BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Would You Rather Play For Rovers Or Chelsea?

Mr. E

Blackburn v Chelsea  

164 members have voted

1. 1. See Below

• Blackburn
    • Chelsea

If you were a rising football star playing for Rovers (and a fan of the club as you now are), at 20k wages, and were offered a deal at Chelsea worth 120k a week, would you take it?

This is from another topic, where it seems a number of our "supporters" would choose Chelsea. I wonder where the others stand? (You can replace Chelsea with any other big-spending team)

*I would add a poll but I don't see the option... [Poll Added]

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chelsea and 120k a week.

Anyone who says differently is lieing.

Put me on a lie-detector test if you want.

Also, to get to the point, I would ask those who pick Chelsea to explain why exactly they do not support one of the big teams in the first place? If you only care about money and glory, why bother with Rovers at all?

You may not realise you're lieing, but I'm sure you are.

It's easy to take the moral high ground when its hypothetical - put you in that situation for real and offer you Champions League football and a 600% pay rise and you would take it, you'd be crazy not to.

You may not realise you're lieing, but I'm sure you are.

It's easy to take the moral high ground when its hypothetical - put you in that situation for real and offer you Champions League football and a 600% pay rise and you would take it, you'd be crazy not to.

I am not sure how (or why) I can prove it to you, except simply say that my passion is Blackburn Rovers. It is not dozens of fancy cars, million-dollar mansions, tons of jewelry or whatever else you'd get to buy with 120k. Even 20k is much more than what most people make in the world. I do not need ridiculous amounts of luxury to live. My main dream would be trying to make Rovers better.

And what I don't understand is how can one support a club and not share this view. Unless you look at Rovers like your favourite drugstore or fast food restaurant that you like going to but don't really care that deeply about.

It is not dozens of fancy cars, million-dollar mansions, tons of jewelry or whatever else you'd get to buy with 120k. Even 20k is much more than what most people make in the world.

Most people in the World can work for 40 years and be at their maximum earning potential for the vast majority of that.

A footballers maximum earning potential period is probably about 5-6 years on average, coming up and going down on either side of that. If you were a professional football you'd be surrounded by people reminding you of this.

I would be making as much money as possible in my short career to ensure my family are comfortable when I retire in my mid 30's.

Chelsea. More money, bigger club, Champs League, fame, recognition, family set for life, etc. What you don't understand is that if you are sat in a dressing room openly proclaiming you'd play for less as it's your passion, the other players plus club management would take the p!ss mercilessly. The players as they'd be earning much more than you are for doing the same job, and management as they know they can get you on the cheap.

Fernando Torres is Atletico Madrid through and through; he plays for Liverpool.

Mr. E, a question for you; it's Saturday afternoon, Rovers are at home, but there's a page 3 stunner at your house ready to go. Would you choose Rovers then too?

Most people in the World can work for 40 years and be at their maximum earning potential for the vast majority of that.

A footballers maximum earning potential period is probably about 5-6 years on average, coming up and going down on either side of that. If you were a professional football you'd be surrounded by people reminding you of this.

I would be making as much money as possible in my short career to ensure my family are comfortable when I retire in my mid 30's.

20k-40k a week for a few years is still a great deal of money that can last you a long time if you don't spend profusely. Not only that but it's not like you're finished with everything when you retire. There are many coaching opportunities available in different levels of the sport, you can invest the money in a restaurant or another type of business, you can earn a degree and pursue another interest, you can do a heck of a lot of things after you retire from playing. 35 may be old football-wise but in the real world you're still in the prime of your life.

I see your point, although money talks and football to most of us is a hobby not an occupation.

Could I score against Rovers?

Could I celebrate when the team score?

Could I play in a game that could relegate Rovers?

Assuming 140k a week that means i'm a dam good Rover before I leave - could I do that and potentially leave my team in the brown stuff?

Could I really celebrate in front of alien fans and call Stamford Bridge home?

In my dreams - No.

In real life - Yes

Play for Chelsea for an extra 100k pw???? Don't even have to think about it. In fact I'd play for Burnley and have a bloody great tattoo of turf moor on my chest.

You have said some sick and provocative stuff over the years. This tops them all. What wouldn't you do for money?

Easy Question.

I would play for Blackburn for 20k a week. What people dont seem to realise is that 20k translates to over 1m pounds a yr. For those talking about financial security, I think that over a 10 yr 'height of career' period is more than enough? All ive ever wanted to do is play for Blackburn-playing for any other club just wouldnt intrest me.

You have said some sick and provocative stuff over the years. This tops them all. What wouldn't you do for money?

You kiddin? It's only 22 grown men kicking a bag of wind about for an hour and a half when all is said and done! :tu:

Easy Question.

...... What people dont seem to realise is that 20k translates to over 1m pounds a yr.

