BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Would You Rather Play For Rovers Or Chelsea?

Mr. E

Blackburn v Chelsea  

164 members have voted

1. 1. See Below

• Blackburn
    • Chelsea

£20k or £120k is a complete no brainer for me. I think I'd have a much harder choice between the more realistic decision of £60k or £120k though.

Agreed on that. The likelihood is, though, that Rovers would want the player out the door as quickly as possible given some of the numbers being discussed.

The right thing to do for yourself AND for Rovers would be to take the Chelsea deal. All this "loyalty" is very misguided.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the main problem, is that for most people £20k a week is dream land. To get that and play for the team you support is a unbelievable.

However, as soon as you start getting used to £20k a week, you start to wonder if it is enough. You are saddled with a huge mortgage to pay for your mock tudor mansion, your agent takes 10% of everything you earn, your ex-model girlfriend is planning a wedding that will set you back £100k and constant demands for £3k dresses, jewellery and lets not forget that £50k engagement ring. Oh, and you have developed a liking for Ferrari's - the girlfriend is more practical with her Mercedes convertible and BMW X5.

Your accountant rings and warns you you aren't putting enough away to keep this standard of living when you retire. Your agent rings - Chelski will offer £120k a week for your services - and pay Rovers £30m for your signature.

The £120k is tempting - set you up for life in this increasingly extravagant life style. Then you feel guilty - Rovers are my club, how can I abandon them - then you ease your guilt by thinking of the transfer money for Rovers.

So you sign on the dotted line - but Rovers are still the first result you look for. The first time you score against Rovers you refuse to celebrate - but a little bit of you dies inside.

I think the main problem, is that for most people £20k a week is dream land. To get that and play for the team you support is a unbelievable.

However, as soon as you start getting used to £20k a week, you start to wonder if it is enough. You are saddled with a huge mortgage to pay for your mock tudor mansion, your agent takes 10% of everything you earn, your ex-model girlfriend is planning a wedding that will set you back £100k and constant demands for £3k dresses, jewellery and lets not forget that £50k engagement ring. Oh, and you have developed a liking for Ferrari's - the girlfriend is more practical with her Mercedes convertible and BMW X5.

Your accountant rings and warns you you aren't putting enough away to keep this standard of living when you retire. Your agent rings - Chelski will offer £120k a week for your services - and pay Rovers £30m for your signature.

The £120k is tempting - set you up for life in this increasingly extravagant life style. Then you feel guilty - Rovers are my club, how can I abandon them - then you ease your guilt by thinking of the transfer money for Rovers.

So you sign on the dotted line - but Rovers are still the first result you look for. The first time you score against Rovers you refuse to celebrate - but a little bit of you dies inside.

Beautiful work. Pretty much sums it up.

Can't be many examples of ex-Rovers players to which the last paragraph applies though...?

I like this analysis too.

But, speaking for me, that's the thing - I wouldn't want those extravagances anyway. I mean, I'm no Gandhi, but I have no desire to live in palace-like mansions, own numerous of the most expensive convertibles, or want a girlfriend/wife that is obsessed with royalty-like luxury. I feel much more excitement thinking about holding a cup with Rovers or helping the team achieve a famous victory instead of sitting on a throne of money surrounded by shiny things.

I like this analysis too.

But, speaking for me, that's the thing - I wouldn't want those extravagances anyway. I mean, I'm no Gandhi, but I have no desire to live in palace-like mansions, own numerous of the most expensive convertibles, or want a girlfriend/wife that is obsessed with royalty-like luxury. I feel much more excitement thinking about holding a cup with Rovers or helping the team achieve a famous victory instead of sitting on a throne of money surrounded by shiny things.

Never having met you, I can't really comment whether you would have the strength of character to stay true to your roots when all your friends and work mates would be enjoying the trappings of their success. For the most ardent of fans - I think it would be a tough call.

I think one thing everyone would agree on - it would be nice to level the playing field so it wasn't so much about money. I still think a very high percentage of true rovers supporters would be tempted by the money and increased chances of success. It is such a shame that there is so much disparity - even in just one league - let alone those outside the relative financial security of the Premiership. I still remember Wimbledon, Ipswich, Notts Forest rising from nowhere based on good managers and picking up the right players - sadly there is no chance of that these days. In many ways it is sad that we can even have this debate - as it just highlights the difference between Rovers (only 14 years after being Premiership Kings) and Chelsea/City/Arsenal/United/Liverpool etc.

