BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Summer Spending

Guest Kamy100

Guest Kamy100

In this morning's Lancashire Telegraph John Williams has given an interview which details Rovers spending this summer, selected highlights include:

£7.5 Million from Roque transfer used to cover hole from last years budget.

The £4 million difference between the fee received for Warnock and paid for Chimbonda used to control wages, rovers failed to bring wage budget down by 10%.

Every available penny is made available to the manager.

Walker trust will not put any more money in, efforts continue to find a buyer.

A lot more in the telegraph.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So that leaves:

£10.5m from the RSC money + £4m from Derbs money + Gallagher 900K.

Spent on Givet £3.5m, Kalinic £6m, NZonzi £400k, Van Herden (Free), Di Santo (Free), Jacobsen (Free), Salgado (Free)

We should therefore have £4m+ still to spend there..................

£4m difference on Chimbonda?? Reported at £1.5m - so did we only get £5.5m for Warnock??

Doesnt add up................... :huh:

I guess the whole from last years budget means that we finished 10 places below our predicted position and therefore lost out on £7.5m of sky money.

Surely not, that would mean we budgeted to finish 5th. I guess its a combination of that and sacking Ince and his muppets but thats one hell of a deficit. I wonder if the likes of Allardyce got a big fat bonus for keeping us up? Do managers get signing on fee's? Coaches as well?

There's obviously lots of expenses we haven't thought off.

I guess the whole from last years budget means that we finished 10 places below our predicted position and therefore lost out on £7.5m of sky money.

I think the board have a nerve budgeting to finish so highly. It's not like they ever back the manager with the cash needed to do so.

I guess the other part of "the hole" is down to Williams' decision to appoint Ince as manager, which lead to him having to fire him.

What a mess...

Exactly.

I like the organic way in which our club is run, however tough it makes it. If every club had to run itself like Rovers, English football would be great again. It's basically if you do well, you can spend more, if you underachieve, you have to earn your right to improve.

Players will always come and go as part of the food chain, but allowing all these silly foreign owners in is like entering species created in a laboratory into the food chain, so it kills clubs like ours. It's fustrating, but whilst we continue to stay up, we can be extremely proud. It is however, as Hughes and Souness proved possible for us to do much better, and as Allardyce has also showed this at Bolton, I think we can be confident that eventually, however long it takes, we will come out ''pucnhing above our weight'' again. Let's not forget, it could still be this season, the year we finished 6th with Hughes we had an awful start, and were in the bottom three in October.

I think that JW has earnt trust over the past 10 years as to not need to justify his actions to some of the pathetic mob on here and their conspiracy theories, but hopefully these comments he's made can end threads like this once and for all.

They expected us to finish 9th. We got £15 million for Roque upfront and £7.5 million went to cover the money lost between 9th and 15th. The £5 million difference between Warnock and Chimbonda (meaning we got £7million for Warnock), went on the transfer budget this season.

In this morning's Lancashire Telegraph John Williams has given an interview which details Rovers spending this summer, selected highlights include:

The £4 million difference between the fee received for Warnock and paid for Chimbonda used to control wages, rovers failed to bring wage budget down by 10%.

The £5 million difference between Warnock and Chimbonda (meaning we got £7million for Warnock), went on the transfer budget this season.

Where did you hear that?! See above what it says in the LT.

Also the club budgetted for mid table - how do you know they decided on 9th?

I can understand the hole - what with at least £3m lost in placings money & £2m+ lost on sacking the muppets etc.

Shilito - I agree with what your saying and I agree totally. Its just the figures dont seem to add up......unless of course we are paying massive signing on fees (which could be possible with 3 or 4 freebies signing on)

Interesting, because JW told the London Branch that we could finish as low as 15th under Ince and still be in good shape. That would mean that between paying Sam and his staff and Ince and Co's payoffs, we lost 7.5 million. Seems a bit high.

Shilito - I agree with what your saying and I agree totally. Its just the figures dont seem to add up......unless of course we are paying massive signing on fees (which could be possible with 3 or 4 freebies signing on)

This is the thing Hughesy you, and nobody else on here KNOWS WHAT THE FIGURES ARE.

Until you do, statements like 'the figures don't add up' are utterly ridiculous.

Last summer we didn't lose money on final place position because we finished 7th and that must have meant that we actually had a surplus in that respect. Yet we still kept millions back from the Bentley and Brad sales.

Yeah, thats right because Robinson, Grella, Andrews and Diouf were all free transfers weren't they?

Would the club have been in any immediate trouble had we not sold a single player this summer?

Do we just have to accept that every summer we're going to be forced to sell our most valuable players to 'fill holes' in the budget?

Very depressing reading on a Monday morning.

Edit: Neither question is rhetorical by the way, although I've managed to make it sound like they.

I take it you didn't think before you posted that? :rolleyes:

Because?

You suggested we kept millions back from the sale of Bentley and Friedel. We paid half of the £15m we got from Bentley to Arsenal and of the remaining £9 1/2m we spent £10.8 on those 4. So what exactly did we "keep" from those sales?

There are already some wrong numbers and misquotes in the posts above - it's probably worth people reading the article before starting to chuck mud!

Budget for 08/09 was based on finishing 9th (2 places down from previous season) and wages of around 44 million (10% increase on previous season).

08/09 we finished 15th (not beating West Brom cost #1.5 million), and wages had gone up above budget to around 46 million due to Givet, Diouf and new management.

There was a drop in TV revenue against budget, so overall the shortfall was 7.5 million quid. This was covered by half of the 15 million received up front for Roque Santa Cruz.

This season, the plan was to budget for a 13th place finish on a wage bill of 41 million, hence the figure already in the public domain of needing to save 5 million off the 46 million wage bill for 08/09.

They have failed to do that "so we have filled the resulting #5 million hole with the difference in transfer fees between Stephen and Pascal"

"In summary the maths works as follows - money in from transfers #26 million, money out incl agents fees, levies etc is #13.5 million, head count like for like and wages like for like.

Where has the #12.5 million gone? 7.5 million has gone to last seasons profit and loss as explained, and 5 million to support this seasons wage bill"

"I suppose the most sobering thing about this is that even if we stretch ourselves to achieve break-even at operating level, that still leaves nothing for player acquisition. So trading is the name of the game"

"I suppose the most sobering thing about this is that even if we stretch ourselves to achieve break-even at operating level, that still leaves nothing for player acquisition. So trading is the name of the game"

It also doesn't give us much hope going forward should we only achieve what we've budgeted for. If we finish 13th as predicted where does the £5m come from for next years wages "hole" as these are now fixed at around £46m if we don't get rid of anybody and leaves us little scope for anyone coming in.

Archived