BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Blackburns Marks And Spencers

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're right, but it does state the new store is larger.

But how large?

I'd have liked youmg Tom to have given us the current total retail space against the prosed space then compare this against Boltons and Prestons M6S.

No point creating a new M&S store if it doesnt stock ALL the latest lines, when one will then have to travel to other towns to find these items, is there? this is what i´m trying to find out.

But how large?

I'd have liked youmg Tom to have given us the current total retail space against the prosed space then compare this against Boltons and Prestons M6S.

No point creating a new M&S store if it doesnt stock ALL the latest lines, when one will then have to travel to other towns to find these items, is there? this is what i´m trying to find out.

The new store will be 50,000 sq ft.

The biggest problems Blackburn has in order to have a successful shopping centre are the diabolical road system and the parking. The whole thing is a planning nightmare. I would need big discounts to cover the cost of petrol looking for a parking space and the parking charges and I would rather stick hot pins in my eyes than use that tradgedy of a high rise car park.

Accrington centre is a collection of pound shops, charity shops and empty premises but at least you can park for free whilst you shop.

The biggest problems Blackburn has in order to have a successful shopping centre are the diabolical road system and the parking. The whole thing is a planning nightmare. I would need big discounts to cover the cost of petrol looking for a parking space and the parking charges and I would rather stick hot pins in my eyes than use that tradgedy of a high rise car park.

Accrington centre is a collection of pound shops, charity shops and empty premises but at least you can park for free whilst you shop.

Never understand this argument. The orbital route has made things so easy ... you can enter town from any side now. As for car parks ... just been in town this afternoon ... no problems parking just behind Northgate ... and remember there is a new multi-storey taking shape in front of the college and the extension of the Mall involves an extension to the existing multi-storey.

Never understand this argument. The orbital route has made things so easy ... you can enter town from any side now. As for car parks ... just been in town this afternoon ... no problems parking just behind Northgate ... and remember there is a new multi-storey taking shape in front of the college and the extension of the Mall involves an extension to the existing multi-storey.

All those parking spaces are pay spaces and most are only for an hour. Never did really comprehend how it is reasonable to charge me to park on a road that I had already paid for! If it does not interfere with traffic when you pay, how come it does when you don't? I for one will not shop in Blackburn whilst I have to pay for the privelige.

Maybe you understand the 'orbital' system but as I now live out of town it totally baffles me enough to stay out of the town centre.

I know you are proud to live in Blackburn. I used to be, but not any more.

All those parking spaces are pay spaces and most are only for an hour. Never did really comprehend how it is reasonable to charge me to park on a road that I had already paid for! If it does not interfere with traffic when you pay, how come it does when you don't? I for one will not shop in Blackburn whilst I have to pay for the privelige.

Maybe you understand the 'orbital' system but as I now live out of town it totally baffles me enough to stay out of the town centre.

I know you are proud to live in Blackburn. I used to be, but not any more.

Al, there are parking places in and around Blackburn town centre that are free, ranging from 1 hour upto 4 hours so its not all pay and display.

Al, there are parking places in and around Blackburn town centre that are free, ranging from 1 hour upto 4 hours so its not all pay and display.

I'm not calling you a liar but I never found one and have given up trying.

I'm not calling you a liar but I never found one and have given up trying.

Have you never been on the Vue cinema side of the railway station, upto four hours free on there Al and there a plenty of spaces.

There are a couple of streets in and around the centre that actually have parking meters, but if you press for a ticket WITHOUT paying, they will issue upto one hours free parking.

Never understand this argument. The orbital route has made things so easy ...

How can that be so? After most of a generation since it's inception it hasn't bloody well 'orbited' anything yet. The length of time it has taken and the accompanying disruption and inconvenience is an embarrassment to the town.

btw From the top of that Blackburn eye all we'll be able to do 'of interest' is count minarets.

The thing that worries me most about M&S moving into the mall is that its delaying the project for an extra year till SPRING 2011. How can this be when the structure is pretty much complete?

Also on people saying M&S current location will not be filled. I seem to remember TJ Hughes stating they wanted to remain in Blackburn. Seems an ideal location to me...

Have to say Al I can't remember the last time it was a problem to find parking in Blackburn. I don't go in very often but it's never a problem to park within a few minutes walk of the main shopping area.

