BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Wolves Preview

Overall, I very much enjoyed the game and feel incredibly relieved that we have got a win under our belts. I think that this will settle quite a lot of nerves. It was one of the few games where I actually thought we werer going to win after we went ahead and that does not happen too often.

Individually, I thought Grella had another decent game and am begining to believe ( no hope would be a better word ) that the performance against West ham was not a flash in the pan. Also delighted to see Dunn play another 90 minutes unscathed. If we have a fit (ish) Dunn who can play regularly this makes an incredible difference to our team.

I thought the formation worked far better than against West Ham because Diouf was playing. For this formation to stand any chance of working we do need two attacking wingers.

I am an unashamed great admirer of Pederson. The two free kicks both deserved a goal. If that had been from a foriegn club or Ronaldo, MOTD would have been cooing and falling overthemselves to give praise. However it is a great position to be in to have Emerton back and to have the option of taking pederson off and making a meaningful replacement.

As an aside we went to the match with a friend who is very knowledgeable about football but not about Blackburn. I asked him to keep an eye on Andrews and to tell me what he thought at the end of the match - he was of course unaware of the controversy. He felt that Andrews had a pretty fair, decent match. The only thing that he disliked was a pointless free kick he gave away out on the right wing when the player was not really going anywhere. I consider this as about as an objective assessment as you can get

The other thing he remarked on was the applause for Emerton's return. He said he could not remember the last time that a substitution got such a reception - being unaware of course of the long lay off because of injury. I was impressed as well

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quote from Montfort, "I am an unashamed great admirer of Pederson. The two free kicks both deserved a goal. If that had been from a foriegn club or Ronaldo, MOTD would have been cooing and falling overthemselves to give praise"

Dont forget the great ball he played to Roberts for the 3rd goal!!

Quote from Montfort, "I am an unashamed great admirer of Pederson. The two free kicks both deserved a goal. If that had been from a foriegn club or Ronaldo, MOTD would have been cooing and falling overthemselves to give praise"

He's much improved so far this year. Still prone to crap passes and attempts to do things well above his talent level, but all in all he's been doing much better.

He had a good game and deserved a goal - if he gets one soon we may well see further improvement.

Not sure about anybody else but it was strange but enjoyable game. As per most on here and still disagree with the lineup for home games, and it was a groan once announced in why we where being negative at home again - however it tunred out to be far from negative.

Not quite sure what the formation was supposed to be or was for that matter and feel as some others do that there as a bit of a Sam 'stance' in his selection re the Wet Spam game - but it worked , we where in control for the most and played some good football at times.

IMO nobody really played badly -just had bad moments and you could see things are beginning to work.

Robinson - flapped at too many but otherwise steady

Andrews or should that be Savage MKII - certainly is best game this season but still not upto the quick thinking required, as per when Diouf was screaming for a ball in the first half in free space on the right when everybody else could see it bar him and the Wolves - doesn't do himself any favours in that respect but did what was required for most of the match - should have scored.

Grella - certainly his best game wish he was a little more attack minded though

Diouf - excellent game in my book - would have been mom for me if he could have kept it up his efforts in the 2nd half

Dunn - must be the only one who thought he had a better game against West Ham - still ran the game though.

Chimney Bob- set a high bar in his first game - never quite reached it in this but provided some quality football going forward.

Jacobsen - getting better every game - very good and solid performance

Pedersen - had a decent game in terms of being creative in open play - his corners and throw ins though .. please take him off they don't work.

Givet - they guy is just class

Samba - his usual self

Roberts - his usual self - as already been mentioned gets no help from the officials -works hard which goes unnoticed by many even though his compusure in front of goal is poor.

Officials - completely incompetent - what chance have the players got if the officials haven't got a clue.

Rovers - the game should have had the kick off delayed due to the shambles getting in.

I'm still don't know whether it was Rovers playing very well or Wolves being very poor so still unsure - but they could have easily been at least one up before we scored after their bright (ish) start which could have changed the complexion of the game (what was their player doing when he turned and blasted it towards the no net Blackburn End?), but as the saying goes, at the end of the day a wins a win and you can only beat what is in front of you especially without it being convincing in the true extent of the word.

:lol: just read the julie andrews thread and according to shitto we were playing a poor side,well even poor sides need to be beaten,i nearly puked when i heard the team but spit was in for the basketball player and it must have made a difference.roberts got offf the mark with a clinical finish,and dunny looks good,please please please stay fit man :P

Not sure about anybody else but it was strange but enjoyable game. As per most on here and still disagree with the lineup for home games, and it was a groan once announced in why we where being negative at home again - however it tunred out to be far from negative.

