BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Touchline Or Up In The Stands

Iceman

Ive mentioned this before, but im slowly getting annoyed with Sam sitting in a directors box, or up in the stands. To me, whether it makes a difference or not a manager should be in the dugout or on the touchline. Wenger was down there, as part of a team not sat with a chairman. Is there a select bunch of games where he sits in a directors box? What do you guys make of this? Might sound petty, but to me its rubbish.

I don't see a problem with it. Infact I quite like the idea of sitting up top for the first half and being in the dug out for the second half.

Obviously he's given his team talk in the dressing room pre-match as well as working on things in training throughout the week so being up high and overlooking the whole pitch gives him a good idea of whats going right or wrong and then being able to solve the problems at half time.

Sitting on the bench in the second half means he can communicate with the subs he's going to bring on as well as be able to change tactics if it looks like things aren't going to plan and time is running out.

Note:

It's kinda hard explaining what he does in a positive way after watching our second half performance against Arsenal today but I'm sure if I wrote the same thing after the Villa game or the Wolves game then it wouldn't seem so bad :lol:

Strange, that if Sam is not happy with something then he will let the bench know to inform the players. Or he will wait till half time, to address any issues or problems.

Allardyce has always said that he watches it from upstairs as it gives him a better view of the game and so he can see where the threats are coming from. It makes perfect sense, he is in full contact with the bench all the time so can relay any messages to them to pass on to the pitch. He never sits in directors box but up in the stands. I'm sure if things go really bad in the 1st half then he will come down before half time much like Hughes did (I'm pretty sure he did it also, if not him it was Souness)

I actually shouted "Allardyce, get your big, fat arse down on the pitch you clown"...at the telly..The neighbours must have thought I was murdering someone with all the shouting and swearing I did at the telly... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I used to sit on the bottom tear of the Jack Walker stand to watch Rovers matches however when I got home and watched things back on Match of the day things looked totally different to what I had seen because I missed so much. Sitting up in the stands gives a much better view of what is going on so thats where I sit now.

Given this I think its fine that Sam sits in the stands. He has his little mic if he needs to send any orders.

Allardyce has always said that he watches it from upstairs as it gives him a better view of the game and so he can see where the threats are coming from. It makes perfect sense, he is in full contact with the bench all the time so can relay any messages to them to pass on to the pitch. He never sits in directors box but up in the stands. I'm sure if things go really bad in the 1st half then he will come down before half time much like Hughes did (I'm pretty sure he did it also, if not him it was Souness)

Agree totally.

Ah, Souey... What a character!

Fear not, Iceman, Big Neil McDonald, complete with ear-piece, is down on the touch-line for the first half and perfectly capable of conveying Big Sam's every thought to the players!!!

It's true what Cocker says, you do get a totally different perspective up there. I quite like my spot on the second row near the bench though, it's useful for bellowing my own instructions to the officials, particularly the linesmanass. ref. should he not be fulfilling his duty correctly :D

Ah, Souey... What a character!

Fear not, Iceman, Big Neil McDonald, complete with ear-piece, is down on the touch-line for the first half and perfectly capable of conveying Big Sam's every thought to the players!!!

It's true what Cocker says, you do get a totally different perspective up there. I quite like my spot on the second row near the bench though, it's useful for bellowing my own instructions to the officials, particularly the linesmanass. ref. should he not be fulfilling his duty correctly :D

Were you one of those that stood up in the Villa game and mimicked Sam's 'curve ball' motion like about a dozen others did? That made me laugh and a few of us in the BBE Lower joined in lol

I have to confess I was not but it was funny!

My mate timed Sam and he did it for a full 47 seconds!! My God, are the players that blind? Whatever he meant, it worked!! AND gaves us some TOP quality laughs. As did Dunny's antics with a packet of crisps HAHAAAA. Never thought I'd laugh so hard at something that had nothing to do with footy at Ewood!

:lol::lol::lol:

My mate timed Sam and he did it for a full 47 seconds!! My God, are the players that blind? Whatever he meant, it worked!! AND gaves us some TOP quality laughs. As did Dunny's antics with a packet of crisps HAHAAAA. Never thought I'd laugh so hard at something that had nothing to do with footy at Ewood!

:lol::lol::lol:

To get back to the question - I understand the logic of the manager being in the stand rather than on the touchline, but personally I like to see him on the touchline. I know the players can't hear a word he's saying and by and large don't seem to take much notice anyway, but i feel that being close like that must scare them if they actually have to run past him.

To get back to the question - I understand the logic of the manager being in the stand rather than on the touchline, but personally I like to see him on the touchline. I know the players can't hear a word he's saying and by and large don't seem to take much notice anyway, but i feel that being close like that must scare them if they actually have to run past him.

I getcha. The 2nd half is when we shoot to the BBE, which is when Pedersen is closest to Big Sam!! It stops the players passing to Peders!! PROBLEM SOLVED!!! :P:lol:

I don't think it particularly makes a difference. Sam's instructions are still being conveyed to the touchline.

He can sit where he likes. The views much better up there and he'll get a better appreiciation of the workings in that particular game.

If thats the case, then why doesnt he just get a nice high definition tv. Better view, replays etc. I use to coach, and imo being close to the pitch is much better. If Sam cannot see from the touchline, then his eyes need to be tested. I might be wrong, but ive never seen SAF, Wenger, Mourinho, Benitez or Ancelotti in the stands, unless they have been sent by the ref.

If thats the case, then why doesnt he just get a nice high definition tv. Better view, replays etc. I use to coach, and imo being close to the pitch is much better. If Sam cannot see from the touchline, then his eyes need to be tested. I might be wrong, but ive never seen SAF, Wenger, Mourinho, Benitez or Ancelotti in the stands, unless they have been sent by the ref.

Oh dear....it's not something to get your knickers in a twist about....he's always done it and it's his way. :wacko:

Iceman, I've played football at a very high youth level and I've now started coaching and have been doing that for a couple years, now I don't have any real responsibilities during the match, but I can say that from the touchline there it is very difficult to judge how certain aspects of the game are developing. A slightly elevated view that allows you to clearly see the opposite side of the pitch would be a huge advantage. He could get that from a TV, but I see nothing wrong with him sitting in the stands. I don't see why he doesn't sit in the stands for the entire match if he really feels it is advantageous, but that's another matter.

Archived