Thank you Mr Smartarse. The point I was trying to make-which has now been echoed later in the thread is that whilst 20k a weeks sounds small compared to 120k a week, its a life changing salary of £1m a yr would make you very comfotably off!

Oh right. Yes it would...... but I seriously doubt that you have taken into account what 1m pa becomes after tax and expenses?

There IS loyalty in players and managers and fans, but the fact is that other factors will always come into it. Whether it's Del Piero, Maldini, John Terry, Steven Gerrard, Henrik Larsson or even Pele... they were all (or still are) playing for a club they love that is CHALLENGING FOR TROPHIES in their respective leagues. It's a completely different situation. You can't tell me that a league one player would never jump at the opportunity to be a first team player at one of the big four?

The money you earn on your 40k/week salary is an illusion, as thenodrog said... a lot of it is taxed, the rest goes away towards various other expenses, some that you have to give involuntarily. You're forced into a rich lifestyle if you have a lot of wealth, you can't go live in a studio apartment the whole time. Why would you anyway? Whether you use all that money or not, you're not going to hide it under your bed. So even if you give half your money to charity, you might as well go earn more so you can give more as well. How many players playing at big clubs have made a lot of money and then spent it to invest in football academies and other community projects in their home countries?

T4E is as guilty as Mr E is for telling people what they should or would do. We are al different and are entitled to our own priorities and to think for ourselves.

I had a job where I was the highest paid worker but I left it because I stopped enjoying it and took a pay cut to go somewhere else where the environment was much better.

Just because someone says they would prefer to stay at Rovers doesn't mean they are taking the moral high ground or that they are illogical or they think they are better supporters.

There are many different factors that lead to a happier life and they are different for different people, especially those with a bit more life experience.

It is interesting that many seem to say they would take the Chelsea cash, fair enough, I don't blame Lucas Neill, David Bentley or Stephen Warnock for leaving, but it seems so many others hold it against them. So given that many would sign for Chelsea does that mean you understand these and others being motivated by money, European football etc?

Henrik Larsson

Aha! Is this a good example of a man echewing money? I mean he stayed at Celtic for ages when he could have made a lot more else where. He must have had offers that massively exceeded his salary at Parkhead?

He did eventually end up at Barcelona on mega money - so it isn't the most saintly case - but he did seem to really value being at Celtic despite clearly being twice as good as everyone else in the league.

Can any of our Scotish fans provide details as to whether he spurned wheel barrows of cash?

Aha! Is this a good example of a man echewing money? I mean he stayed at Celtic for ages when he could have made a lot more else where. He must have had offers that massively exceeded his salary at Parkhead?

He did eventually end up at Barcelona on mega money - so it isn't the most saintly case - but he did seem to really value being at Celtic despite clearly being twice as good as everyone else in the league.

Can any of our Scotish fans provide details as to whether he spurned wheel barrows of cash?

But he was still playing for the best team in the SPL and had regular play in the Champions league.

But he was still playing for the best team in the SPL and had regular play in the Champions league.

Best team in the SPL out of what? 2? It's pretty much Celtic and Rangers.

The regular CL appearances were the result of having no challenges to the top 2 in SPL, and its not like Celtic ever reached that far in the competition. I'd wager guaranteed CL group stage football (and an early exit) cease to be so exiting after a while too.

I've said Rovers, but then again if I was a professional footballer I suspect it would be different and I wouldn't be looking at it through a fans eyes. I was saying the other day that it must be great to score in front of your home team crowd and your family ringing you up to congratulate you. For me Dunny is living the dream.

T4E is as guilty as Mr E is for telling people what they should or would do. We are al different and are entitled to our own priorities and to think for ourselves.

I had a job where I was the highest paid worker but I left it because I stopped enjoying it and took a pay cut to go somewhere else where the environment was much better.

Just because someone says they would prefer to stay at Rovers doesn't mean they are taking the moral high ground or that they are illogical or they think they are better supporters.

There are many different factors that lead to a happier life and they are different for different people, especially those with a bit more life experience.

It is interesting that many seem to say they would take the Chelsea cash, fair enough, I don't blame Lucas Neill, David Bentley or Stephen Warnock for leaving, but it seems so many others hold it against them. So given that many would sign for Chelsea does that mean you understand these and others being motivated by money, European football etc?

