BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Poached Eggs

Love poached eggs but have tried loads of ways to cook them. Swirling the water round the pan with vinegar, shallow pan with hardly any bubbles, in the microwave with the yolk pierced, etc etc - all were a bit of a mess.

Someone told me to use cling film - Genius ^_^

No scrubbing pans, no mess, perfect every time.

Put the cling film in a cup to make a well, a drop of olive oil and crack in the egg. Pinch up the cling film so it looks like you've won a goldfish at the fair.

Boiling water, down to a simmer, egg in, 4 minutes.

Lift out, cut open with scissors, black pepper - perfecto.

Cant beleive no one has a good old egg poaching pan.

small round shallow pan with 4 plstic egg holders for the perfect poached egg, just add a knob on butter and bobs your uncle, just like in Burnley.

Do it the way I described and it looks a little like a ball of mozzarella. Cut through the middle and a perfect yolk oozes out ^_^

The difficulty I found with this is working out when they are properly cooked as the cling film "hides" it.

The best way Ive found is to get the better half to make em - she just gets on with it, and a fine poached egg she makes, fresh eggs, boiling water, no spinning, no cups, no vinegar.

And no, you can't come round for brekky!

just add a knob on butter and bobs your uncle, just like in Burnley.

:o

On a serious note - thanks for the idea AS. I struggle so much with poached eggs that I often chicken out and just have em boiled.

Best and freshest eggs around here - from Spout House Farm in Wheelton. Thanks to Paul for that pointer.

The poached egg is one done in boiling water. The main problem being that the movement of the water as it boils disturbs the egg white and renders is like spagetti.

Uncle Colin's solution is to line a mug or dish very lightly with olive oil or butter, drop your egg into it and then place in very gently boiling water. Put the pan lid on. Give it five minutes or so until the white has cooked & looks solid, then a couple of minutes more until the yolk has cooked a bit.

Slide it out onto a slice of toast. A dab of tomato sauce, a grind of pepper, slap another slice of toast on top. Press down.

Eat at your leisure while ignoring all attempts by any member of the human race to communicate about the need to do anything else. Plan ahead by doing the cooking while eveyone else is out or in bed.

A dose of "Mr Natural" makes the whole process far more enjoyable.

I thank you.

Slide it out onto a slice of toast. A dab of tomato sauce, a grind of pepper, slap another slice of toast on top. Press down.

Everything you have ever posted has been soiled. How could you?

The poached egg is one done in boiling water. The main problem being that the movement of the water as it boils disturbs the egg white and renders is like spagetti.

Uncle Colin's solution is to line a mug or dish very lightly with olive oil or butter, drop your egg into it and then place in very gently boiling water. Put the pan lid on. Give it five minutes or so until the white has cooked & looks solid, then a couple of minutes more until the yolk has cooked a bit.

Eat at your leisure while ignoring all attempts by any member of the human race to communicate about the need to do anything else. Plan ahead by doing the cooking while eveyone else is out or in bed.

A dose of "Mr Natural" makes the whole process far more enjoyable.

I thank you.

Colin for PM please!

:o

Best and freshest eggs around here - from Spout House Farm in Wheelton. Thanks to Paul for that pointer.

Drive through Rufford toward Lpool on the A59 Tris and about a quarter mile on the right is one of those roadside farm shops. They usually have an offer of a tray of 30 of pullet eggs (the best eggs there are btw) for £1. Try 2 pullet eggs in place of a one med/large and they will spoil your appetite for big eggs forever.

Oh and btw they usually poach better cos the white is firmer.

Had poached eggs for brekkie this morning. Straight in a pan of water, I will be trying this in the morning though.

You'll get 'egg bound' Ricky. ;)

....... And a long car journey with you might not be the best experience.

Give it five minutes or so until the white has cooked & looks solid, then a couple of minutes more until the yolk has cooked a bit.

:blink: So basically just give it 7 mins?

Crivens!

So much feedback from a poached egg suggestion.

I'm slightly honoured. Thank you.

Colin *blushes* modestly.

You jumped up idiot. There are many good suggestions on this thread, but putting ketchup on a poached egg isn't one of them.

Poached eggs and ketchup does sound messy; HP sauce on the other hand ......

My old gran used the old-fashioned method of boiling water and vinegar and they came out perfectly every time. Seems the old culinary skills aren't used any more.

I wonder if any of these celebrity chefs could poach an egg properly ?

Poached eggs and ketchup does sound messy; HP sauce on the other hand ......

My old gran used the old-fashioned method of boiling water and vinegar and they came out perfectly every time. Seems the old culinary skills aren't used any more.

I wonder if any of these celebrity chefs could poach an egg properly ?

Why ever not? Unless your name is Colin it's hardly rocket science is it?

Archived