454 members have voted

1. 1. The Squad is......

• Much Stronger
    • Slightly Stronger
    • The Same
    • Slightly Weaker
    • Much Weaker
    • Grooby should have been sold

We were paying Diouf and Givet last season though, so that's not a new cost we've taken on this summer. Maybe a little bit extra depending on how the deal with Givet was set up...I can't imagine us giving him much of a rise on his Marseille contract though, wasn't that rumoured to be about £35k a week anyway?

Well I am really looking at both windows to be honest, if we wanted to nit pick Derbs left in January too so he is of the balance sheet then too.

As far as Givet goes I am sure we would of given him a rise! Sam would have been absolutely desperate to tie him down due to his quality.

A week on Saturday should see Rovers with a full squad available. The team sheet should make interesting reading.....

Yup. If thats true Sam will have available just about every different type of player in just about every different position. It will be facinating to see how he lines them up and who plays where.

You cannot deny there is an excellent balance between youth and experience.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Untill I see that in black and white I will refuse to believe it.

Because you feel that is too much and that we would have to have been criminally insane to pay him that amount (because the figure must be based on wages) in the first place?

I doubt you will ever see it in black and white as I feel matters pertaining to this situation (and money in general) will have the transparency of a brick.

What's your point? That you won't support a team who cannot fight for a title or CL? You better start supporting Arsenal, Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool, or as an outside bet City or Tottenham.

The other 90 teams in the football league will be of little interest to you.

My point is you're being being led around by your Joey Big nose. I would never choose to support another club, but I'm not about to let the Trustees lead me around. The days of the supporters buying even one bit of that "keeping the powder dry" bullshit are over. All of my other clubs (in other sports), all of whom I have supported since early childhood (the early 70s) have had good seasons and bad (some really bad), but they always TRY to win........everything! That's the point of sports.

I realize the Trustees find themselves in a position they don't like: stuck owning a football club they don't want in a competition whose rules and costs they can't control. But that's the way it is, so get on with it. If they want to hang the club out to dry, fine. Jack's money is under their control now, they can do what they want. I am not, however, subsidizing it with my money. Sell the club or start buying some players. Until then I'm am an inactive supporter, relatively speaking. You can question my integrity or color yourself a better supporter than me because you're willing to buy the club's latest line of crap all you want.

Oh.... there are only 85 other clubs in the League...... and you're right, they don't interest me.

Personally - I think the absence of a further signing was more about the wage bill than transfer fees. The juggling that has gone on - it is obvious that the board are trying to tighten up the wage bill (as promised).

If Benni or Zurab could have been moved on - I am sure moves would have been made to address central midfield.

Overall - gotta be seen as a good window. At least we have some players of promise to replace players either injured or too old.

Like-with-like end of the window now versus end of the window last year, I am not sure we are stronger at all. Maybe a bit better in defence; midfield N'zonzi for Tugay is a backwards step; up front 2 untried kids - 1 of whom might be off in Jan - versus RSC and Derbs - if I had a choice I would take RSC and Derbs everytime.

Like-with-like end of the window now versus end of the window last year, I am not sure we are stronger at all. Maybe a bit better in defence; midfield N'zonzi for Tugay is a backwards step; up front 2 untried kids - 1 of whom might be off in Jan - versus RSC and Derbs - if I had a choice I would take RSC and Derbs everytime.

Really? RSC who hardly played or scored last season and is currently injured and Derbyshire who wasnt good enough to start any games vs Kalinic, Hoillet, Van Heerden, Di Santo. Yes they're unproven but they can hardly do any worse then a Paraguayan who barely played and a local lad who couldnt make an impact unless he came off the bench.

Nzonzi for Tugay? He wasnt replacing Tugay. Read Nzonzi for Mokoena and then think about it.

Really? RSC who hardly played or scored last season and is currently injured and Derbyshire who wasnt good enough to start any games vs Kalinic, Hoillet, Van Heerden, Di Santo. Yes they're unproven but they can hardly do any worse then a Paraguayan who barely played and a local lad who couldnt make an impact unless he came off the bench.

