BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Nottingham Forest Carling Cup 3rd Round Preview

Ozz

I think the lad deserves it on this (apparent) showing, but he's still only young. I'd like him to start vs villa, but can't see Sam doing that just yet.

If we were playing Wolves then maybe, but against Heskey, Carew or Abonglahor no chance! It wouldn't be fair on the lad. One for the future though!

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Givet may be out injured Staffs

Thanks TCO......That could be the ONLY circumstance when we could even consider replacing him....star performer for Rovers this season by some distance. First name on the teamsheet for me. Jones was great but now needs the 'Giggs treatment' when he first appeared...cotton wool, cup games, no limelight and reserve games on freezing Tuesday evenings against ageing pros wanting to kick lumps out of him.

Notlob are now winning :unsure:

Ten minutes remaining- there have been 36 goal attempts and 31 corners so far in that match!

3-1 to the Trotters now which is how it ended after 40 attempts on goal in total; Notlob supporters got all their entertainment for the season in one game.

We played ok, no more. We won, that is all that matters. Kalinic/Hoillet/McCarthy hopefully did well enough to earn recognition in some form on the weekend. Jones did enough but it didnt sound like he did anything too special. Shouldnt be anywhere near the first team regardless of how well he did tonight. 17 year old against Agbonlahor, Carew and Ashley Young? yeah, sensible. Two from Nelsen/Samba/Chimbonda if Givet is not fit.

If it was up to me against Villa, I'd play:

Robbo

Jacobsen, Samba, Givet, Chimbonda

Emerton, Dunn, Nzonzi, Hoilett

Kalinic, McCarthy

Subs: Brown, Jones, Nelsen, Pedersen, Roberts, Di Santo, Diouf

If Givet is injured, I'd be tempted to play Jones, but as he's only 17 I'd play Nelsen. He sounds a fantastic prospect for the future though does Jones.

I wouldn't drop Diouf, he was one of our few decent performers against Everton. Tricky selection for Sam this one.

Did anyone actually see the game or are all the comments from sky sports news?

edit - Read back, seent that most of the comments are from the radio!

I can't see how we can blood Jones against Heskey or Carew. That's madness. I just hope Givet is fit - Dunn and him have been our best players by a long chalk this term.

There is a huge argument for starting Hoilett, McCarthy and Kalinic next game. We need to change things around creatively.

If it was up to me against Villa, I'd play:

Robbo

Jacobsen, Samba, Givet, Chimbonda

Emerton, Dunn, Nzonzi, Hoilett

Kalinic, McCarthy

Subs: Brown, Jones, Nelsen, Pedersen, Roberts, Di Santo, Diouf

If Givet is injured, I'd be tempted to play Jones, but as he's only 17 I'd play Nelsen. He sounds a fantastic prospect for the future though does Jones.

I wouldn't drop Diouf, he was one of our few decent performers against Everton. Tricky selection for Sam this one.

Did anyone actually see the game or are all the comments from sky sports news?

Swap Diouf for Hoilett and that would be my team as well. Jones has got time on his side but he's not ready for the likes of Villa yet.

Massive risk - but I would love to see it! It would be the ultimate statement of intent.

Nope still cant see where my post said that..........care to show me?!

Sorry if I have misquoted you Hughesy. Your first comment followed a postee stating that Jones could start in place of Givet. Your 'love to see it' comment seemed to follow this directly. If its my mistake then apologies.

A 17 year old would probably be more suited to play against the likes of Garner and Blackstock - both fairly young and fairly small players - than a Carew or a Heskey. He was really strong in the tackle according to Radio Rovers, but after a game against the massive physique of Carew, and the lightning pace of Agbonlahor - this wonderful experience for him might be too easily forgotten.

Playing alongside Nelsen is probably easier than Chris all-over-the-place Samba too.

But when was the last time a central defender showed such promise at such a young age for Rovers? McEveley springs to mind, but he was a left back. Tiny Taylor and Marlon Broomes are the only other two I can think of right now, but they were a few years older?

Not saying he's done more than playing well against a Championship side - before anyone tells me to calm down and face reality - but at SEVENTEEN that is very impressive. Looking forward to hearing people's views on this young man, preferably those who got to see the match, not just listen to the radio like myself.

Well I for one am keen to see what Sam the Infallible does on Saturday after his 'anyone plays well tonight keeps their shirt' speech.

Here's my prediction:

Brown - keeps clean sheet and saves pen - dropped

Jones - MoM defensive performance - dropped

Hoillet, Emerton, Reid, Nzonzi - dropped

Benni - scores and best taker of a dead ball at the club - dropped

Salgado - thoroughly skinned twice in a row - plays

I hope, but do not expect, that I am wrong as I don't know how much longer I can watch Roberts up front and MGP lobbing throws to the defender in front of Samba at the front edge of the 6-yard box.

Well I for one am keen to see what Sam the Infallible does on Saturday after his 'anyone plays well tonight keeps their shirt' speech.

Here's my prediction:

Brown - keeps clean sheet and saves pen - dropped

Jones - MoM defensive performance - dropped

Hoillet, Emerton, Reid, Nzonzi - dropped

Benni - scores and best taker of a dead ball at the club - dropped

Salgado - thoroughly skinned twice in a row - plays

I hope, but do not expect, that I am wrong as I don't know how much longer I can watch Roberts up front and MGP lobbing throws to the defender in front of Samba at the front edge of the 6-yard box.

Did you see the game? DId Salgado get skinned twice?

The guy is a liability. That said if Jacobsen is available I bet you £50 Sam plays him ahead of Salgado.

Sorry if I have misquoted you Hughesy. Your first comment followed a postee stating that Jones could start in place of Givet. Your 'love to see it' comment seemed to follow this directly. If its my mistake then apologies.

I meant that in relation to players keeping their places.

Id give him a start alongside Samba if Givet is injured.

Id also start NZonzi for Grella, Emerton for Andrews & Benni for Roberts

I am just wondering what it is about Rovers that the BBC hate. The only thing I can think of is Shearer has poised then against us or because Rovers have won the prem crown - a crown that can never, ever be taken off Rovers. Lets dwell on that and sod the rest of what othes think.

We upset the football aristocracy, the BBC are their media/propaganda and recruiting arm and like to believe they are responsible for the success of the Big Club aristocracy. Save for maybe Alan Hansen (cos of the Dalglish connection) the BBC did little to enhance Rovers reputation and were constantly trying to engineer a move for Shearer to Man U. They will never forgive us for the egg we so delightfully smeared on their faces in '95 and as long as Gary "I'm so insulted a 2nd division Rovers made a bid for me but am quite happy to be running off with a bit of fluff that's way out of my league" Lineker we can't expect the supposedly impartial Beeb to be anything but unkind to us for the foreseeable future.

But as you said, history cannot be changed and we can smile and delight in that forever!

I think Hoiliett is the man to replace Andrews, Nzonzi for Grella and Benni for Roberts. If Givet is injured, then my money is on Salgado at RB and Jacobsen alongside Samba. Either that, or Nelsen is back to partner Samba with Lars at RB. I think it could be this:

Robbo

Jacobsen Samba Nelsen Chimbonda

Nzonzi

Emerton Dunn Pedersen

Hoiliett Benni

What i like there is, that we will have 2 youngsters starting, in Hoiliett and Nzonzi. On the bench you could have 3 more youngsters in Jones, Kalinic and Di Santo. You also still have Doran, Judge and Gunning. I cant remember the last time, we had this many young players being given an opportunity to shine. If we stay up, the future is bright, and the future will still be blue and white.

Archived