BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Aston Vanilla

CAPT KAYOS

Actually there is a strong arugment for starting McCarthy with Hoilett up front. Hoilett has caused the opposition lots of problems so far, his pace will compliment Benni dropping off, and it will allow us to start Pedersen, Diouf, Dunn and Emerton in midfield. Judging by how ineffective Kalinic has been this could make sense.

Benni has got to get out of the habit of having a sleep during the game...

Seriously though I do agree with what you say. MGP, Dunn, Bert & Diouf would be a great choice of midfield to start the game, with Benni and Hoilett up front. I take it Lars will be back at RB? Please tell me he's back!

Robinson

Jacobsen Samba Nelson Chimbonda

Diouf Bert Dunn MGP

Hoilett

Benni

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Hoilett should play out wide ahead of Pedersen, whose lack of sheer pace would only encourage the Villa boys to race down the flanks. At least with Hoilett there, they'll have to be careful about getting caught in possession.

McCarthy should be a starter. I don't care if he appears listless in games, he has genuine talent which Roberts sadly doesn't. Kalinic should also stay in the side as a vote of confidence from the manager. Emerton will work as a box-to-box midfielder, with his energy and athleticism, giving Dunn license to probe forward.

Robinson

Jacobsen - Nelsen - Samba - Chimbonda

Diouf - Emerton - Dunn - Hoilett

Kalinic - McCarthy

Rovers to lose 0-2 Im afraid...I was at this fixture last season and cant see anything other than 3 points for Villa this time around as well.

They are quick and have goals from all over the park and are solid at the back, we dont seem to posess much of an attacking threat or any creativity and invite pressure onto ourselves by not keeping the ball. They also are a real threat on set pieces and as we all know we just cannot defend them and havent been able to for years!

Im hoping Im wrong and 3 points head Rovers way but I just cant see it!

Nice read captain, just for the record, the Kennedy goal was simply MAGNIFIQUE. A truly moment of genuine flukiness from our then Scottish resident striker. A comparison would be Mike Newells screamer versus Barnsley.

The game that I recall more intently versus Villa is our 3-2 Stevie Archibald inspired win when a certain David Platt was the Villa star of the future in a side that also contained Tony Daley, then yesteryear verson of Aaron Lennon (a player with speed that couldnt cross a ball to save his life). Now that is a game to remember.

Saturday is beginning to have a bit of a crunchtime fixture about it.

Can Rovers afford to lose ? NO they can't. A draw isnt that good for us whilst a win would be a fantastic result given whats on the immediate horizon game wise. Right at this time, I think that I would take the solitary point given our current issues with confidence in front of goal.

Villa have their own problems. Injury concerns to Heskey the pitch roller (yes he spends more time on the floor than our groundsmans rolling machine/mower) and Ashley Young, whilst Sidwell remains a doubt. Add that to the inhouse fighting between MON and REO Coker and we can see the Villains have some problems. Up front they have Carew and Mr Ugly (the guy with the girly name). In midfield they have Milne (who regularly seems to be a right royal pain in the ar$e for Rovers and the Bulgarian midfielder Petrov, who is a class act. Villa have more defenders than any other league team and boast a first team squad of around 46 players, easily the biggest but more importantly, the majority are English players.

We welcome back our old left back Stevie Warnock. He left for whatever reasons, I dont give a damn as to the exact reasons. We also welcome back a true Rovers legend in Brad Friedel.

Whoever takes the stage for Villa will know they have to perform. Last season I think they had a record set of away victories, lets hope Rovers starting 11 can buck the current trend of Villa stealing points at Ewood.

As long as Rovers dismiss thoughts of 4-5-1, leave Andrews out sweeping the streets and Salgado NOT at right back, we can entertain thoughts of 3 points.

Heart would love a 1-0 Benni Mac screamer but my head puts a reality check on it being a 0-0 single point in the bag game where Rovers scrape out of the bottom 3.

With October looming high on the horizon, November cannot arrive quick enough :huh:

Nice read captain, just for the record, the Kennedy goal was simply MAGNIFIQUE. A truly moment of genuine flukiness from our then Scottish resident striker. A comparison would be Mike Newells screamer versus Barnsley.

The game that I recall more intently versus Villa is our 3-2 Stevie Archibald inspired win when a certain David Platt was the Villa star of the future in a side that also contained Tony Daley, then yesteryear verson of Aaron Lennon (a player with speed that couldnt cross a ball to save his life). Now that is a game to remember.

Thanks 1864 - the goal was Magnifique which is what makes it even more surprising from him - as mentioned I have never seen a replay of the goal but can still see the ball flying into the top corner of the net.

As for the Archibald match -I recall this game but I'm sure it has been covered before on a preview - remember it also for the BB End being absolutely packed it was virtually impossible to move.

For me it is the tme to play McCarthy and makes sure he satys up front and doesn't come looking for the ball -leave that upto Dunn as I feel the two could be the answer to our undoing of them.

I've got my sisters wedding wedding in Cannock, Birmingham in a few weeks and the fella she's marrying is a Villa fan. Half the place is going to be full of Brummies who support midlands teams. Wolves have zip to say after our 3-1 victory and Robbie Savage always comes in handy for the big club posse. Unfortunately we don't have much on Villa lately and they have stolen 2 of our best players in recent seasons. We need to sort them out!

It's my birthday today and we seem to do quite well from memories on games played on and around my birthday as shown below :)

we can see the Villains have some problems.