Get away! Really BRFC4Eva? Well I never. ^_^

Next time around I'm gonna be a footballers agent! They are so thick that Mr 20% would be the player.

I would say I love Rovers and hate Chelsea. BUT I'd certainly mull over it. I think in the end I WOULD stay with Rovers, but only to stop people on fan forums slagging me off. My heart would say Rovers, but I'd be VERY tempted to go with my head and more money to provide for my family, as it is a VERY short career.

As I am, I follow my heart when I make decisions. In the end, 20k a week is a LOT more than the average british wage. I'm not one who likes being in the spotlight, so I think I may keep the peace and stay with my hometown club. I would only take offers for more money ABROAD in the sense that it is an experience, as well as more money.

Also, to get to the point, I would ask those who pick Chelsea to explain why exactly they do not support one of the big teams in the first place? If you only care about money and glory, why bother with Rovers at all?

I support Rovers because I was born and bred in Blackburn. If I was from Chelsea I would support Chelsea. I didn't make a deliberate decision to support Rovers - I did so because of circumstance.

Just because I'd play for Chelsea in this situation doesn't make me a Chelsea fan or less of a Rovers fan. It's a career decision. To be honest the scenario you have outlined is such a no-brainer. You go to Chelsea every time. David Dunn would.

To be honest if you were good enough to attract Chelsea's attention yet loved Rovers, Rovers would probably try and break the bank to keep you, probably offering you around £40k. And I think it would be crazy Chelsea offering you £120k when you've only proved it with Rovers.... that's one of the top wages in world football!

Stick the money I'd play for Rovers...20,000 a week is enough for me...Surely there has to be one who play for the love of a club and football and not just money and glory...Why shouldn't it be me...But I'm too old and always was crap at football... :rover:

• Backroom

Chelsea no question, and by the way you phrased it I presume that means you think we're not 'real fans' now.

I'd still support Rovers no doubt so your other point about why not support them if all we are after money or glory is simply ludicrous

I would be extremely happy to play for Blackburn Rovers may entire career. Then the Gerrard/Rooney/Shearer factor comes in, if I had no chance of winning competitions with Blackburn but felt I did with Chelsea then I would leave. It would not be for the money, that would be a by product. On quick figures a £26m difference over a 5 year contract.

Money is obviously important but at those sorts of levels what does it really matter? You would still earn £1m a year at Blackburn.

Having a successful career would be far more important to me. I have great admiration for Shearer but ultimately he only won the Premiership once and that was it, for a player of his ability he should have won far more.

I would find it amazingly difficult to play against Rovers and would never consider playing for Dingles or Coventry. Ultimate goal would be to end up back at Rovers and help us to do as well as possible.

To be honest if you were good enough to attract Chelsea's attention yet loved Rovers, Rovers would probably try and break the bank to keep you, probably offering you around £40k. And I think it would be crazy Chelsea offering you £120k when you've only proved it with Rovers.... that's one of the top wages in world football!

I think we can safely assume that the question was hypothetical sambo. ;)

• Backroom

As someone rightly said earlier its all well and good saying now you'd stick with rovers but if you were offered that amount of money 95% of people would take it i imagine.

Also genuine question, if money isn't an issue in your world Mr E how come your often on here slagging off the team you adore so much instead of at the games?

Lets chuck in another complication - if Chelsea were prepared to pay £120k - they would doubtless give Rovers a huge cheque for your services. That way everyone is a winner :rover:

I think you also need to consider - not all footballers have a full career - so to an extent you have to make hay while the sun shines. It is alright saying £1m a year for 12 years (or whatever) - but there are no guarantees you will play that long - and that has to be at the back of many footballers minds.

I think one thing is certain - most Rovers fans in this situation would probably stay at Rovers longer than their agents would like - and would also attempt to ensure Rovers got maximum compensation (aka Wright-Phillips when he left for Chelsea).

LOL, so do I stay at Rovers on 20K fufilling my dream or do I play for the family team on 120K fufilling their dreams?

Firstly I'd like to think that if I was worth 120K a week to Chelsea then Rovers would perhaps be prepared to negotiate? If Chelsea want me that means I'm one hell of a player!!!, so it simple really. Whilst my family constantly nag me to sign I'd ask JW for a new contract I'm sure some middle ground could be found say 60K a week.

If there however was no budging on Rovers part then its simple and no-one would do differently, if placed in that situation, 1M or 6M a year or perhaps this way, 4M or 24M over four years. With that kind of money I could ensure my WHOLE family never worries about money for generations, not just my kids theirs as well. Its a no brainer, I would however see out my contract and then re-sign for Rovers on a free after I get my 24M hopefully on more than 20K.

With that kind of money I could ensure my WHOLE family never worries about money for generations, not just my kids theirs as well.

This.

Anyone who didn't take the Chelsea money would be acting incredibly seflishly IMO.

Archived