SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Rovers V Aston Vanilla

CAPT KAYOS

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Everton played a 4-5-1 against us...

Far too much is made of systems, it's how you approach the match that counts. I'll be very happy if we go 4-5-1 and attack the game like we did with Wolves.

I expect we'll play more of a 4-4-1-1, with McCarthy playing behind either Roberts or Kalinic.

It`s frustrating. The numbers count for nothing. It`s about how many players we get forward when in possession that determines how attacking/defensive a formation is. Funny that people don`t seem to get this.

Let's just hope Pedersen, Andrews and Roberts are all dropped - Hoillet, Benni and Kalinic in. Would perhaps even drop Diouf for Bert.

No doubt Sam will go for the same toss as last week, blinded by us beating a p**s-poor Wolves thanks to two gifted goals!

;)

Here you go:

ROVERS: Robinson, Jacobsen, Samba, Nelsen ©, Chimbonda, Diouf, Grella, Nzonzi, Pedersen, Dunn, Di Santo.

4-5-1 again. Pedersen STILL in. No place for Junior?!? Roberts ust be injured as he's not even in the 18?

Gonna struggle today to get anything - hope I'm wrong though.

Here you go:

ROVERS: Robinson, Jacobsen, Samba, Nelsen ©, Chimbonda, Diouf, Grella, Nzonzi, Pedersen, Dunn, Di Santo.

4-5-1 again. Pedersen STILL in. No place for Junior?!? Roberts ust be injured as he's not even in the 18?

Gonna struggle today to get anything - hope I'm wrong though.

Staggered!!

Everton played a 4-5-1 against us...

Far too much is made of systems, it's how you approach the match that counts. I'll be very happy if we go 4-5-1 and attack the game like we did with Wolves.

I expect we'll play more of a 4-4-1-1, with McCarthy playing behind either Roberts or Kalinic.

It's also the players that you have and to play a 4-5-1 and have it not be overly defensive you need a bit of pace and quite a bit of creativity and goalscoring threat from midfield, those are two things that we don't have in our squad. I think it's patently obvious to most that 4-4-2 is the system that suits our squad best, that is why our best form has always been when we have done that. I still think the City match was our best performance so far and it was 4-4-2 and when Allardyce came in we had our best run that we've had under him...we were playing 4-4-2. Play 4-4-2 and play Benni, sadly he doesn't do either.

We don't half have some hysterical people on here, we haven't even kicked off yet. I think this could be interesting for a few reasons. Villa have a superior midfield so it makes sense to put an extra man in there, Nzonzi. Dunn can play just behind Di Santo and still provide defensive cover. Additionally, Di Santo and Dunn could link up well. We also have some quality on the bench with the ability to change the match.

It's also the players that you have and to play a 4-5-1 and have it not be overly defensive you need a bit of pace and quite a bit of creativity and goalscoring threat from midfield, those are two things that we don't have in our squad. I think it's patently obvious to most that 4-4-2 is the system that suits our squad best, that is why our best form has always been when we have done that. I still think the City match was our best performance so far and it was 4-4-2 and when Allardyce came in we had our best run that we've had under him...we were playing 4-4-2. Play 4-4-2 and play Benni, sadly he doesn't do either.

We play 4-5-1 to accommodate Dunn. We'd get murdered with him in the middle pair in 4-4-2.

Disappointed that Hoilett isn't starting, think he deserves the chance. 4-5-1 again i see, just have to hope Di Santo gets some support from Dunny or from out wide otherwise i can't see us scoring.

Played 4-5-1/4-4-1-1 several times this season and the only time its worked was against Wolves because the lone striker had plenty of support, the rest of the time the striker had no support and we looked toothless.

A little bit worrying that our first choice striker as Di Santo seems to be now he's fit will be off on his bike come January. I'd have liked to have seen him and benni/kalinic start.

I still don't think we've got the pace or personnel to play 4-5-1 but Sam has gone for it today yet again so let's wait and see. If he gets it wrong though as he did against Everton then there will be quite a few unhappy people with his choice of tactics.

Archived