Sam thinks where Dunny played is his best position and the only way to accommodate him there is by playing one striker.

If/when Dunny gets injured or is given a rest, we'll probably go two up top.

The three attacking midfielders, Dunny, Dioufy and Peds all played well on Saturday and will need to maintain/better those performances for the formation to be effective week in week out.

Mind you, I also let out a groan when I heard Roberts was up front on his own.

All true and he does seem to have rediscovered his form. But why can't he clear the first defender with his corner kicks?

Wolves defending was the worst ever.so beware this may be a false dawn...We will not come across anything as bad in the rest of the season...Our defense is A1 but Keith needs to get some shooting practice as we need more goals from him.in games where opportunities are less......

My take on the performances.

Robbo – 6.5 – Did what he had to, was fouled several times but given little protection by the ref on crosses into the 6 yard box.

Jacobsen – 7 – Solid performance, also offered more going forward. Going off what iv seen, very surprised Everton didn’t snap him up.

Samba – 7.5 - Quality, works much better with Givet than he does Nelsen too. Also very well done to tell Dunny to knock the corner long.

Givet – 8 - Class – Solid at the back and also becoming a threat from set-pieces. Bargain!

Chimbonda – 6.5 – Another bargain! Despite playing left hand side, he still looked very comfortable. Links up well with his wingers and offers abit more pace down the left.

Diouf – 8 – Took his goal well and caused Wolves plenty of problems. Big crowd favourite and he is committed to the cause. Good link up with Chimbonda too.

Grella – 7.5 – Probably one of his best games for us – Several strong challenges and some intelligent passing. Improving.

Andrews – 7 – Better than normal for him. He needs to practice his shooting though, if he hit the target more often then he could become a good goal threat. Only real mistake was when Diouf was screaming for it and he didn’t spot it.

Pedersen – 7 - Jeyklle and Hyde – Fantastic pass for the 3rd goal, hit the post, made the keeper work on the first free-kick too and also took 2 decent corners. However he didn’t manage to clear the first man on 2 or 3 corners and also his throwing was not as good as it can be.

Dunn – 8 – Made things ticks and gave us a creative spark. Tried his hardest and had a hand in everything. Only thing that sometimes annoys me with him is that he tries doing a little bit too much when sometimes there is a pass on.

Roberts – 6.5 – Tries hard and always gives 100% - however he just cannot finish 1 on 1 situations and he moans and stops far too much for such a big man. Get on with it Jason!!

Big Sam – 7 – I doubted his tactics when I heard the team, but credit where its due – it worked perfect and we were effectively playing 4-2-4 when on the attack.

Man of the Match – Too tough to call – Dunn or Givet with Diouf closely behind.

Wolves – poor – Going back down on that showing. Their defence isnt premier league standard and their midfield is weak.

Wolves defending was the worst ever.so beware this may be a false dawn...We will not come across anything as bad in the rest of the season...Our defense is A1 but Keith needs to get some shooting practice as we need more goals from him.in games where opportunities are less......

No, I saw much worse defending from the Dingles on Saturday, far far worse!!!

:lol: just read the julie andrews thread and according to shitto (1) we were playing a poor side,well even poor sides need to be beaten,i nearly puked when i heard the team but spit was in for the basketball player and it must have made a difference.roberts got offf the mark with a clinical finish (2),and dunny looks good,please please please stay fit man :P

(1) :lol:

(2) :lol::lol:

:lol: just read the julie andrews thread and according to shitto we were playing a poor side,well even poor sides need to be beaten,i nearly puked when i heard the team but spit was in for the basketball player and it must have made a difference.roberts got offf the mark with a clinical finish,and dunny looks good,please please please stay fit man :P

Assuming you are referring to me, I said none of that other than we were playing a poor side. None what so ever.

And Jisty, you stalking of me is starting to creep me out as much as Waggy's perverse nature.

Missed the game because I was at Bestival (which was AMAZING) but glad we got the three points in what sounds like a very decent performance.

Strange how a week changes things. Initially it looked like we had a thin squad with poor cover in central areas, but now with Grella and Dunn completing 180 minutes the picture is completely different. We look well balanced with lots of options in every area of the field. Our bench is strong, and our defence looks truly excellent.

If we can get either Kalinic or Di Santo to pick up from Roberts and offer a bit more up front, swap Emerton for Andrews, and introduce some pace to the side with Hoilett in there I think we will be laughing. Just as well becuase we have an incredibly tough run of games now.

Archived