BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Quality Of Life In Britain Is The Best It Has Ever Been

Huge advances in our quality of life.

I think the last two paragraphs amply explain the posts that will appear on this thread:

The real problem is that we have – somewhat incomprehensibly – lost our sense of national self-belief. This is what the nostalgics are really nostalgising – the idea of belonging to a "proud island race". But it is the nostalgics themselves, pouring cold water on our modern achievements, who hobble that very necessary pride. In reality, we are one of the most successful and dynamic modern countries in the world. An independent report in 2008, which examined 235 countries for prosperity and stability, put Britain joint seventh – after the Vatican, Sweden, Luxembourg, Monaco, Gibraltar and San Marino.

We have a tremendous amount still to be proud of – or, at least, happy about. And the remarkable thing is that we are happy about it: 90 per cent of us in survey after survey self-identify as "very" or "fairly" happy. You would just never guess it from reading the papers. Because one thing hasn't changed. As Arthur Murray wrote in The Upholsterer in 1758: "The people of England are never so happy as when you tell them they are ruined." He's absolutely right – one thing that is as true now as it was 65 years ago is that we enjoy a damn good moan.

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Professional pay on all levels is rediculously high and unsustainable, if your in this bracket then yes your going to say your quality of life has improved, but it is at the expense of the lower income bracket people most definitely.

Try telling this to the 3m unemployed, the increased taxes that we all face over the next 20 years or so, the retirement age being increased to 67 years of age.

Professional pay is way way way too high that 'professionals' dont offer value for money anymore in this country.

Retirement age being increased to 67?

When the retirement age was introduced, people rarely lived to 65. Now they live much much longer, I don't think it is unfair to expect people to work for a bit longer.

Work as % Life expectancy is at it's lowest ever. Even when the age is increased to 67, this ratio will still be favourable. 15+ years holiday after retirement is unsustainable, altering this slightly is not a sign of things getting "worse"

Professionals get paid the market rate. That is how it works. Commentators saying that wages are "too high" is irrelevant. A company pays what it thinks someone is worth.

When the retirement age was introduced, people rarely lived to 65. Now they live much much longer, I don't think it is unfair to expect people to work for a bit longer.

Correct .... just as long as everybody has to adhere to the same rules Bucky.

One thing not mentioned much is that people start work much later nowadays so it's only right that they work longer. Kids who once would have struggled with an apprenticeship at 15 are now off to do some obscure course at University with many topping it all off with a gap year. :rolleyes: Maybe it would be wisest and fairest to allow people who have started work at 16 and worked all their lives to retire early. The more people pratt around in their youth then the longer they have before they qualify for a pension.

Professionals get paid the market rate. That is how it works. Commentators saying that wages are "too high" is irrelevant. A company pays what it thinks someone is worth.

I disagree with that. Lots of firms pay what they can get away with. I know loads of examples where people have been offered a pay rise to stay only after they have handed their notice in.

I disagree with that. Lots of firms pay what they can get away with. I know loads of examples where people have been offered a pay rise to stay only after they have handed their notice in.

Yes Gordon, that happened to me twice. Both were told to stuff their pay rises where the sun don't shine. If I was worth more when I was leaving they had been ripping me off before I put my notice in!

It happened to me also.

I hadn't asked for a pay rise, but didn't get what I thought I was worth at the annual pay review, so I quit for more money.

Nevertheless, when I applied for the job it was the "market rate", just because they don't increase your wage with the market doesn't mean you wouldn't be paid market rate if you moved to a job elsewhere.

Work as % Life expectancy is at it's lowest ever. Even when the age is increased to 67, this ratio will still be favourable. 15+ years holiday after retirement is unsustainable, altering this slightly is not a sign of things getting "worse"

Propoganda put out by so called professionals who profiteer from such said words..

In Blackburn with Darwen life expectancy isnt as high as in other parts of the country.

Propoganda that gets you to buy into it dont be so easily misled!

Local Authority Blackburn with Darwen

Of course the life expectancy isn't as high in Blackburn. It has higher social deprivation and less wealth. But it is still far higher than the retirement age of 65, which it wasn't when the retirement age was introduced.

Professional pay on all levels is rediculously high and unsustainable, if your in this bracket then yes your going to say your quality of life has improved, but it is at the expense of the lower income bracket people most definitely.

Try telling this to the 3m unemployed, the increased taxes that we all face over the next 20 years or so, the retirement age being increased to 67 years of age.

Professional pay is way way way too high that 'professionals' dont offer value for money anymore in this country.

It's a little silly to put "professionals" all into the same bracket when they cover such a huge variety of different jobs.

It's a little silly to put "professionals" all into the same bracket when they cover such a huge variety of different jobs.

Why not ? they've driven the cost of living UP higher than it might have been and we've ended paying a far far higher price for our housing with many more areas in the country now deprived as opposed to the early 1980's.

The close ratio that used to apply between the professional and the subordinate is now growing further apart. ###### to the quality of life improving we've got to pay for this quality of life for another 20 years or more due to the debt we've accrued over the past decade.

Professional pay is way out of tolerance with the value they add, many are so far up their own arses that they think they add value when in reality their value is very very thin on the ground.

Local Authority Blackburn with Darwen

Increasing ones working life to 67, will surely impact on these figures and bring them down further, i'd have thought.

Of course the life expectancy isn't as high in Blackburn. It has higher social deprivation and less wealth. But it is still far higher than the retirement age of 65, which it wasn't when the retirement age was introduced.

Another wonderful thing about professionals todays is their cost cutting measures that somehow dont seem to effect them, the growing unemployed, the 130k plus on a short time working week, the pensions crisis of the lower paid, the increase in the pensionable age.

Lifes so good :o

I don't think you will find a general consensus one way or the other whether people are happy or not. You ask one person and they will say they are happy with the way things are, you ask another and they will say the complete opposite.

Going off my family and their circumstances Labour's reign has been disastrous for them. My father is expecting to be served notice this week and with his age (ageism is rife in his profession) and the state of the economy its going to be very difficult for him to find a new job that pays a similar wage.

Why not ? they've driven the cost of living UP higher than it might have been and we've ended paying a far far higher price for our housing with many more areas in the country now deprived as opposed to the early 1980's.

The close ratio that used to apply between the professional and the subordinate is now growing further apart. ###### to the quality of life improving we've got to pay for this quality of life for another 20 years or more due to the debt we've accrued over the past decade.

Professional pay is way out of tolerance with the value they add, many are so far up their own arses that they think they add value when in reality their value is very very thin on the ground.

Again, complete and utter bull to group a massive group of people under one umbrella.

Nurses, doctors, teachers and policemen are all professionals.

You think their value for money is thin on the ground?

Labour's 12 years in power have been excellent for our family but I would put that down to our own hard work and diligence rather than the efforts of any politicians.

Until the worldwide financial downturn took its toll the economy under Labour has been well managed with inflation benigh and business thriving.

For those who think rising house prices are a good thing, the value of their homes has soared under this government. The country has never been richer and to quote MacMillan, We've never had it so good.

Anyone who blames the government for their problems should look at their own failings.

What about the work shy freeloaders who have never/hardly contributed and have a lifetime holiday?

Archived