Nzonzi for Tugay? He wasnt replacing Tugay. Read Nzonzi for Mokoena and then think about it.

You missed my point - this time last year RSC wasn't knackered and we were all expecting 20 goals from him. This year there will be players we expect great things from who will also get knackered and contribute nothing. If Di Santo is out till mid Oct and goes back to Chelsea in Jan, he'll be lucky to play 6 games and score 2 goals!

And who replaced Tugay in your 'think about it' world? A fullback who has never played there in his life versus a 90 cap Turkish legend?

Sam said it himself that he has taken a risk by going for youth in Kalinic and Di Santo (albeit he is on loan).

We will require some luck and also key players to stay clear of injuries, otherwise it could be rocky times ahead this season sadly....it is always going to be very difficult when you have little money and are also trying to slash the wage bill.

You missed my point - this time last year RSC wasn't knackered and we were all expecting 20 goals from him. This year there will be players we expect great things from who will also get knackered and contribute nothing. If Di Santo is out till mid Oct and goes back to Chelsea in Jan, he'll be lucky to play 6 games and score 2 goals!

And who replaced Tugay in your 'think about it' world? A fullback who has never played there in his life versus a 90 cap Turkish legend?

Ok so who could have replaced Tugay then? There arent many players out there who could do what Tugay did. If he had been 6/7 years younger he'd be at Barcelona, not Blackburn. A tugay replacement would have cost a fortune so I can understand the sense in keeping faith in one of Dunn/Emerton/Reid to stay fit and partner Nzonzi/Grella in midfield, instead of spending £10m plus on a creative demon to fill Tugay's boots.

The point about RSC is this: is he worth £17m? no. Is it therefore in the club's best interests to sell him considering he hardly played last season and that he is currently still injured..? Yes. Is Kalinic a decent replacement? too early to tell but to better Roque from last season wont be hard. I agree that we cant expect 20 goals from Kalinic this season but he's much younger than Roque and has alot more potential for the long run.

'This year there will be players we expect great things from who will also get knackered and contribute nothing' - What sort of argument is that?

Missing the point about Di Santo. It is a year's loan with an option for Chelsea to bring him back if he is doing well in Jan. Therefore if he has only played 6 games and scored twice i doubt they'll be bringing him back to Stamford Bridge too quickly.

If - as the recent "spin" emanating from the club suggests - Rovers are a financial no-hoper, why were the Trustees asking for £40m or whatever as the selling price little more than 12 months ago? Now the market has turned and even "big clubs" are finding buyers elusive. The Trustees were greedy and are now lumbered. I disagree that the club is stronger for this summer's trading. Some of the players brought in have no resale value (Salgado, Jacobsen, Chimbonda) but very high wages. I just don't see where the goals are going to come from as the main two (Kalinic and Franco) have never scored a single goal at this level, Roberts is the proverbial banjo/cow's arse and Benni's occasional goal/penalty is little compensation for playing with an immobile passenger. The lack of midfield creativity is scary and if it all depends on Dunny's fitness..... we're doomed.

There arent many players out there who could do what Tugay did. If he had been 6/7 years younger he'd be at Barcelona, not Blackburn.

6/7 years ago he was at Blackburn.... :rolleyes:

The lack of midfield creativity is scary and if it all depends on Dunny's fitness..... we're doomed.

Irrespective of his fitness, he's a good championship player...not the answer to our midfield problems...Salgado will play the Tugay roll well... ;)

You're right Timmy, it was a bit of a daft comment really.

BOB IN DAFT COMMENT SHOCKER! :o Who'd have thought it!

_____

Overall we're probably a little stronger as we actually have some fit players, but then again most of the teams in and around us last season are much stronger (Stoke, S'land etc...)

A disappointing window as a investment in a creative central midfielder was desperate and now I'm praying a combination of Reid, Dunny, Emo, Salgardo and Nzonzi can pull us out of a big hole.

