BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Would You Rather Play For Rovers Or Chelsea?

Mr. E

Blackburn v Chelsea  

164 members have voted

1. 1. See Below

• Blackburn
    • Chelsea

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blimey, there are some real fans on here, and I'm not taking the mick. There is a real affinity to Rovers in a few. To me Rovers are the football club I will always follow, but I don't have the passion invoked on here.

It's easy to say the things being said on this thread when you aren't faced with the actual situation. It doesn't mean a lot IMO.

Just to add another spin on the debate, if Chelsea were offering you 120k a week, what sort of transfer fee do you think Rovers would be in line for? Upwards of 20m I should imagine. Rovers would be pushing you out of the door. Those that say that not only would they want to stay, but they would ask for a payrise, are in a dreamworld.

It's easy to say the things being said on this thread when you aren't faced with the actual situation. It doesn't mean a lot IMO.

Just to add another spin on the debate, if Chelsea were offering you 120k a week, what sort of transfer fee do you think Rovers would be in line for? Upwards of 20m I should imagine. Rovers would be pushing you out of the door. Those that say that not only would they want to stay, but they would ask for a payrise, are in a dreamworld.

My point exactly in my post this morning. You would do what's best for the club, and if Chelski were going to pay £20m for you, the club couldn't turn it down.

But Chelski would be mad to pay me £120k per week as I'm a @#/? footballer which is why I went into the plumbing and heating industry rather than pursue my career in football. In my trade you go with the money, like I have a few times over the last few years so I've no room to call greedy footballers!

In my trade you go with the money, like I have a few times over the last few years so I've no room to call greedy footballers!

That's generally what footballers do to, along with perceived success.

----------

As fans we can't see or understand the different lives players lead. When Ashley Cole commented "when I heard £55,000 a week, I nearly drove off the road/spit my tea out" he upset a lot of people. Yet in his world he had a right to feel aggrieved as he was constantly around players earning more than him. He was, is, and will for the foreseeable future, be an England international. That calibre of player earns £100,000 per week.

Mr E started this thread and from what I can gather in reading his comments he spends a lot of time thinking about the team he supports. This situation is purely hypothetical and should not be used to measure who the better supporter is. He still hasn't answered my question from yesterday though. Maybe he's torn?

In my trade you go with the money

Your trade is the human race - everybody is the same, everybody goes with the money, because its the only sensible way to be.

What would happen if the player in question decided to stay with Rovers, Chelsea withdrew their interest and the next day they suffered a career ending injury. You'd never forgive yourself.

If you're willing to be in the slightest bit logical every aspect of this debate point towards Chelsea being the best, nay, onlyoption.

It would depend entirely on my personal circumstances. If I were single and not happily settled, then I'd take the Chelsea option. However, if I were happily settled with a family and friends in the area, then I'd stay. It would be that simple.

I would stay at Rovers. Although there is one big difference in how I think to the footballers. They are used to earning thousands a week and have not been use to earning relative peanuts, like i have. When your used to a normal wage the idea of having a 10 year career where you earn 10mill is fantastic, how could you ever need more. But if from my late teens I was used to stupid money and was brain washed by agents to believe I should be on 120K a week I would certainly move. You cant answer this question without living the life of a footballer coming up through the ranks and with that level of expection.

It would depend entirely on my personal circumstances. If I were single and not happily settled, then I'd take the Chelsea option. However, if I were happily settled with a family and friends in the area, then I'd stay. It would be that simple.

I think the key thing is it is never as simple as that. There would be a million ever changing factors in anyones life. You can love a job this year, hate a job next year, personal circumstances change, the working environment changes.

Thats kind of why this is a pointless (but entertaining) thread! You cannot reduce a constant ever changing assessment of where you are going to work to a single decision. I doubt very few footballers are certian where they will play the season after next, let alone the rest of their career.

Your trade is the human race - everybody is the same, everybody goes with the money, because its the only sensible way to be.

What would happen if the player in question decided to stay with Rovers, Chelsea withdrew their interest and the next day they suffered a career ending injury. You'd never forgive yourself.

If you're willing to be in the slightest bit logical every aspect of this debate point towards Chelsea being the best, nay, onlyoption.

You've made your opinion clear, however it is a bit irksome how you continue to demand that everyone agrees with you or they are "illogical" or whatever you accuse them of. While I won't go on about who is the "better" supporter, at least it's clear that some people look at Rovers in one way, while others in another. If your values in life would force you to pick Chelsea, that's your decision - but understand that there are other type of people out there.

I think the key thing is it is never as simple as that. There would be a million ever changing factors in anyones life. You can love a job this year, hate a job next year, personal circumstances change, the working environment changes.

Thats kind of why this is a pointless (but entertaining) thread! You cannot reduce a constant ever changing assessment of where you are going to work to a single decision. I doubt very few footballers are certian where they will play the season after next, let alone the rest of their career.

Obviously there might be unique personal circumstances or situations that may influence your decision, but this is a hypothetical question. No, Rovers would not fold if they didn't sell you, you don't need the money to pay for the treatment of some life-threatening illness to someone in your family, you are simply free as a player to decide if you want to play for the big bucks at Chelsea or stay at lower wages at Rovers.

