figures for February:

DS 485,000

Wii 335,000

PS2 295,000

X360 228,000

PSP 176,000

GBA 136,000

PS3 127,000

GC 24,000

Japanese sales figures for Jan and Feb combined:

DS 1,376,562

Wii 745,502

PSP 437,502

PS3 218,725

PS2 80,683

X360 62,010

If nobody's buying the thing then nobody's ever going to make the great software that makes it worth buying in the first place. I mean, the only things selling worse than PS3 in the US are Gamecube and the original Xbox, both of which have been discontinued. There are no supply problems either - you can pick one up anywhere. Sony can't afford it to bomb, so they'll drop the price. Wait a while, unless you're rich!

Cool, however if you are thinking of selling one on ebay then don't bother as you will end up making a loss, Sony have managed to get their supply channels spot on.

How many times have I heard that? Especially from Sony. Everywhere will be sold out for ages. Ebay prices will rocket, believe me. Sony couldn't organise a ###### up in a brewery.

Guest Kamy100
How many times have I heard that? Especially from Sony. Everywhere will be sold out for ages. Ebay prices will rocket, believe me. Sony couldn't organise a ###### up in a brewery.

But this time it is not going to happen. 6 days from launch and you can still pre-order your PS3 and have it guranteed for launch day, all the big sites (amazon, play.com, gameplay) have availability as do high street retailers such as GAME, HMV and Virgin, you should be able to walk into a store on launch day and pick one up. The 360 and Wii were sold out well before launch day, the main reason for this was that they only had 50,000 units for launch in the UK, the PS3 will have 220,000 for launch in the UK.

But this time it is not going to happen. 6 days from launch and you can still pre-order your PS3 and have it guranteed for launch day, all the big sites (amazon, play.com, gameplay) have availability as do high street retailers such as GAME, HMV and Virgin, you should be able to walk into a store on launch day and pick one up. The 360 and Wii were sold out well before launch day, the main reason for this was that they only had 50,000 units for launch in the UK, the PS3 will have 220,000 for launch in the UK.

And the fact they haven't sold out in pre-orders and they will be hitting the shelves will be a big concern for Sony.

I'd love to get one but £425 without games is just far far too much money for a games console. Think I'll give it 6 months to a year.

It's region free, so if you can get a cheaper import on Ebay then maybe that's the way to go. The Euro version is crippled too, in so far as it uses an emulator (like the 360) for playing PS2 games. The original US and Japanese machines have an actual PS2 chip in them, so you don't have to wait for Sony to update the emulator to support your favourite PS2 title.

It's region free, so if you can get a cheaper import on Ebay then maybe that's the way to go. The Euro version is crippled too, in so far as it uses an emulator (like the 360) for playing PS2 games. The original US and Japanese machines have an actual PS2 chip in them, so you don't have to wait for Sony to update the emulator to support your favourite PS2 title.

But Sony do reckon that over 1200 PS2 titles will be supported by launch (with a new downloadable firmware) which is pretty good. Just like with the 360, that power of the console is such that you don't need the hardware on board. Shame Sony didn't realise that before spending far too much money putting it in and then effectively making the EU version look crippled upon deciding to take it out.

Also, I thought that even though the games were region free, blu-ray films aren't which means you could only buy US disks for it (and DVD for that matter)

People always talk about being backwards compatable but when they see the new games the old ones are often forgotten, so it doesnt really matter a great deal.

I agree, I only played pes5 on my xbox360, that stopped once pes6 out. Although I can see if you were a final fantasy fan, you'd want to be able to play it still.

I was under the impression that launch day allocation is nearing a sell out, and several stores aren't actually stating thier customers will get a ps2 on launch day any more, merely that preorders are still being taken. A couple of places in town have ommitted the 'launch day guarentee' on thier displays...

Either way - it wouldn't surprise me if the ps3 was going for more than market value on ebay, seeing as how most things on there are!

Archived