Cant understand some of the signings at all.

Hope I'm proven wrong, but will support the team whichever 11 are put out.

Recession Recession Recession!!! Yes i said it 3 times just so it hits home to some of you clowns on here. Times are hard and theres no denying so why should we gamble the future of our club on excessive wages and transfer fees. I'd like to see some of you gamble £500 to make a grand and then go home crying to your family after failing to feed your kids for the day. The reality is BRFC is like any other business at the minute struggling to make ends meet and by paying off most of our debt will stand us in good stead for the future when we need to borrow money again. Stop bleating about how badly we are being treated and face reality 17th place whether you like it or not safeguards our premier league future for another season and for me anything above that is a bonus. We'd all have loved the Crouch and Bent stories to be true but they are on £60-70000 a week as if we could afford that!! Work it out on an annual basis and you'll know i'm right. As for now accept reality and not dream world even the big 4 haven't spent big as their having debts called in left right and centre. The bubbles burst money wise apart from citeh (who for all the money in the world cant attract the top players) Either face reality a premier league club doing it the right way or fantasy land gamble every last quid and do a Leeds United!! I know where i'd rather be!!

Some of the players brought in have no resale value (Salgado, Jacobsen, Chimbonda) but very high wages. I just don't see where the goals are going to come from as the main two (Kalinic and Franco) have never scored a single goal at this level,

High wages? I don't know where you can find information about how much a person gets paid, but if you know where please enlighten me.

Salgado = Tugay replacement (younger and on a free, with the same quality)

Jacobsen = Ooijer replacement (on a free, younger, same quality again)

Chimbonda = Warnock replacement, plus can play anywhere across the back 4 (1.5 mil?)

I don't think we need resale values for these players. They were brought in to bolster the squad and inject it with some experience. The younger players bought do have re-sale value however.

N'zonzi = great replacement for Mokoena (looks like lots of potential and re-sale value)

Di Santo = great temporary replacement for Derbyshire (lots of potential again and physio room says he's only injured til the wolves game)

Kalinic = Santa Cruz replacement (not sure about this one, but he's young and could do well, Santa Cruz was a gamble as well)

Diouf and Givet were brought in by Sam as well. Givet is fantastic and Diouf gives us some good options

Hoilett is here now and he looks like he could be one for the future.

van Heerden is pretty much an unknown, but does feature for the South African squad, so can't be too bad.

I don't think we improved immensely, but we're not weaker than last season. We are more or less either the same or slightly stronger. I would say we are stronger now though because our replacements are better than what we had previously.

van Heerden is pretty much an unknown, but does feature for the South African squad, so can't be too bad

lets not forget who the south african captain is ;)

I concur; overall if we get players fit & firing we will be fine. I think the squad has a good balance of youth & experience and we are stronger than this time last year.

Recession Recession Recession!!! Yes i said it 3 times just so it hits home to some of you clowns on here. Times are hard and theres no denying so why should we gamble the future of our club on excessive wages and transfer fees. I'd like to see some of you gamble £500 to make a grand and then go home crying to your family after failing to feed your kids for the day. The reality is BRFC is like any other business at the minute struggling to make ends meet and by paying off most of our debt will stand us in good stead for the future when we need to borrow money again. Stop bleating about how badly we are being treated and face reality 17th place whether you like it or not safeguards our premier league future for another season and for me anything above that is a bonus. We'd all have loved the Crouch and Bent stories to be true but they are on £60-70000 a week as if we could afford that!! Work it out on an annual basis and you'll know i'm right. As for now accept reality and not dream world even the big 4 haven't spent big as their having debts called in left right and centre. The bubbles burst money wise apart from citeh (who for all the money in the world cant attract the top players) Either face reality a premier league club doing it the right way or fantasy land gamble every last quid and do a Leeds United!! I know where i'd rather be!!

Absolute drivel!!. We're one of the most solvent clubs in the league....pillock! -_-

Archived