You've made your opinion clear, however it is a bit irksome how you continue to demand that everyone agrees with you or they are "illogical" or whatever you accuse them of. While I won't go on about who is the "better" supporter, at least it's clear that some people look at Rovers in one way, while others in another. If your values in life would force you to pick Chelsea, that's your decision - but understand that there are other type of people out there.

This surely is down to individuals opinion and not a matter of right and wrong? I for one have been brought up from the early '70's to be a Rovers fan, and I am proud of that. I made a massive decision 10 years ago to stay in the U.K with my family and the Rovers rather than work on a contract in the Cape Verde Islands, a couple of years later I turned down America. I now see that as 2 crazy decisions, but the two things that were major factors were family and Rovers.

Given another chance to move to a foreign land and earn big bucks I'm 99% sure I would snap it up and take my young family with me. It would be a wrench not being able to sit on the BBE and watch my beloved Rovers to be fair. This is similar to moving to the likes of Chelsea for a footballer, up sticks and move away to better yourself.

Obviously there might be unique personal circumstances or situations that may influence your decision, but this is a hypothetical question. No, Rovers would not fold if they didn't sell you, you don't need the money to pay for the treatment of some life-threatening illness to someone in your family, you are simply free as a player to decide if you want to play for the big bucks at Chelsea or stay at lower wages at Rovers.

Well if I found myself in the fantastic position of being able to dictate my football career (something that only the finest players can do) I would say then that I would stay if:

I was getting regular games

I had a good working relationship with my team mates

I felt I was playing football at the highest level I could at rovers

I had a good working relationship with my manager

I was paid what I felt I was worth to the team (I wouldn't be mercenary about it but I would expect to be treated decently and fairly in the context of my ability compared to my team mates)

Even all of these things considered after 5 years playing for Rovers I would probably want to play for someone else, even if they didn't offer much more money, just to get a taste of something different, and then come back to Rovers to finish my career. I suppose that is an aspect of my personality. I don't think Chelsea would be first choice though!

Well, from my perspective, what am I going to do with the rest of my life after football? If you're a footballer, with rare exception, your time in the game hasn't really prepared you to do anything else. The number of managers and TV pundits from the ranks of ex-footballers is rather small compared to the number of footballers as a whole

Sure, I don't necessarily NEED 120k/week to live comfortably, but it would be nice to be able to bank some large amount of that money and allow me to either live well until I die, or at least give me a good buffer with which to transition myself into some other profession.

So though I love Rovers, I'd probably have to take the cash. Now, were Rovers and Chelsea duelling IT firms, then yeah, I'd stay at the one I loved regardless of the pay, because I'd have a realistic chance of making it to retirement with one of them. But as the system stands, sadly, I'd have to take the money.

Chelsea no question, and by the way you phrased it I presume that means you think we're not 'real fans' now.

I'd still support Rovers no doubt so your other point about why not support them if all we are after money or glory is simply ludicrous

Who said that? Please don't put words in people mouths..

Anyone who says Rovers needs a knock in the head.

Id rather sit back when i hang my boots up with a good wedge in the bank, a cabinet of silverware in the lounge and a good amount of england caps to my name (despite what people think you have to be at a top club to be an england regular).

With rovers it would be a love and pride thing but if you want to hit the pinnacle of your profession you would choose chelsea.

Anyone who says Rovers needs a knock in the head.

Id rather sit back when i hang my boots up with a good wedge in the bank, a cabinet of silverware in the lounge and a good amount of england caps to my name (despite what people think you have to be at a top club to be an england regular).

With rovers it would be a love and pride thing but if you want to hit the pinnacle of your profession you would choose chelsea.

Say, Burnley came to you and offered you £150,000 a week to play for them with a five year contract would you take it??... :rolleyes::rolleyes:...Some times love and pride are more important..But most have a point about the temptation of huge riches and sliverware...

I think Alan Shearer is a pretty decent example here. When I look at his career I think he completely wasted an opportunity. A player of that calibre should have medals galore and been recognised as one of the best strikers of his generation. Moving to Newcastle out of love for his club was certainly commendable but it would surely have been a much better idea for him to go to Utd (or, if I had my own way, stay at Rovers forever).

• Backroom

It's amazing how many people on here would do the 'moral' thing yet how often do we see it in the real game?

This leads me to believe it is 100% different in practice than in theory

Oh ans shearer didn't go to Toon purely for the love of them, would he have gone if they were a couple of divisions lower and asked him to? I think not.

Thanks TCO, saved me the bother of replying to Mr E.

Anyone can say they'd stay at Rovers when it is hypothetical. It's nothing to be commended, and doesn't mean they care more about Rovers or see the team differently to those that say they would leave. The suggestion is pretty insulting actually.

Say, Burnley came to you and offered you £150,000 a week to play for them with a five year contract would you take it??... :rolleyes::rolleyes:...Some times love and pride are more important..But most have a point about the temptation of huge riches and sliverware...

Yes if burnley were in the champions league and improved my chances of playing for england.

When heart rules head is when things go tits up

On Shearer.....a club like Newcastle SHOULD (but couldn't) win silverware. This is the view of the Geordies. Shearer was a Geordie. Put 2+2 and the result is that Shearer had a distorted perception that his beloved club were also constantly on verge of riches and trophies. Did I make 5, or do people see my logic (or lack of) here?

Archived