BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Quality Of Life In Britain Is The Best It Has Ever Been

Where we draw the line between graduate and non-graduate populations is relatively unimportant in relation to installing a 100% life time learning culture in the UK.

I clicked onto a jobs site at random and the first job on the list is this one:

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe is the central support organisation for over 100 countries in Europe, Africa, Middle East and Australasia. We market all hardware in the PlayStation portfolio and are one of the market leaders in the publishing of software (s/w) on PlayStation formats.

We are looking for an Email Marketing Executive to work across our exciting campaigns

At a guess:

- Sony didn't employ anyone in the UK 40 years ago

- Sony did not use email as a marketing tool 10 years ago

- Playstation became a brand ten years ago

- publishing software in Playstation formats as a business stream is less than five years old

- this job is almost certainly brand new

As we increasingly head towards a society in which manufacturing and agriculture achieve record levels of output whilst employing only 10% of the workforce, the nature and content of jobs is going to change faster and faster than ever. Anyone who does not have the skills and aptitude to learn is destined to become just so much landfill material.

Can landfill material still have email addresses, if not that position may well be redundant in the time frame your alluding too.

The Bots are coming. ;)

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to Easyjet I am no longer British and when required to enter my nationality on their website I'm only allowed to enter United Kingdom!!!! :angry:

According to Easyjet I am no longer British and when required to enter my nationality on their website I'm only allowed to enter United Kingdom!!!! :angry:

Never mind British. What happened to being English?

but I'm guessing it's a passport thing, designed not to confuse Johnny Foreigner. Although why the words European, British and United Kingdom appear on the front I'm not sure.

It really has ever been thus. You are a citizen of the United Kingdom legally and nothing else.

I think my race, whoops (!), is English and my nationality is British and as such I am a British citizen?

I do realise easyjet are just running a website but was genuinely surprised when filling in my passport details to find there was no category for British under "nationality" and only United Kingdom. In the "where was passort issued" section United Kingdom is fair enough but this is not my citizenship?

What nationality was the Northern Irish be?

Could be wrong but aren't the Northern Irish - in our view anyway - British. I think it is "Great Britain and Northern Ireland" as the complete title.

I think my race, whoops (!), is English and my nationality is British and as such I am a British citizen?

You're a subject of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. What race you are seems to be whatever you feel like being when you wake up in the morning.

Beginning to wish I hadn't asked. :lol: I think there are four "races" in the United Kingdom, English, Welsh, Scottish and Irish. I'm pretty sure at least three of them would be upset at being thought of as anyhting else - and certainly not subjects!! :blink:

You're getting very confused Paul.

How about recent immigrants to Ireland? They wouldn't be Gaelic, would they?

Race and nationality are two totally separate things. I'm not sure how race came into it, SleazyJet just wanted your nationality, no?

But from what I recall, the Irish and Scots are descended from the celts and the Welsh and Cornish are descended from the picts.

I was always led to believe that there are three great racial sub divisions that we all fit under. Caucasoid, mongoloid and negroid.

Welsh, Scots, English or even French, German Polish etc are nationalities not seperate races and belong under the sub heading of caucasoid. Same for example for the likes of chinese, korean, vietnamese and other peoples from the orient come under the sub heading mongoloid and obviously members of central and south African tribes are classified as negroid. Not sure if it wasn't all based on measurements of physical features.

No doubt somebody will post different theories. In fact I shouldn't be at all suprised if I was rounded on for the order that I placed them. :rolleyes:

Talk about defending the indefensible! Poor Liz Parker gets em all.

Unless the minimum hourly wage is reset upwards from its current level to £7.38 then an improved quality of life is simply not going to be there for many in this country.

Do that and the unemployment figures will rise. How will that help their quality of life?

Anyway what about those that simply aren't worth more than £6 an hour? Would you really want see Keithy on the dole?..... Hmmm how about a poll? ^_^

Do that and the unemployment figures will rise. How will that help their quality of life?

Anyway what about those that simply aren't worth more than £6 an hour? Would you really want see Keithy on the dole?..... Hmmm how about a poll? ^_^

Sorry Thenodrog but is this quality of life debate about including all, or is it just refering to a higher elite group.

£7.38 is the current base line for a decent living standard in this country, so would have thought paying this out would have been self explanatory in improving lifestyles. It would certainly create a gap between working for a living or staying on benefits.

Told a story over the weekend were a firm who provided the servicing for a very big supermarket chains equipment had a group interview for jobs in the north of england. This group totalled around thirty job seeking applicants when after an hour into the session one of the thirty asks'' whats was the salary on offer'' to which the chap leading replied, ''13k'' with this the whole group just got up and walked out.

The banks, the politicians, the leaders of industry have ramped up the costs of living in this country to the extent that £7.38 is NOW the true base level for the hourly rate of pay, yet, you'll probably find they'd never ever be willing to pay out this kind of money.

Told a story over the weekend were a firm who provided the servicing for a very big supermarket chains equipment had a group interview for jobs in the north of england. This group totalled around thirty job seeking applicants when after an hour into the session one of the thirty asks'' whats was the salary on offer'' to which the chap leading replied, ''13k'' with this the whole group just got up and walked out.

Simple solution to that - abolish all their benefits - problem solved. NEXT.........................

Sorry Thenodrog but is this quality of life debate about including all, or is it just refering to a higher elite group.

I think you know the answer to that without asking.

I think you know the answer to that without asking.

St Paul is it now? How about a spot of overturning money lenders tables before lunch? :rolleyes: It didn't work then and it won't work now. The minimum wage is just that. Anybody can leave employment that only pays that for a better paid position any time they like. Slavery was abolished centuries ago.

Tell you what JAL / Paul why stop at £7odd? Why not make the min wage 20 or even 30 quid an hour for the less fortunates? What do you think that will solve?

Archived