Thank god there are at least two people on here able to provide a reasonable debate rather than telling those that chose Blackburn they are lying.

No-one on here knows me, or how I think, not to mention any of the experience I have that led me to the decision I made. Thanks for telling me what I should be thinking but I have a wife who does that job for me very well already.

The key point for me is that the question itself is based in a fantasy scenario - as such my answer is the one that would fulfil that fantasy. I have little interest in the affairs of any other football team in the world aside from Blackburn Rovers, in particular any of the media darlings or so-called 'BIG FOUR'. I have never in mylife dreamt of pulling on a Chelsea/Arenal/Liverpool or Man Utd shirt, and never will. If we let realism come into the argument, how far should we take it? I would sign for Chelsea because actually, the wife is upset I was pictured with some slappers in a Burnley nightclub on a night out with El Hadji, and thinks we should get away from the bad influences and make a fresh start. But she didn't fancy Arsenal as she doesn't get on with Theo Walcott's other half but is very close to John Terry's mother and indeed his whole family. Also Chelsea offered to help me out with a few problems I got into with the tax office as well... How real do you want it?!

No - as a kid (and yes I admit it, during a weak moment even as I approach middle age) Blackburn is the team in my head I scored winning goals for in the CHampions League final, I was the one holding the Premier League trophy with Alan Shearer, and it was my name you were all chanting. If I imagine myself in any other football shirt, I feel dirty and just plain wrong.

So am I confident I would pick Rovers?

I Know I Am, I'm Sure I Am...

PS. Just a brief explanation for Roversmum - we are men and we are (some of us) a little silly and won't let go of our childhood! Please just ignore or indulge us our fantasy time! ;)

Start at Rovers, move to Chelsea for £20m, win a few leagues and a European cup, return to Rovers on a Bosman 3 or 4 years later.

Personally it could never be just about the money. I couldn't live in the south East no matter how much you paid me, unless it was the only place I could possibly get a job. I've looked several times at moving job and end up staying here because I've found a school that, for all its faults, suits me. If the question had been Man Utd or rovers then it might have been a bit different as i could still live in the area I like and yet play for a big team. Same if one of the Nottingham teams or Newcastle were big teams nowadays. I'd go there and play for them if the place felt right, but not London and the South east. every time i go down there I feel closed in and can't wait to get away.

Not football but he is English and it is kind of relevant

Former NBA star John Ameachi

Amaechi may have been best known for turning down a $17 million contract offer from the Los Angeles Lakers in 2000, opting to remain in Orlando for $600,000 per year

Amaechi also explained why he played for Orlando in 2000 for much less than the $17 million offered to him by the Lakers; his answer was that Orlando had hired him in 1999 when no other team would. "There are many people who are asked what their word is worth, and when people ask me that I can say, 'At least $17 million.'"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Amaechi

Personally it could never be just about the money. I couldn't live in the south East no matter how much you paid me, unless it was the only place I could possibly get a job. I've looked several times at moving job and end up staying here because I've found a school that, for all its faults, suits me. If the question had been Man Utd or rovers then it might have been a bit different as i could still live in the area I like and yet play for a big team. Same if one of the Nottingham teams or Newcastle were big teams nowadays. I'd go there and play for them if the place felt right, but not London and the South east. every time i go down there I feel closed in and can't wait to get away.

I have moved a hell of a lot in my life, so I'm almost the opposite. I would like to live in different places and so on, and not risk ending up in some place that is fossilising. The Bosman transfer I suggested ould be for a lot less money if I was at Chelsea, and the Chelsea move would be as much for the chance of winning something as well as the £120,000 p/w. Put it this way, how often do people forget that Shearer won the league with us, and that's his only honour?

Oh, I too have moved plenty teesside to Nottingham to France to winchester and then to somerset before ending up here. There's loads of places I could move to and be quite happy. Similarly with jobs - I've moved around a fair bit there and even worked in a private school at one point. However, not London and the south east. I have family there so i go quite often and I just hate the whole ethos and atmosphere. I guess I'm just not a big city person and would only live in a city you could escape into some real countryside from. as I said, it's not that if i were a player I would only want to play for rovers, just that chelsea is a bad option as far as I'm concerned and money alone couldn't be the deciding factor. the right feel, the right teammates, the right environment for my kids etc would all be more important than just the cash.

Archived