How can that be so? After most of a generation since it's inception it hasn't bloody well 'orbited' anything yet. The length of time it has taken and the accompanying disruption and inconvenience is an embarrassment to the town.

Not quite "a generation" Gordon.

Re-aligning a road system which was originally based on a a 100 year old Victorian system takes a little while and a little planning and a perhaps a little patience on behalf of everyone concerned. The scheme has been planned for just a few years.

I don't suppose that anyone wants traffic moving from (say) Brownhill to Pleasington to be trying to get through the centre of the town.

Probably better that it takes a bit of a circular route so that the town centre doesn't get all clogged up. What do you reckon?

I don't suppose that anyone wants traffic moving from (say) Brownhill to Pleasington to be trying to get through the centre of the town.

Probably better that it takes a bit of a circular route so that the town centre doesn't get all clogged up. What do you reckon?

There is already the Arterial road for that.

btw Do you know the actual year when Blackburns Inner ring road was first conceived? I know it's laughably been opened since 2002.

" The Orbital Route has now been in use since the beginning of 2002 when phase one was completed and the town centre is already starting to see the benefits of reduced through traffic."

Benefits? The popular opinion is that the town centre is virtually dead in the water.

The popular opinion is that the town centre is virtually dead in the water.

I'm wasn't commenting on your opinion on that. It may well be true, but it's a digression from my comment that it's better for through traffic to go round a town centre than through it.

Through traffic, by its very definition, doesn't stop in a town centre. It just causes congestion. Isn't it better to send the traffic that doesn't want to go into the centre of a town round the outside?

Through traffic, by its very definition, doesn't stop in a town centre. It just causes congestion. Isn't it better to send the traffic that doesn't want to go into the centre of a town round the outside?

I'm coming to the conclusion that the citizens of Blackburn might never know Colin.

Short term Blackburn parking isnt that expensive by say Manchester standrards (about £1.70 for 2 hours maybe?4 hours for £1.50 on Saturday and after 6 theres plenty of free around Northgate area..Aint worth the petrol trying to find one for free or worth such a long walk....Round the Shearbank/old YMCA area may have some

Short term Blackburn parking isnt that expensive by say Manchester standrards (about £1.70 for 2 hours maybe?4 hours for £1.50 on Saturday and after 6 theres plenty of free around Northgate area..Aint worth the petrol trying to find one for free or worth such a long walk....Round the Shearbank/old YMCA area may have some

Precisely. If Blackburn council want me to spend my money in their town centre why should I pay to park on the roads that I already own? An hour's free parking after using half a tank of petrol looking for a space is not enough and the multi story is an expensive disaster. Sorry town centre shops but you won't get my business.

IF, TJ Hughes takes over the current M&S site, then thats got to be extremely positive news for Blackburn town centre as whole.

Just been in the M&S cafe, couldnt find a seat so I walked out, hopefully a new M&S will have a bigger more modern cafe on site to accomodate the masses in future.

The new Mall building is looking pretty impressive, must say. Hopefully a few bars/cafe shops along the Church street side will totally rejuvenate a stale Blackburn Town centre, hopefully.

Not quite "a generation" Gordon.

Re-aligning a road system which was originally based on a a 100 year old Victorian system takes a little while and a little planning and a perhaps a little patience on behalf of everyone concerned. The scheme has been planned for just a few years.

Just a few years? Where do you get your info? I've been reliably informed from the horses mouth as it were, that the first drawings of the Barbara Castle Way were first drawn up before man walked on the moon, when Celtic and Man U ruled European Cup football, when England were World Cup holders, and about the same time that Enoch Powell was being crucified for his stance against mass immigration. 1968..... and only 10 years from being two generations! Patience??? ffs!

IF, TJ Hughes takes over the current M&S site, then thats got to be extremely positive news for Blackburn town centre as whole.

Just been in the M&S cafe, couldnt find a seat so I walked out, hopefully a new M&S will have a bigger more modern cafe on site to accomodate the masses in future.

The new Mall building is looking pretty impressive, must say. Hopefully a few bars/cafe shops along the Church street side will totally rejuvenate a stale Blackburn Town centre, hopefully.

TJ Hughes is a somewhat "tacky" shop which people of upbringing would not be seen entering; can we not have a Primarni, or whatever they call it, instead? Or even better a John Lewis, or Sell Fridges perhaps?

Archived