Well despite those problems they have won their last six games on the bounce.

We will do very well to get anything out of this game, Villa are an excellent team. They haven't conceded a goal in their last four games either - the signs are not good for this one.

Hoilett and Benni will definitely not start together. Allardyce likes a focal point to his attack and he showed last season that he doesn't think Benni can do this role, and Hoilett certainly isn't the type of striker to lead the line.

I've got my sisters wedding wedding in Cannock, Birmingham in a few weeks and the fella she's marrying is a Villa fan. Half the place is going to be full of Brummies who support midlands teams. Wolves have zip to say after our 3-1 victory and Robbie Savage always comes in handy for the big club posse. Unfortunately we don't have much on Villa lately and they have stolen 2 of our best players in recent seasons. We need to sort them out!

It's my birthday today and we seem to do quite well from memories on games played on and around my birthday as shown below :)

Sorry mate but Cannock isn't near Birmingham. It's near like Blackburn is near Manchester :lol:

Hi gents - Villa fan here.

Just thought I'd add my two pence to the discussion. I don't think it's going to be an easy game for Villa - Big Sam has a knack of getting his teams to stifle us, so if Villa are to win it'll probably only be by a single goal. Your midweek win will probably have given you some confidence and I don't think you'll perform like you did against Everton. Meanwhile, Villa have managed to rack up some good wins and kept clean sheets, but to be honest we've not dominated any teams played. It'll be close - I'd say 1-2 win to Villa.

Just thought I'd add my two pence to the discussion. I don't think it's going to be an easy game for Villa - Big Sam has a knack of getting his teams to stifle us, so if Villa are to win it'll probably only be by a single goal. Your midweek win will probably have given you some confidence and I don't think you'll perform like you did against Everton. Meanwhile, Villa have managed to rack up some good wins and kept clean sheets, but to be honest we've not dominated any teams played. It'll be close - I'd say 1-2 win to Villa.

Chris, unfortunately you are probably right. We have been dire recently, I just hope that Sam does not keep with his one up front...that big slug Jason Roberts!

Chris, unfortunately you are probably right. We have been dire recently, I just hope that Sam does not keep with his one up front...that big slug Jason Roberts!

Big slug is a bit harsh on Jason. He's more the large male bovine in a crockery shop.

What kind of reception will Warnock receive? IMO any booing will make us look a little bit silly as he gave a couple of years decent service to the club and always gave 110%.

As for the score I'm not feeling that confident about this one. I expect it to be tight, but can see us being hit on the break:

Rovers 1 Villa 2

What kind of reception will Warnock receive? IMO any booing will make us look a little bit silly as he gave a couple of years decent service to the club and always gave 110%.

As for the score I'm not feeling that confident about this one. I expect it to be tight, but can see us being hit on the break:

Rovers 1 Villa 2

I won't boo him. He's been nothing but complimentary about us. I can't bring myself to even consider booing Brad. He's still a hero.

Hello villachris - are you old enough to recall the game in the preview - where you there, what did you think of Ormondroyd when he played for Villa?

Think we are in for a very negative game ala West Ham. If we dont attack often they cant counter. = very dull 0 - 0 and 1 point. Which is a good result vrs Villa. even if it will send me to sleep in my seat.

Well despite those problems they have won their last six games on the bounce.

We will do very well to get anything out of this game, Villa are an excellent team. They haven't conceded a goal in their last four games either - the signs are not good for this one.

Hoilett and Benni will definitely not start together. Allardyce likes a focal point to his attack and he showed last season that he doesn't think Benni can do this role, and Hoilett certainly isn't the type of striker to lead the line.

If Sam goes down that route he can only really go for Roberts then. Kalinic certainly isn't leading the line at the moment, and Di Santo hasn't played.

Hello villachris - are you old enough to recall the game in the preview - where you there, what did you think of Ormondroyd when he played for Villa?

I don't know about him but I'm old enough to remember it and in fact I was there although just a kid at the time and to answer your question he was a terrible player for us.

My main memory of him came though off the pitch, I was at local presentation evening for Birmingham school's football and was due to pick up a trophey from a 'local big name footballer' so was hoping for Platt or McGrath if memory serves me correct. So imagine my dissapointment when my dad told me who it was! My response was 'but he is crap everyone knows he is crap' I didn't need to turn around to know what my old man's face was about. Ormondroyd bent down next to me and said "but I always do my best" and walked away.

Oh the shame

were not hahaha ...were pussy cats and we like our tummies tickled .

Really?

I always expect tough games against Fat Sam's sides, I've not seen much of you this season I take it you guys aren't impressed so far?

Most of you know im a Villa fan but for those who don't, I am!

I'm not going to lie, this has potential for last game on MOTD on the face of it, we've got the odd injury doubt atm and I think we'll set up as we do in most away games and thats to keep it solid and try and get a goal then we normally do it a bit and play on the counter. I think it'll be a really hard game personally, not looking forward to it, but looking at how it's going atm for both teams I would be disappointed not to win the game, theres some good confidence about our squad tho after 6 wins in a row in all comps, 4 in the league.

Theres apparently question marks over Sidwell fitness and everyone knows the Reo-Coker situation but if Sidwell doesn't make it i'd expect Coker to come back in and whatever happens I think Delph will start after an impressive performance in the cup.

As said, a tough game but a red hot Agbonlahor (4 goals in last 4 game) and big John Carew should get enough decent chance to win the game. Rovers-0-1-Villa.

Archived